Return of active suspension - 2017

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
DaveW
DaveW

Re: Return of active suspension - 2017

Tommy Cookers wrote:what frequency response is necessary ? ....... and how/why ?
I'm afraid you didn't answer my question - Who thought that active suspension would control metal tyres?

What do you mean precisely by "a frequency response of 5-7 Hz"? Moog Inc. (who produce both) has published a Technical Bulletin (150) on its web site in which the two technologies are compared.

For an F1 vehicle, the suspension must be able to control rigid body modes up to and including the unsprung mass modes, which occur at around 17 Hz. Good passive dampers will handle that easily, although the (poor) installation stiffness of some vehicles means that they are not as effective as they might be.

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

DaveW wrote: the (poor) installation stiffness of some vehicles means that they are not as effective as they might be.
I see this often when measuring aero loads, if you look at simulated or measured spring forces/displacements against actual when comparing to measured loads at the wheel or spring/shock mount. It is dramatic.

Smokes
Smokes

Tommy Cookers wrote:with respect, as they say ........

for 20 years we have had F1 tyres doing the suspension's job
though the servo-hydraulic Lotus F1 approach with suitably lavish software could work well even with solid eg metal 'tyres'
it was overkill, demonstrated by the need for action to prevent the car's structure being 'destruction tested' by the suspension

this approach should be 'designed down' to a rational frequency response ie only as required for suspension with pneumatic tyres
(no doubt others thought about this)
the job could then be done with linear electric actuators or electromechanical actuators (ie no hydraulics)
these could even generate electricity
more so if such actuation was the basis of a Williams F1 style approach
and such a system would better match the direction of road and F1 car technologies
(at the time of F1 active ride I designed electromechanical substitutes to match the performance of in-house servo-hydraulic systems)

but of course F1 is already stuffed with hydraulics
and one wonders what actuation MB has in mind for their their road car F1 style active ride application 5 years from now
electromagnetic actuator performance would degrade as the heat up which be likely in a race car and there would be issues with response due to wire lengths and resistivity varying

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

http://www.moog.com/literature/Space_De ... on_150.pdf

which i'll read later.

OK, you are right, the active system should offer a ride benefit even without preview as the front wheels preview the road for the rears, so you should get a 50% improvement (loosely).

I drove and tested several of the active cars, I don't remember being impressed by the ride, but that wasn't what I was measuring, and I didn't drive the cars before conversion.

gridwalker
gridwalker

I remember development cost being cited as one of the reasons for the active suspension ban back in 1994 and I remember wondering why it wasn't simply standardised at the time. It was clear that a well tuned active suspension system offered numerous benefits and implementing a standardised system would clearly lead to less money spent overall.

Admittedly there were far fewer standardised components back then, so we are now much further down the slippery slope of a spec series, but I am still notionally in favour of the idea. The devil will be in the details, I guess ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

DaveW wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:what frequency response is necessary ? ....... and how/why ?
I'm afraid you didn't answer my question - Who thought that active suspension would control metal tyres?
What do you mean precisely by "a frequency response of 5-7 Hz"? Moog Inc. (who produce both) has published a Technical Bulletin (150) on its web site in which the two technologies are compared.
For an F1 vehicle, the suspension must be able to control rigid body modes up to and including the unsprung mass modes, which occur at around 17 Hz. Good passive dampers will handle that easily, although the (poor) installation stiffness of some vehicles means that they are not as effective as they might be.
Joe Public would be really impressed by active if he could see it working with solid tyres (I think)
because he would see that as the hardest possible job for a suspension system

let's categorise the 'leveller' approach as semi-active suspension, ie series-combined active strut and passive (spring etc)
(for intelligent road or race suspension do we need to go beyond the abilities of the semi-active ?)
the (active) strut of the semi-active system can be electromechanical
intelligently damping (recovery) at the important lower frequencies/longer travel and simplifying the mechanical damping need
on-board capacitive energy storage is normal in servo drives
(from Greg's link) Moog's views of likely electromechanical frequency response capabilities seem similar to those I gave
the electrical energy cost of supporting the vehicle weight is quite small due to the mechanical reducer (ballscrew etc) angle
and could at some times be nil by locking the strut (motors usually have a brake option)

