Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

etsmc wrote:would anyone be willing to put my car through the test??
I can try, I have a workstation free next night

etsmc
etsmc

where would it be best to send the file??
just re read the rule book and have not split the car up in to the relevant parts. do you think its worth running the test before i split it up?

CAEdevice

you should have a "body" (it can include the wings, but they will not be refined) and surfaces representing inlets/outlets. Be sure about positioning with reference to the sysco.

JJR
JJR

Hi, I would like to ask about engine performance in term of horsepower? I think it has also effect on our design in terms "how much drag can we sacrifice".
And what abou tires performace - lateral/longitudinal friction cofficient at load let say 5000N and friction drop deppend on vertical load.

Thanks

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:Hi, I would like to ask about engine performance in term of horsepower? I think it has also effect on our design in terms "how much drag can we sacrifice".
And what abou tires performace - lateral/longitudinal friction cofficient at load let say 5000N and friction drop deppend on vertical load.

Thanks
I'd ask the same question.

5000N per single tyre? :o

JJR
JJR

Yes, 1000kg car + 1000kg of downforce at 200kph = 20000N / 4 tyres = 5000N per tyre

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:Yes, 1000kg car + 1000kg of downforce at 200kph = 20000N / 4 tyres = 5000N per tyre
Ok, I was not considering the mass of the car

machin

The tyres have a full map of course, but if you work on an approximate coefficient of friction of 1.35 to 1.4 you won't be far off...

The internal combustion engine is 600bhp and has a 160bhp ERS... It has a nice full power curve which is fairly flat. We wanted a little more power than the real LMP1's to give you a little more scope for downforce generation, oh and we have 8 gears so nobody will be hitting the rev limiter down the straights!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

CAEDevice/JJR, i have a question for you based on your question about power and tyre grip levels... are you guys feeling the need to do performance calculations from first principles to give you some idea what set up to go for for the first race in the absence of aero coefficient vs lap time graphs this year?

CAEdevice

I only estimate max speed to have an idea of the realism of my cfd results.

JJR
JJR

Thank you machin for answer. I try to simulate using LapSim (old demo version from year2007) from Bosch.
It will be fine to have some simulation data.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Well, finally I am back where I left things 2 months ago, hopefully I can update my car to the latest regulations and perform some simulations, not so much time left now, we will see!

variante

Any particular request about the sponsors to add on the liveries of our cars? Competition Car Engineering, KVRC logo and..? Hibou?

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

After quite a lot of internal discussion with Chris and Richard I took the decision that Richard will release the lap charts as last year. In a nutshell, the decision of not releasing the charts was motivated by trying to get participants to focus on aerodynamic creativity rather than optimisation. But this seemed to be backfiring as it looks like people are trying to test their car on alternative laptime calculators...

The hibou logo is no longer applicable - as Hibou died last year.... Virtual Stopwatch and KVRC would be great.

Also: if you are planning on doing some rendering get in touch with Chris and myself as we could benefit from your input to limit our work...

machin

JJR wrote:Thank you machin for answer. I try to simulate using.....
No need to do that... I have created a version of Virtual Stopwatch for you guys to have a play with aero coefficients to see their impact on lap time... the track available is a short track with similar characteristics to the High Downforce Monaco and Nurburgring tracks that the KVRC will visit, and the car itself is identical... think of this as your own personal pre-season test track....

This is in place of the charts that we had in previous years... later I will add a Medium downforce test track for the races taking place in the second half of the season....

KVRC Test Track

If you have any questions, let me know....