Hamilton Vs Rosberg 2014

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pierce89

Re: Hamilton Vs Rosberg 2014

Emerson.F wrote:So @TurboF1 have you got any FACTUAL evidence to back up your statement about a more 'flamboyant lifestyle?' Anything will do.

Coming from a MOD....Smh...classy

Ps: the whole notion of mindgames has taken on a new meaning imo. Last year we never heard about anything related to mindgames. The same can be atributed to the Nico is more 'cerebral' dogma. I dont buy into all this media hype and creation of stories that aren't even worth mentioning.
Of course Hamiltonlives a more "flamboyant lifestyle". How often have we seen Rosberg in Hollywood or music award shows. How often do we hear about pop stars when talking about Rosberg? I like Hami. He's my second favorite driver after Alonso, but Hamilton fans seemingly have a tendency to attack people who don't think Hamilton is THE BEST EVER in every single aspect.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

SiLo

I think it might have a slight psychological effect. Hamilton can remember times where maybe it was tough for him and his dad with little money, working 3 jobs to get him to his dream. I think it might mean slightly more to him.

Whether is was yesterday or 15 years ago it doesn't matter, people will still remember those moments of compare their success to their most difficult times. I did it with my first degree and a few of my other sporting achievements. Remembering where you started and where you came from gives you perspective.

At at the end of the day, if Hamilton keeps beating Rosberg, it seems like it might be working.

/my2cents
Felipe Baby!

Phil

To be fair, I think it's easier to appreciate having money if you grew up in extremely moderate circumstances. Vice-versa, growing up under a posh lifestyle probably also makes it easier to remain consistent with the way you've always been. I have seen the 'hard working' mentality in lots of people who grew up in less favourable circumstances. It can pretty much dictate your life. Not saying Lewis has gone through that or not - there's no way I (or most here) could judge that really.

I do maintain my point though that these are not mindgames. If a driver merely tries to answer the question being asked in a truthful manner and explains how he sees it through his eyes (regardless if that view is correct, incorrect, far from the truth or accurate) it isn't playing mind-games. Mind games have the clear objective to deceive, distract and achieve something. I don't think these comments do any of that.

Also, lets not forget that most of these drivers are quite young - probably younger than most that post here on these forums. Some of them merely lack the experience to perhaps articulate in a diplomatic way to the press what they think without it causing any (or little) controversy. And even when they do, it doesn't stop the press to take things out of context to create a story where there wasn't one.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

btw, I also want to point out I said he was more flamboyant. I never claimed or actually believe Hamilton's lifestyle comes anywhere close to that of, for example, justin bieber. It's like Pierce said, he'll be more publicly present at all sorts of high profile events (for example, he was present at Cannes next to Nicole), and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But I wanted to put that in contrast to Rosberg, who even though was brought up in financial better circumstances, isn't the type of "showing it off" (by lack of any better words). It isn't like Rosberg is acting like a spoiled rich kid that can't have more hunger to win.
#AeroFrodo

Pierce89

Phil wrote:To be fair, I think it's easier to appreciate having money if you grew up in extremely moderate circumstances. Vice-versa, growing up under a posh lifestyle probably also makes it easier to remain consistent with the way you've always been. I have seen the 'hard working' mentality in lots of people who grew up in less favourable circumstances. It can pretty much dictate your life. Not saying Lewis has gone through that or not - there's no way I (or most here) could judge that really.

I do maintain my point though that these are not mindgames. If a driver merely tries to answer the question being asked in a truthful manner and explains how he sees it through his eyes (regardless if that view is correct, incorrect, far from the truth or accurate) it isn't playing mind-games. Mind games have the clear objective to deceive, distract and achieve something. I don't think these comments do any of that.

Also, lets not forget that most of these drivers are quite young - probably younger than most that post here on these forums. Some of them merely lack the experience to perhaps articulate in a diplomatic way to the press what they think without it causing any (or little) controversy. And even when they do, it doesn't stop the press to take things out of context to create a story where there wasn't one.
You actually believe Hamilton was just giving an honest answer to a question without having a goal behind what he said? If so, you're a much more trusting person than I am.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

turbof1 wrote:btw, I also want to point out I said he was more flamboyant. I never claimed or actually believe Hamilton's lifestyle comes anywhere close to that of, for example, justin bieber. It's like Pierce said, he'll be more publicly present at all sorts of high profile events (for example, he was present at Cannes next to Nicole), and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But I wanted to put that in contrast to Rosberg, who even though was brought up in financial better circumstances, isn't the type of "showing it off" (by lack of any better words). It isn't like Rosberg is acting like a spoiled rich kid that can't have more hunger to win.
Agreed, i think this whole discussion is being blown out of proportions.

And btw Nico seems smart enough to not care about the headlines. He still has Lewis's safe in his house so that might have some leverage :wink:
Last edited by Emerson.F on 23 May 2014, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Phil

I guess I have just seen far too many interviews from Lewis where he said something (without much thought), which were as honest as one could get, but also got him into a bit of trouble here and there. If that particular interview about his up-bringing has any mind-games to it, I'm not quite seeing the point, nor the effect it should cause. In fact, to effectively judge those sentences of having any kind of hidden agenda / higher meaning, it would be great to know the context of the interview, what questions were asked.

