Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Soichiro
Soichiro

Re: Honda Power Unit

GoranF1 wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 12:10
Apparently Hasegawa told some Spanish jurnalist that full spec 3 can be expected in SPA.
If they can put on those 30kW as is being said, then they will reach Renault PU power (appx.).
That should put McHonda to 4th with occasional opportunity to reach for more points if front runners mess it up. IF reliability is there...

GoranF1
GoranF1

Mclaren might be quite close to RB if the update works as expected.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

etusch

GoranF1 wrote:
Apparently Hasegawa told some Spanish jurnalist that full spec 3 can be expected in SPA.
I hope so. It will be great if they can start second half with extra 30 kw.

godlameroso

drunkf1fan wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 02:39
Redragon wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 00:11
I am sorry but you don't start a business spending and investing I big amounts of staff and resources if you don't know the right path, it is bound to be a failure or suicide from the beginning. All businesses start small and invest along as things are needed on the way, step by step. That's why the project is a 10 years plan. The mistake they did was to start too cocky promising wins on year 1 when everybody knew was impossible.
I'd say that a LOT of people believed Honda would be good in the first year. Everywhere i looked and read the sentiment was that Honda were great, had pedigree and would do great. Sky's thing was hyping it up all 2013 and a hell of a lot of fans believed even after preseason testing that Honda would be competitive by the summer. Very few people were calling it a disaster in the making.

Also where Merc had basically 4 seasons to a new regulation period they planned to hit hard so sensibly built up year by year, Honda were rushing in with only 18 months development, they didn't have the option to build up a program slowly at all, they had to hit it full strength straight away. They needed people working on different design options asap to have any chance of finding the right thing. If they wanted a slow build up(which is absolutely the optimum way to do it) they absolutely had to, I mean had to say no to Mclaren's deal and say they want 2.5-3.5 years of development, 18 months was absolutely crazy and once they agreed to that they gave up any dream of building up slowly and sensibly. 18 months and they wanted to catch up to Merc who would be at 4.5 years or so of big budget development by the time they entered.

Even then throwing money isn't the best solution in many circumstances with only 18 months of development time it was the only outside chance they had of hitting 2015 running.
Internal politics wouldn't allow everyone to get their way, it's easy to say in hindsight, but in engineering, equations and formulas are nice but rarely ever account for all variables.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

diffuser wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 11:21
Oonnnn wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 08:05
So, will VAN get a penalty?
Also, for the fact that McLaren knew the MGU-H was near its end-of-milage, why didn't they change it before this GP?
So the FP unit used on Friday wasn't the one they were planning on using for qualli and the race.
You have a pool of parts, often, teams use older parts for practice so as to not add unnecessary mileage to the race components. Unless they're testing new PU elements, it makes no sense to use them in practice, and you don't need to use q3 mode to test chassis components either.
Saishū kōnā

Chene_Mostert

Soichiro wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 15:23
GoranF1 wrote:
If they can put on those 30kW as is being said, then they will reach Renault PU power (appx.).
That should put McHonda to 4th with occasional opportunity to reach for more points if front runners mess it up. IF reliability is there...
2015?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Soichiro
Soichiro

Chene_Mostert wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 16:15
2015?
Come back to the future :D. It's 2017 Renault PU I am talking about.

HPD

Soichiro wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 15:23
GoranF1 wrote:
To stop the rumor of "Spa". I will explain where this comes from..
The Spanish journalist "Carlos Miquel" dines with Hasegawa.
Hasegawa said that they hope to have a better half of the year and that he has a lot of faith in the "deep and next evolution" (Hasegawa never confirmed anything in "Spa")
https://twitter.com/carlosmiquelf1/stat ... 6492962817 Also Albert Fabrega was saying that Honda is seeing good results for the next evolution.
This could be the words of Alonso "I expect other gifts, there are things moving behind the scenes"

Stormy

Honda deserve another chance because this is the first year they pass on a concept to be further developed the next year instead of starting from scratch again.

adrianjordan

Stormy wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 17:31
Honda deserve another chance because this is the first year they pass on a concept to be further developed the next year instead of starting from scratch again.
Wasn't the 2016 unit an evolution of the 2015 one??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

GoranF1
GoranF1

I think by the looks of it on track, Honda has made big progress since new spec introdutcion in Baku until Hungary.
Software fine tuning i guess or maybe they save it for this track.
Last edited by GoranF1 on 29 Jul 2017, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

proteus

GoranF1 wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 22:18
I think by the looks of it on track, Honda has made big progress since new spec introdutcion in Baku until Hungary.
Software fune tuning i guess or maybe they save it for this track.
Lets wait until the race unfolds.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ringo

The new engine formula for 2021 should spur them on. Honda should feel more assurance and stability and develop in a way that would level them up with the other engines for the new engine formula. A twin turbo v6 is it?
I am expecting at least a very good engine in 2019. Next year i only see them in a respectable position; not one of top drawer.
For Sure!!

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

ringo wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 22:41
The new engine formula for 2021 should spur them on. Honda should feel more assurance and stability and develop in a way that would level them up with the other engines for the new engine formula. A twin turbo v6 is it?
I am expecting at least a very good engine in 2019. Next year i only see them in a respectable position; not one of top drawer.
V6 twin turbo with ERS system without MGU-H and bring back refuelling :wtf:

diffuser

ringo wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 22:41
I think that's all up in the air.

They said the want to put something together that will be in new in show rooms in 2026. India has come out and said no gas/ diesel powered cars will be allowed to be sold in 2030 or later. GB said the same for 2040+....