Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Singabule
Singabule

Re: Honda Power Unit

Hi glenntws, you starting give us 'food for thought'. Are u wazari san nephew? :shock: it is make sense that If honda create common Block for both ice and mguh? And seal it with thermal paste to give them very low COG? And what hapen if the vibration make the very thin seal if there is electrical shock from mguh in certain point? Will this short circuit turn the engine off immediately?
Last edited by Singabule on 17 Mar 2017, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

HPD

“Obviously the problems we had in Barcelona limited our track time and put added pressure on our pre-season preparations, however, we were still able to generate a huge amount of useful data – as was McLaren,” Hasegawa added.

“Also, we were not dealing with lots of different problems, despite how it looked from the outside.

“Already while in Barcelona we were able to introduce some countermeasures and we proved the effectiveness of these during test two.

“In terms of performance, there is room for improvement with mapping before Melbourne in order to have better driveability.

“And at the same time we will continue to work on our development to generate more power from the PU.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... f1-883423/

dren

Just with road cars, especially turbo charged engines, quite a bit at times. Sometimes 20% gains can be seen. These PUs are many times more complex. It also depends on what the PUs theoretical potential is and what it is currently making.

I'd say driveability and reliability will be a big help, too. The car looked a little hard to drive during testing.
Honda!

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

glenntws wrote:......What many of you forget, is the heat that the MGU-H itself generates.
........However, if you think about the high power density which the MGU-H must have, it seems pretty hard to achieve acceptable temperatures. You would need strong insulation on the coil windings.
...... A bigger problem would be to dampen the shaft accurately, because interferences with the longitudinal vibrations of the engine seem programmed.
it will generate heat at about 1 kW
(a prominent poster with EV involvement has shown a motor performance plot exceeding 99% efficiency)

insulation needs to be rather temperature resistant, rather mechanically strong, and rather good at insulating electrically
PTFE has a high temperature resistance but is inferior in some mechanical ways

the shaft with rotor is doing over 100000 rpm so has big issues of its own

some background regarding liquid cooling channels etc and the need for air cooling of the rotor
http://www.engineeringmechanics.cz/pdf/18_2_143.pdf
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 17 Mar 2017, 14:28, edited 3 times in total.

glenntws
glenntws

Singabule wrote:Hi glenntws, you starting give us 'food for thought'. Are u wazari san nephew? :shock: it is make sense that If honda create common Block for both ice and mguh? And seal it with thermal paste to give them very low COG? And what hapen if the vibration make the very thin seal if there is electrical shock from mguh in certain point? Will this short circuit turn the engine off immediately?
Again, sadly I'm not a engineer at Honda :D but you idea is good.

If I am allowed to go a little bit OT: Actually, I'm currently thinking to put the generatur of the thermal recovery unit of my project in a Shell that is casted as a part of the engine block. Currently, I have only a Little bit of time but when I get to start a thread, I can Show you what I mean. There is still plenty of simulations left, but this solution would not only lower the COG, but also increace strength of the engine and provide further isolation to the intake area.

Regarding the seal and the short circuiting: Yes, this would be one problem. But instead of thermal paste, I would suggest that Honda uses something like a rubber seal with PTFE or something like that, which gets torqued down very tightly. This would isolate everything pretty good.

glenntws
glenntws

Tommy Cookers wrote:
glenntws wrote:......What many of you forget, is the heat that the MGU-H itself generates.
........However, if you think about the high power density which the MGU-H must have, it seems pretty hard to achieve acceptable temperatures. You would need strong insulation on the coil windings.
...... A bigger problem would be to dampen the shaft accurately, because interferences with the longitudinal vibrations of the engine seem programmed.
it will generate about 1 kW
(a prominent poster with EV involvement has shown a motor performance plot exceeding 99% efficiency)

insulation needs to be rather temperature resistant, rather mechanically strong, and rather good at insulating electrically
PTFE has a high temperature resistance

the shaft with rotor is doing over 100000 rpm so has big issues of its own
You are completely right. If this efficiency figure is right, then the biggest problem indeed would be keeing to MGU-H cool and Isolate it from the other hot areas.

