F1 Performance: is it the car, is it the driver?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pierce89

Re: Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

mnmracer wrote:
xpensive wrote:Put Marcus Ericsson in a Mercedes and I guarantee he will make the podium at his first attempt.
No doubt, but will he win? I guarantee you not (unless Chilton's in the other car, or HamilBerg retires).

And that's why there is still more to it than just the car. That is why one Red Bull and one Ferrari were fighting for the championships in '10 and '12, and the others were not. That is why Chilton is considered a pay-driver and why Bianchi is waiting for a Ferrari seat to open up.

And that is why Formula One will still always be a test of driving skill [-o<
But why do you get upset whenever someone claims Vettel is not the best driver in f1? All other arguments aside, why is it you involved in these arguments every time? I think if specialcircumstances actually knew the history here, he might understand a little better why you draw the responses you do.

Edit: I'm asking these questions to MNM not X.
Last edited by Pierce89 on 29 May 2014, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Cam

bhall wrote:And that's why it's always the car. :wink:
Fangio wrote:“I have very good memories of my years with Alfa,” he said. “In sentimental terms the Alfetta was perhaps my favourite car, because it gave me the chance to be World Champion for the first time.
Even Fangio recognised that the car made a difference - but it was no guarantee of success. No one is saying the car is not a factor, it's just not the factor.

p.s. the fact you used Maldonado's win as an example, in my opinion, proves pure luck also plays a part in success :wink:
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

mnmracer
mnmracer

JimClarkFan wrote:My point and that of others have been, is that yes it was a potentially championship winning car, but only in the hands of certain drivers who were capable of extracting a winning performance ;)

Great drivers shine in crap cars. They exploit a poor car much better than others can and that is when they stand apart.
Your point would receive a lot less opposition if your definition of a good car and a crap car wasn't so obviously based on who's driving it. It is very obvious that "only in the hands of certain drivers who were capable of extracting a winning performance" is not a stance you equally apply to all drivers.

Pierce89

SpecialCircumstances wrote:IMO, if you put all the current drivers in the same car, there would be less than 1 second between 1st and last. Yes, even Chilton. And I'm probably giving too much of a margin there.

Personally, I look at certain things to form an opinion on how good a driver is other than a certain rough level of talent tier you can place them in.
Mistake prone - How many (and what kind of) mistakes they make.
Qualifying efficiency - how often do they deliver max perceived potential, how clutch are they in nailing a lap.
Overtaking efficiency - you need a faster car to overtake. Any professional driver knows how to. The question is can they take advantage of every opportunity? Not crash? How much time will they waste behind the other car? (I am not talking backmarkers obviously)
Tyre/car management.
Adaptability.

I also think you need many years to form a solid opinion on a guy.
Your 1 second is too small a window, maybe their quickest laps would be within a second, but over 25 laps their average laptimes would not be covered by that same 1 second.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

mnmracer wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:My point and that of others have been, is that yes it was a potentially championship winning car, but only in the hands of certain drivers who were capable of extracting a winning performance ;)

Great drivers shine in crap cars. They exploit a poor car much better than others can and that is when they stand apart.
Your point would receive a lot less opposition if your definition of a good car and a crap car wasn't so obviously based on who's driving it. It is very obvious that "only in the hands of certain drivers who were capable of extracting a winning performance" is not a stance you equally apply to all drivers.
Of course it is not equally applicable to all drivers. That is my point entirely. Drivers aren't equal in ability, if you recognise that fact, then what surely follows are that some drivers are better than others. I don't think that is up for debate.

My subjective judgement of which drivers are capable of getting those extra margins from their car is certainly up for debate though, I don't claim to have some divine insight but I do believe we can make at least some kind of judgement on driver ability. I have repeatedly said I believe 3 drivers where/are capable of eeking out those tiny margins consistently, Senna/Schumi/Alonso. All of this is my opinion, it is based on my relative judgement of performance, feel free to discuss as you will.

But hand picked facts with an obvious bias to your favourite driver to support his case as the best is the worse kind of manipulation... lies, damned lies and statistics - I think that is the how it goes. I try to be upfront; ''this is who I think is best, I can't prove it but I have a strong feeling towards it''

Anyway, I'm done, I've said my piece. I have been dosed with a teaspoon of empathy, and I feel bad at the cleanup the MODs might face in the morning. So I'll end it there.

bhall
bhall

Cam wrote:Even Fangio recognised that the car made a difference - but it was no guarantee of success. No one is saying the car is not a factor, it's just not the factor.

p.s. the fact you used Maldonado's win as an example, in my opinion, proves pure luck also plays a part in success :wink:
Maldonado's luck in 2012 manifested itself within an unprecedented period in F1 in which seven different drivers won the first seven races of the season. Look at the names of the winners below.

Does it make sense to say their talents shifted wildly in between rounds of the Championship such that the changes produced seven different winners in the process? Or is it more sensible to conclude that Pirelli's unpredictable tires created a situation whereby the fastest car at any given time was circuit-dependent? (Remember: even a stagnant car can become the fastest car if others regress. Everything is relative.)

Occam's razor is a beautiful thing.