I guess I just trust the press to be far more cunning when trying to orchestrate some kind of point in order to get a story or to add fuel. Lewis beating Nico 4 times in a row is the hot topic - of course it's a big thing, so pretty much most questions target this topic. Any sentence in this context is hot material that only adds to the fuel. And I think we all know how quickly a mere sentence can be changed by taking and quoting it out of context. To then attribute the driver as the one who orchestrated and executed that to perfection is.. well.. just a bit far fetched IMO.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

Phil wrote:I guess I have just seen far too many interviews from Lewis where he said something (without much thought), which were as honest as one could get, but also got him into a bit of trouble here and there. If that particular interview about his up-bringing has any mind-games to it, I'm not quite seeing the point, nor the effect it should cause. In fact, to effectively judge those sentences of having any kind of hidden agenda / higher meaning, it would be great to know the context of the interview, what questions were asked.

I guess I just trust the press to be far more cunning when trying to orchestrate some kind of point in order to get a story or to add fuel. Lewis beating Nico 4 times in a row is the hot topic - of course it's a big thing, so pretty much most questions target this topic. Any sentence in this context is hot material that only adds to the fuel. And I think we all know how quickly a mere sentence can be changed by taking and quoting it out of context. To then attribute the driver as the one who orchestrated and executed that to perfection is.. well.. just a bit far fetched IMO.
I think it's as simple as hamilton insinuating that rosberg is a rich spoiled brat and that because of that he doesn't want it as much as Hamilton. Yes Hamilton tried to minimalize it later on in the interview, but he still said it. I could be wrong about the intentions, but this is trying to get underneath the skin of Rosberg. Especially since Rosberg isn't nowhere as agressive in his interviews.

Again, that's just an opinion. I could be wrong altogether and just a brain fade from Hamilton, but I feel he's trying to attack Rosberg at the very least.
#AeroFrodo

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

He never said Nico is a spoiled brat. :lol:

The original article : http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 15845.html
Q: It looks almost certain that it will be you and your team mate Nico Rosberg fighting for the title. One German publication asked last weekend whether Nico is too soft for that fight - because you have more killer instinct. Is that so?
LH: Let me tell you this: I come from a not-great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad’s apartment - and Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and hotels and boats and all these kind of things - so the hunger is different.
Its a witty response to the question asked imo. Well played sir. =D>

Pierce89

Emerson.F wrote:He never said Nico is a spoiled brat. :lol:

The original article : http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 15845.html
Q: It looks almost certain that it will be you and your team mate Nico Rosberg fighting for the title. One German publication asked last weekend whether Nico is too soft for that fight - because you have more killer instinct. Is that so?
LH: Let me tell you this: I come from a not-great place in Stevenage and lived on a couch in my dad’s apartment - and Nico grew up in Monaco with jets and hotels and boats and all these kind of things - so the hunger is different.
Its a witty response to the question asked imo. Well played sir. =D>
That's why turbo used the word "insinuating". Which is roughly synonimous with "implying".

MercedesAMGSpy

Funny thing is, people always complain about drivers being pr machines and then there is one who says what he thinks, people starting to complain again. I like Lewis Hamilton off and on track, his interviews are the most interesting ones to watch, because he has something to tell.

ringo

He didn't say he is hungrier. He said his hunger is different.
And even so, having humbler backgrounds do make you hungrier for success. There's no questions about it.
The motivation at the beginning of their racing careers were different, and it's still very likely that the same type of motivation that was there at the beginning still exists in both of them.

The results of the races actually do show that Hamilton is more determined to keep Nico behind. He's won 2 races he shouldn't have by right and he's also ahead after not running in the first race.

I don't see anything wrong with what he has said. If you read it in whole there is nothing there about Nico. It's strictly about where he started, and that all drivers are hungry but he wants to be the hungriest. Makes perfect sense to me. Nothing controversial there.
For Sure!!

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

ringo wrote:He didn't say he is hungrier. He said his hunger is different.
And even so, having humbler backgrounds do make you hungrier for success. There's no questions about it.
The motivation at the beginning of their racing careers were different, and it's still very likely that the same type of motivation that was there at the beginning still exists in both of them.

The results of the races actually do show that Hamilton is more determined to keep Nico behind. He's won 2 races he shouldn't have by right and he's also ahead after not running in the first race.

I don't see anything wrong with what he has said. If you read it in whole there is nothing there about Nico. It's strictly about where he started, and that all drivers are hungry but he wants to be the hungriest. Makes perfect sense to me. Nothing controversial there.
thank you, that was well said.

johnsonwax
johnsonwax

Bottom line, it's reasonable to question the merit of a driver who carries a pedigree. Lewis didn't have the benefit of patronage, Nico definitely did. With 7 billion people on the planet, no reasonable person can say that the most qualified driver is routinely the offspring of a former driver, and that's not unique to F1. NASCAR and Indy have their dynasties as well. We know that Lewis earned every bit of his drive. Nico may have as well, but it's unlikely, and we can question it. Sponsoring a driver named Rosberg is good business, even if he's only mediocre. I think Lewis wants to prove that working up from the bottom beats being handed these opportunities from within the sport, because you know Nico was. I don't think it's personal against Nico, I think Lewis simply wants to give a big middle finger to a system that made him and his family have to work harder than Nico to get to the same place, and the best way to do that is to dominate on track. I think it could be Villeneuve or Piquet or any other F1 offspring in that other seat.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

The hunger games...