PTFE is something pretty wonderful form the perspective of a engineer. I think it's used very much at every possible Corner in a F1 PU. Not only isolating good, but it also makes up for great seals and low friction.

Singabule
Singabule

So their primary suspect is their insulator vendor! It getting silly :lol:
Also, i think we finally have the answer why mclaren have the smallest opening on the head, because they simply didnt need it!

godlameroso

With the money they have I wonder if they use silver windings.
Saishū kōnā

JonoNic

I would like to know if the oil used in an F1 PU could be magnetised (by using the MGU-K or H) and therefore the lower level of oil could increase performance? As I understand any electricity could create the magnetic field and it could be strong enough to coat the internals of the ICE. Could Honda do this and would there be lots of development time?

I posted this question in the topic and this is why I am reposting it
Always find the gap then use it.

godlameroso

How? What magnetic additives could you realistically use in oil In any significant quantity? Just curious.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Mr.G wrote:http://papermodelers.sk/download/imgpl. ... 2b50c01ce6

Looks like they checking a lot of temperatures inside the PU (I've counted ~18 pcs). Those blue connectors looks like for thermal probes data logger...
They are also testing with a Log style manifold for durability it seems. I think we should not be too cencerned about the alleged power numbers. Besides the obvious De-tuning there are too many factors at play.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JonoNic

godlameroso wrote:How? What magnetic additives could you realistically use in oil In any significant quantity? Just curious.
This conversation will quickly go over my head, but with just a little research, this is what I found. I do not know amounts or if it could be sufficient protection.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3416300429
Always find the gap then use it.

daren_p
daren_p

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mr.G wrote:http://papermodelers.sk/download/imgpl. ... 2b50c01ce6

Looks like they checking a lot of temperatures inside the PU (I've counted ~18 pcs). Those blue connectors looks like for thermal probes data logger...
They are also testing with a Log style manifold for durability it seems. I think we should not be too cencerned about the alleged power numbers. Besides the obvious De-tuning there are too many factors at play.

Where did you see log style exhaust manifolds? From those two smallish pics posted it looks like tubular headers covered in a heatshield.

HPD

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4623926273 The electrical insulation problem is on the McLaren side, not Honda.
People take the word of mclaren as the absolute truth ...

alexa
alexa

ziggy wrote:
dren wrote:
ziggy wrote: Do we know what temperature we are talking about? I doubt temperatures in the vee exceed 200 degree celsius. From experience I can tell, that the winding insulation starts to deteriorate at a much higher temperature, so maybe the vibrations cause the insulation to fail. Can be a cooling problem also, otherwise they would have that exact problem on the dyno.

Thermal ratings of insulation classes
These are the highest allowable stator winding temperatures for long insulation life.
Temperatures are total, starting with a maximum ambient of 40° C
Insulation class Maximum winding temperature, C
A 105°
B* 130°
F* 155°
H 180°

http://www.leeson.com/TechnicalInformat ... topic.html
Our newly wound stators operate at 65 C and are good to about double that. We have to actively cool them. I would expect even with better insulation, Honda operates their K at a lower temperature than 200 C.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Honda's K in their initial PU in 2015 oil cooled? I remember them having issues with a seal ring.
Agree with you, but we're talking about the "H in the V" :D

Electromagnetic coils of most typical electromagnetic devices are wound from copper magnet wire. Copper magnet wire
is available with many different types of insulation with the highest temperature insulation being a polyimide varnish
rated for operation at a maximum temperature of 450°F (230°C).

Various powder coatings are typically used as well as tapes and films of kapton, nomex, etc. None of the typical insulation materials will work in an ambient temperature environment of 1000°F (.500°C) There are some powder coatings available that are rated for operation up to 1000°F(.500°C). If the device generates no internal heat, these powder coatings will work.

http://www.firstmarkaerospace.com/pdf/vhtmotors.pdf

In aviation industry there is wide usage of thermal spray powder products for working conditions less then 1350 °C (2460 °F), so there should be no problems to use them also where is necessary on F1 engine. In fact these thermal barrier coating withstand high temperatures for long periods of time in very aggressive environment and can be used in heat shields, turbine airfoils,turbochargers...