Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Sonador
Sonador

Re: Honda Power Unit

It is a issue they have had since the start of the project, it is not the first time that they speak of this issue.
Only because there is a bunch of speculation about their future that the media makes a big story out of it.

What is slightly worrying is that they don't seem to know why that is.

harjan
harjan

Sonador wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 15:33
It is a issue they have had since the start of the project, it is not the first time that they speak of this issue.
Only because there is a bunch of speculation about their future that the media makes a big story out of it.

Hasagewa himself says that they didn't have this issue in 2016..

And for the prior comment- he's not saying that the performance is good. He's just saying that the dyno isn't correlating on reliability. Reading it any different than that is plain wishful thinking.

etusch

HPD wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 15:26
Thunders wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 10:37
Welp, not gonna say i'm surprised....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... no-918068/
He speaks of reliability, right? The new engine gives good results but they are afraid of reliability problems
Unfortunately he didn't talk about good power. İf he talks about power without reliability, for me, it is a good result.
İn fact he didn't talk about reliability too. He talks about that their test results don't match with track. They see it is working and reliable on test but when it comes to track things what they found are not there both side of reliability and power.
Remember Mclaren said that they reach 95 percent test and track corelation. Before this year they also have not got it. I think they have to understood honda

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

[quote=FW17]
They run higher rpm so that they can harvest more from the MGU H
If you read Wazari, there is a explanation to this [/quote]

is that running high rpm and lower boost to maintain the (optimal) mixture as at 10500 ?
or running high rpm maintaining the boost and so leaning the mixture to sub-optimal ?
or increasing backpressure ? (raising recovery but reducing ICE power)

how would any of these or any blend of them work ?
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 13 Jun 2017, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

Tommy Cookers wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 17:12
FW17 wrote: They run higher rpm so that they can harvest more from the MGU H
If you read Wazari, there is a explanation to this
is that running high rpm maintaining the (optimal) mixture as at 10500 by lowering the boost ?
or running high rpm maintaining the boost and so leaning the mixture to sub-optimal ?
or increasing the backpressure to maintain the boost and the optimal mixture (raising recovery but reducing ICE power) ?

how would any of these or any blend of them work ?

What is optimal? Maybe Honda calculated that 13000 rpm is optimal for them.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

so they run less lean than optimal at 10500 ? - or optimally lean at 10500 but use less than the 100 kg/hr permitted ?

PlatinumZealot

Sonador wrote:

Any bets on vibration? Is pretty hard to simulate the specific type of vibration on the dyno. I suggest they put isolated accelerometers on the different parts of the engine and have some vibration rams on their dyno to simulate that. As far as I am aware most engine dynos simulate suspension vibrations and not necessarily engine and drivetrain vibrations?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

Why aren't they running a pair of 2015 McLaren chassis with these development engines full time on track in Japan?

I mean, isn't there unlimited testing with 2 year old cars?

This isn't necessarily down force related, so the Pirelli mule car concept should be relative.

Why isn't this being done?

Craigy

Zynerji wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 18:09
No, (article 10.1 sporting regulations) and even if there were, the current honda wouldn't fit in the 2015 car.
Testing of Current Cars (TCC) is from the past two seasons, and is regulated.
Testing of Previous Cars (TPC) is from the three seasons preceding the previous one (so 2,3,4 years back) and is also regulated.
Testing of Historic Cars (THC) is from seasons before the TPC seasons, and is only allowed with cars built to the spec of that season - so no running a 2018/2019 engine in a 2011 car.

Basically, read section 10 of the sporting regulations, here http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110

Sonador
Sonador

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 17:59
Sonador wrote:

Any bets on vibration? Is pretty hard to simulate the specific type of vibration on the dyno. I suggest they put isolated accelerometers on the different parts of the engine and have some vibration rams on their dyno to simulate that. As far as I am aware most engine dynos simulate suspension vibrations and not necessarily engine and drivetrain vibrations?
Could be, i do not know.

Things like running over kerbs and bumps, and G forces under braking and cornering are difficult to replicate i think.
Renault also had some dyno correlation isseus and they seemed to have resolved it.

Since 2015 you read little hints in intervieuws that Honda is seeing different things between dyno and track.
So that needs sorting out i think.

But i am only an F1 fan, not an expert.
So take anything i say with a pinch of salt.

Zynerji

Craigy wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 18:16
Zynerji wrote:
No, (article 10.1 sporting regulations) and even if there were, the current honda wouldn't fit in the 2015 car.
Testing of Previous Cars (TPC) is from the three seasons preceding the previous one (so 2,3,4 years back) and is also regulated.
Testing of Historic Cars (THC) is from seasons before the TPC seasons, and is only allowed with cars built to the spec of that season - so no running a 2018/2019 engine in a 2011 car.

Basically, read section 10 of the sporting regulations, here http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110
If Brawn could put a Merc engine in the 2009 Honda chassis, Honda could buy and run the never raced 2010 Toyota chassis and modify it from there.

Even buying a Manor chassis from auction would be better than doing nothing.

If Honda is missing one thing, it is some creative "outside the box" thinking.

Wil992
Wil992

Zynerji wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 19:16
Craigy wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 18:16
Zynerji wrote:

If Brawn could put a Merc engine in the 2009 Honda chassis, Honda could buy and run the never raced 2010 Toyota chassis and modify it from there.

Even buying a Manor chassis from auction would be better than doing nothing.

If Honda is missing one thing, it is some creative "outside the box" thinking.
This is banned though, isn't it? They can run a 2010 car under the THC regs, but it would only be allowed if it had a 2010 spec engine.

PlatinumZealot

Not to mention they have half the budget of other engine manufacturers. That is a huge deficit to try anything off the beaten path.Ironically, their budget will greatly improve when they cut ties with McLaren.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sonador
Sonador

Maybe put the engine in a LMP1 like car?

nzjrs

Sonador wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 00:07
Maybe put the engine in a LMP1 like car?
The use of mule cars, specially why they are not used, has been thoroughly discussed in this thread already.