btw ..... a real-world example of in-service problems with complex systems
LSR vehicles have solid (metal) 'tyres'
the LSR holder importantly had a software-controlled suspension functionality for 'real-time' pitch attitude management transonically
the processing hardware regularly failed due to heat etc, eventually the suspension had to be locked (with a rigid strut)
this conservative pitch attitude gave downforce throughout, but this was generally excessive, costing 30 mph ?
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 02 May 2014, 22:21, edited 2 times in total.

DaveW
DaveW

Greg Locock wrote:OK, you are right, the active system should offer a ride benefit even without preview as the front wheels preview the road for the rears, so you should get a 50% improvement (loosely).
You are correct, of course, but the "bogie" effect applies to all cars.

The effect I am referring to can be identified as follows: Imagine, if you will, a sprung mass (Ms) supported vertically by an irreversible strut connected to an un-sprung mass (Mu). If the strut is controlled by an EHSV, then the combination becomes an actuator. The actuator is then an integrator (i.e. the relative velocity of the strut will be proportional to the current supplied to the EHSV). Now, if an accelerometer is attached to Mu, aligned to measure vertical acceleration, and if the output of the accelerometer integrated (to obtain inertial velocity), scaled appropriately and used to drive the actuator, the velocity of the actuator will be inversely proportional to the velocity of Mu. The effect is that any disturbance of Mu will not be transmitted to Ms (at all).

Of course, it is not quite so easy as I have described it here. But it was used in all Lotus active systems, and (as a consequence) also in a truck cab isolator ("we couldn't sell this, the truckies would break the vehicle"), in at least one 7-post rig down-force controller (probably two), and in a helicopter power unit isolation system. For active suspension, the principle is only a small part part of the control laws, the tyre helps to buffer the inputs, and it does away with the need to decide whether an obstacle as a brick (action needed), or a paper bag (forget it). But it does suggest how "sky hook" damping might be implemented.
Greg Locock wrote:I drove and tested several of the active cars, I don't remember being impressed by the ride, but that wasn't what I was measuring, and I didn't drive the cars before conversion.
To be fair, the conversions went fairly deep, but were always compromised in some way. The best (in my view) was a Peug 205/16T homologation special fitted with rear steer. Absolutely stunning.

DaveW
DaveW

Tommy Cookers wrote:... let's categorise the 'leveller' approach as semi-active suspension, ie series-combined active strut and passive (spring etc)
(for intelligent road or race suspension do we need to go beyond the abilities of the semi-active ?)
the (active) strut of the semi-active system can be electromechanical
intelligently damping (recovery) at the important lower frequencies/longer travel and simplifying the mechanical damping need...
To be frank, Tommy, I don't have an issue with the above. Just two thought's: F1 designers go to greats lengths to minimize weight (even choosing to use non-adjustable dampers to save the weight of the adjuster mechanisms - possibly saving 5 grams per). Secondly, the approach does not make the suspension "completely accessible through software algorithms", one of Scarbs suggestions.
Tommy Cookers wrote:btw ..... a real-world example of in-service problems with complex systems
LSR vehicles have solid (metal) 'tyres'
the LSR holder importantly had a software-controlled suspension functionality for 'real-time' pitch attitude management transonically
the processing hardware regularly failed due to heat etc, eventually the suspension had to be locked (with a rigid strut)
this conservative pitch attitude gave downforce throughout, but this was generally excessive, costing 30 mph ?
Curiously, I know something about your real world example (LSR = Land Speed Record, I think).

In it's design phase, I was approached by Richard Noble to design an active suspension system for ThrustSSC. I was intrigued and spent many hours of my own time exploring options.