Incidentally, have you ever noticed how the uber-technical members of this forum rarely involve themselves in driver discussions? That's because the relative merits of one driver over another are always derived from subjective opinions that cannot be backed up with empirical evidence one way or the other (unless they're in the same car, and even that can be tricky). There are just too many variables, especially within a developmental series like F1.

On the other hand, it's incredibly simple to judge the merits of a car or a system, or even individual components, because if it works, it works, and empirical data will tend to support that - unless, of course, you work for McLaren and don't understand what "This Way Up" means, or you're an aerodynamicist at Ferrari who can't design so much as a paper airplane without running into "correlation issues."

I kid, I kid.

And as much as folks sometimes say that "Car-X could only perform at a high level with Driver-Y behind the wheel," it's important to remember that mechanical capability is finite and will never exceed itself under any circumstances, and it's also heavily dependent upon the setup of the car. In fact, one could probably make a reasonable argument that two examples of the same car, but with different setups, are actually two different cars, because their capabilities will inevitably differ from one another. For instance, if Hamilton's engineers took 10 psi out of his tires for some reason, Rosberg would eat him alive as if the former World Champion was standing still. Would that then be an accurate reflection of the drivers' capabilities or of the cars' capabilities?

We saw something similar put to the test at the 2010 Italian Grand Prix where Button and Hamilton used different versions of the same car to achieve different qualifying results (Button was nearly 0.6s quicker). What does that mean?

Ready? Sing it with me: it's always the car. :D

EDIT: By the way, I think this thing has been bludgeoned to death many times over at this point. So, if I don't have anything else to say on the matter, it's not because I've ignored anyone. I just don't want to repeat myself...anymore. lol

Cam

Oh, don’t give up now bhall.

Let’s take your hypothetical robot for another spin, this time - golf.
bhall wrote:it's important to remember that mechanical capability is finite and will never exceed itself under any circumstances
We can make that robot use the ‘best’ putter with the ‘best’ ball and always make a 25ft putt on a rolling green - every single time. No denying.

The putter can only hit the ball as hard as it can and the ball can only roll as far as it can - that is it’s 100% performance limit.

Now, let’s bring in 20 top golfers - give them the exact same putter and ball from the exact same starting position. What do think will happen? Remember, this is using the ‘best’ putter and ball money can achieve, all with the same conditions.

Most will miss the shot. Why? How can some miss when they were using the ‘best’ putter and the ‘best’ ball - surely having access to the same ‘best’ equipment would show they would all succeed? The reasons not all will make the shot are many and varied - as is human nature. Some like a heavier putter, some a lighter one, some like those big broom handle ones, some choke under pressure. The golfers who putt better than anyone else with similar gear will likely stumble when using other different equipment. So the equipment is only as good as the people using it.

So how can it be “its the club, stupid”?

You can ignore this debate bhall, if you like, but I think you’re wrong. In a perfect world, you would be right, 100%, but we don’t live in that perfect world. So long as humans control something, that factor will be a large component of it’s performance - no matter how ‘robot’ you make them.

The fact you do not consider a humans performance criteria in motorsport, simply amazes me.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

djos

Vettel vs Ricciardo 2014

Cam I think you may be missing bhall's point, I think he's saying "it's always the car" that set's the limit a driver can perform to.

Which is kind of obvious IMO.
"In downforce we trust"

Cam

djos wrote:Cam I think you may be missing bhall's point, I think he's saying "it's always the car" that set's the limit a driver can perform to.

Which is kind of obvious IMO.
Well I agree. But we have been discussing whether a driver can effect that performance or not, i.e. put another driver in the same car gets sam/not same results.
― Socrates

xpensive
xpensive

After Ronnie's death at Monza in 1978, the at the time unknown Jean Pierre Jarier stepped in to the car in Montreal, took pole and ran away with the race until losing oil pressure. Car or driver gentlemen?

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

djos

xpensive wrote:After Ronnie's death at Monza in 1978, the at the time unknown Jean Pierre Jarier stepped in to the car in Montreal, took pole and ran away with the race until losing oil pressure. Car or driver gentlemen?
Simple, competent driver making the very most of the machinery provided.
"In downforce we trust"

xpensive
xpensive

Which is exactly my point, Marcus Ericsson could do the same in a Mercedes given the opportunity.

djos

xpensive wrote:Which is exactly my point, Marcus Ericsson could do the same in a Mercedes given the opportunity.
Agreed.
"In downforce we trust"

Cam

xpensive wrote:Which is exactly my point, Marcus Ericsson could do the same in a Mercedes given the opportunity.
The original context for this whole discussion, way back when, was Vettel's 4 x WDC in great machinery. We've now come to single performances, which is not what we were discussing. I have never said that those championships were not attributable to a very good car. The point was, and still is, Ericsson in those same cars, for 4 years, is not guaranteed the same results as Vettel achieved. Yes, he would have a similar chance, but it is not guaranteed as the drivers ability over a period of time, plays a factor in the result.

To sum up; a great driver in a bad car cannot win a WDC. Any driver in a great car can (not will) win a WDC.

Can we at least agree on that?
― Socrates

xpensive
xpensive

In modern times, but when I was young and handsome, JYS won the wdc in this shitbox, not even Chris Amon could handle it.