2014 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
johnsonwax
johnsonwax

Re: 2014 Monaco Grand Prix

I always wondered where they store all the armco and such. Monaco isn't a big place. I always imagine some Raiders of the Lost Ark size warehouse hidden below the city.

Töm87
Töm87

Thanks guys.

Kiril Varbanov

johnsonwax wrote:I always wondered where they store all the armco and such. Monaco isn't a big place. I always imagine some Raiders of the Lost Ark size warehouse hidden below the city.
There is one for sure. The entire city has underground tunnels and parking places, as well as warehouses. Even the train tunnel is drilled down through the mountain.

De Jokke

Guys, quick question.

If merc has a front-low lock-out.
They start, lew 1, ros 2.

Pitstop window is almost there. Normally lewis has first choice.
But suppose Nico makes the call to come in 3 laps earlier than planned. He has the undercut. He'll pass Lewis via the undercut. At the end of his stint, his tyres are more worn out than Lewis, but Lewis can't get past because of the track.

Isn't that a logic strategy for car nr.2 when behind after starting?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

mikeerfol

De Jokke wrote:Guys, quick question.

But suppose Nico makes the call to come in 3 laps earlier than planned. He has the undercut. He'll pass Lewis via the undercut. At the end of his stint, his tyres are more worn out than Lewis, but Lewis can't get past because of the track.

It depends on the pace of the other cars behind Mercedes, if Rosberg tried that and after the pitstop he was i.e. behind the Red Bulls Hamilton would still benefit from clear air.

iotar__

De Jokke wrote:Guys, quick question.

Monaco on a one-stopper is not a good example but: "Nico makes the call" - this is where you went wrong. He won't make any calls, Merc strategy people make them and strategies are connected to make sure there's cushion between drivers and no competition, Rosberg waits like he did in Spain.

Apart from other things stretched second stint meant Rosberg ran out of laps in the third one. The only variable if they were competing, which they are not, should be: "they can't come into the pits at the same time". Spain's 2nd stint: Hamilton wants to stay, in response Rosberg wants to come in on 20th lap of the stint as long as it's available at the time. Hamilton can come in at the same lap or any other lap if he chooses. If 20th is free Rosberg pits. Not at Merc.

SiLo

I'm pretty sure the lead car will pit first, unless the car behind is being held up and constantly makes the call to pit earlier for the undercut.
Felipe Baby!

zioture
zioture

Pirelli preview Monaco grand prix

Monaco GP: Lewis Hamilton in the F1 simulator

FrukostScones

Massa: Monaco will be even tougher with 2014 cars
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114008

and rain appeared on the weatherforecast... Damn, if it rains I expect no Mercedes show and a crash-fest with an RB on top.. #-o .
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

mikeerfol

Does anybody know if the weather forecast from Google is trustful? It says rain for all 3 racing days.

beelsebob
beelsebob

mikeerfol wrote:Does anybody know if the weather forecast from Google is trustful? It says rain for all 3 racing days.

As always, YMMV when it's a whole week away.

SamH123
SamH123

So Grosjean and RB said the engine won't matter as much round Monaco, so they don't expect to be disadvantaged as much by their Renault engine, but Button has said low emphasis on aerodynamics/downforce around Monaco means the engine is very important and they hope having a Mercedes one will push them up the field this week

Who is right? :)

SiLo

I think the Merc engine is much more drivable than the Renault or the Ferrari. I think they Merc could be even further ahead this weekend than Spain if Renault/Ferrari haven't made many gains in drivability.

I could be wrong though, but Merc engined cars seem to be much smoother on power delivery.
Felipe Baby!

johnsonwax
johnsonwax

I think SiLo is right here. It's not aero or power, but the ability to get power down without sticking the tail out. Monaco is the place where understeer and snap oversteer will kill you in a fraction. That could favor RB or Merc. I stand by my statement that Monaco is the one race that Merc could fail to make the front row on because of this. Lewis has been complaining about snap oversteer in his car. If they get the setup even a little bit wrong for quali, they could be beat. To their continued credit, the RB cars again look very stable this year. I still think Merc has the advantage, but setup is always tricky, and that advantage can easily be thrown away.

Glyn
Glyn

johnsonwax wrote:I think SiLo is right here. It's not aero or power, but the ability to get power down without sticking the tail out. Monaco is the place where understeer and snap oversteer will kill you in a fraction. That could favor RB or Merc. I stand by my statement that Monaco is the one race that Merc could fail to make the front row on because of this. Lewis has been complaining about snap oversteer in his car. If they get the setup even a little bit wrong for quali, they could be beat. To their continued credit, the RB cars again look very stable this year. I still think Merc has the advantage, but setup is always tricky, and that advantage can easily be thrown away.
I think you are over-estimating the competitiveness of the other teams.