Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

I have a question about engine inlet(s).
Be located within the bodywork volume, and between a point 855mm rearward of the FWCL (level with the front face of the upper cockpit template) and a  point 600mm forward of the RWCL. 
Looking at the regulation boxes there is a section above the cockpit which I assume is to allow an inlet like actual LMP cars?
If that is the case, how does that work with the regulations as it overhangs the front face of the upper cockpit template?

If an inlet is placed there I guess the extra space in the reg box is for an shrouding of the intake but the actual face of the intake must be no further forward than the point mentioned?

cdsavage
cdsavage

RicME85 wrote:I have a question about engine inlet(s).
Be located within the bodywork volume, and between a point 855mm rearward of the FWCL (level with the front face of the upper cockpit template) and a  point 600mm forward of the RWCL. 
Looking at the regulation boxes there is a section above the cockpit which I assume is to allow an inlet like actual LMP cars?
If that is the case, how does that work with the regulations as it overhangs the front face of the upper cockpit template?

If an inlet is placed there I guess the extra space in the reg box is for an shrouding of the intake but the actual face of the intake must be no further forward than the point mentioned?
In a previous version of the rulebook the inlet could be located slightly further forward, which is why the bodywork volume protrudes forward like that. With the current rules there's no reason for that overhang, but in the interest of not adding more changes it's been left as-is.

Schifty
Schifty

Its look the 2015 challenge entry is free, may be i will make a try.

Normally i use 3d Studio, but for this one, wich program should i use to design the car

CAEdevice

You can choose any software that can export a STL

CAEdevice

A feedback about the last release of OCCFD: both "standard" and "light" mode are running perfectly. "Standard" mode generates about 13-14*10^6 cells, and requires about 5 hours to be completed. The maximum required RAM is 10gb (during meshing, about 2-3 hours). The solution with 4 cores requires about 1 hour and 2gb of RAM per each core. The post processing (Paraview 3.98) requires about 3-4gb of RAM. Thank to Julien for all the work!

RicME85

I nearly have a car ready :)
Only thing left to do is the sidepod area.
Problem is it is driving me mad, I just cannot figure out how to make it.

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Thanks for all the feedback.

@Shifty - it is free this year.

@CAEdevice - The only non-scoring round is the one in August, as it is right in the middle of the holiday season. I concur with RickME85 in that the competition is a design competition, rather than a hard-core CFD competition. But there is an obvious advantage in using CFD informed design...

@RickME85 Glad to hear that you are getting along with the modelling and look forward to seeing your design. Thanks for your ongoing support.

CAEdevice

@RicME85: glad to read that

I have a complete car too (I mean rules compliant) but I would expected an higer df/drag ratio. I'll have to work on it.

MadMatt
MadMatt

RicME85 wrote:I nearly have a car ready :)
Yes this was my conclusion at the beginning, packaging the cooling requirement is the main challenge.

I hope I can work on the car soon as I didn't have time the past month, and haven't been able to adapt the car to the latest regs, but we will see.

Regarding the dynamic simulations, I find a bit a shame that the efficiency is not taken in account (especially for the high downforce case). Unless there is something I've missed? Only "aim for highest downforce has been said", nothing about efficiency, and as I haven't participated to KVRC2014 I'm not up to date with all this. :)

cdsavage
cdsavage

MadMatt wrote:
RicME85 wrote:I nearly have a car ready :)
Yes this was my conclusion at the beginning, packaging the cooling requirement is the main challenge.

I hope I can work on the car soon as I didn't have time the past month, and haven't been able to adapt the car to the latest regs, but we will see.

Regarding the dynamic simulations, I find a bit a shame that the efficiency is not taken in account (especially for the high downforce case). Unless there is something I've missed? Only "aim for highest downforce has been said", nothing about efficiency, and as I haven't participated to KVRC2014 I'm not up to date with all this. :)
Efficiency certainly is taken into account for every round. The first 3 rounds are all at tracks which reward high downforce, so for these rounds the main priority is maximum downforce, but for a given downforce level the more efficient car will still produce a faster laptime.

variante

MadMatt wrote:I find a bit a shame that the efficiency is not taken in account (especially for the high downforce case). Unless there is something I've missed? Only "aim for highest downforce has been said", nothing about efficiency, and as I haven't participated to KVRC2014 I'm not up to date with all this. :)
As you know, track charts won't be provided this year. However, considering last year's charts, it is wise not to generate "inefficient downforce" even on high-DF tracks.

I explain: as the total downforce increases, the laptime gains will gradually decrease (in fact, if you achieve infinite downforce you won't achieve a 0s laptime). Last year's charts confirmed the gradual decreases i'm talking about; a projection of that decrease shows that, at the high downforce levels that we'll reach with our new cars, drag has to be taken into account.

In other words: an X DF gain obtained at globally low DF levels will give Y laptime gain. The same X DF gain obtained at globally high DF levels will give you Z (Z<Y) gain. This happens while the drag doesn't change its impact as much as downforce, therefore efficiency becomes more and more important.

For our situation: if you have a car with a Cl.A of around 6, and then you find some X Newtons of downforce that cost you the same X Newtons of drag (efficiency = 1), at Monaco there is the chance that the you won't gain (nor loose) any second, while on the Nurburgring you will actually loose on your laptime despite the DF increase.
On the other hand, if your car has a Cl.A much smaller than 5 or 6 (so let's say 3...), you won't need to worry about efficiency, and you'll be able to focus exclusively on brute downforce production.

So, while at Monaco it is almost impossible to loose laptime performance even when DF production gets very inefficient, on the Nurburgring it becomes possible.

Anyway, these are just estimations/projections/approximations!!

cdsavage
cdsavage

For those who competed last year, please be aware that the parameters used in Virtual Stopwatch will be changing such that the results from last year will not necessarily give an accurate representation for setup this year.

variante

Thus Monaco is not actually Monaco but a variation of the actual track, and so on ?

RicME85

Clearly running a modified Monaco track so to not compare between F1 and LMP regulations.....just like Formula E not running on the GP Monaco circuit ;)