I was presented with schemes that suggested that they did not actually want an active system, the two front wheels were passively suspended using (I recall) bump rubbers with a total of 16 mm of travel, the single wheel rear bogie was required to be suspended actively to control overall downforce. The rear wheels were steered (my aircraft background suggested that a "tail-dragger" was not the most stable layout), and the bottom of the vehicle was flat.

None of this seemed to make much sense. I tried hard to make them re-think it, but was unsuccessful. I modelled the thing, using guesstimated aero characteristics (the vehicle was to weigh 8 tonnes, I recall, and was thought to generate a downforce of up to 8 tonnes/degree). In my view, the main problem was to catch a rearward shift in centre of pressure before the front wheels left the ground, after which the active system had only inertia to work with. I evolved a solution using actively controlled canard surfaces that, at least, might have prevented the vehicle flipping over. My solution was turned down, so I chose not to become involved.

Much later, I discovered that the project used 2 of "my" active suspension controllers, controllers that had previously survived an F1 practice & racing season. Why the reliability problems? I've no idea, but we didn't see them again after the F1 season had finished. I can only assume that it was a case of (inappropriate) horses for courses. I was told that the "active suspension" idea was dropped fairly early in the program in favour of a ride height scheduling strategy driven by pitot pressure (I assume).

Ultimately, the project was successful. I am sure that was mainly due to the test piloting methods and skills of Andy Green, the driver/pilot.

I can't recall ever worrying about making the active system work with rigid wheels (see my previous post), but I did think about the consequences of an exploding wheel...

autogyro
autogyro

I think I talked briefly with Tony Rudd about using the Lotus system on Geof Garside's Project 425 that never got built.
That was a LSR motorcycle using the BMW turbo F1 engine.
I was consulted by Geof and Lotus on the transmission.
Steering was to have been hub centre and it was to have computer controlled canard and rear horizontal fins for roll stability and pitch.
The driver layed on his back and steered with two TV cameras.
It had solid spun alloy wheels made by Freidrick I think, memory fails me.

rich1701
rich1701

It will be interesting to see how active ride will influence aero philosophy and if teams with experience of the system like Williams or Adrian Newey will have some kind of advantage.

Powerslide

rich1701 wrote:It will be interesting to see how active ride will influence aero philosophy and if teams with experience of the system like Williams or Adrian Newey will have some kind of advantage.
I think teams will definitely go that direction, not to mention all those reactive curb friendly suspension system like J-Damper. Maybe it will take away any notion of mass damper silent emulation. With the amount of sensors and data, who knows how far they can go. One example, they can get tyre pressure sensor to become frequency monitor and send signal to the main frame and it wil send signals to a shock absorber and spring to respond and easy load. Tyre heat map sensor can actually tell the computer whether the camber is being fully utilized or not then control double wish bone height to get full contact patch. It is Star Trek :roll:
speed

DaveW
DaveW

Powerslide wrote: ...not to mention all those reactive curb friendly suspension system like J-Damper....
Interesting statement. An amplification &/or reference would be appreciated.

autogyro
autogyro

A return to active would be a last gasp attempt to overcome the aero rules everything handicap.
It would be marketed as road car relevant which it would not be.
I see added expense not savings.

Psyclone
Psyclone

How many teams already run active suspension for straight line aero tests?

Force India seem to, as said towards the end of this video. (2:15)

Do the teams develop both passive and active systems for each car?
If so, would it not be cheaper to develop only a single system instead of two?
How hard would it be to use the already developed systems in a race scenario?

Powerslide

DaveW wrote:
Powerslide wrote: ...not to mention all those reactive curb friendly suspension system like J-Damper....
Interesting statement. An amplification &/or reference would be appreciated.
Getting an active suspension to behave the same way or a more refined way to those mechanical reactive systems. What did you have in mind? Care to share how I might have amplified your imaginations?
speed