Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Now we're talking! Awesome, machin!

However it seems like downforce values of these cars are going to be well above full scale. So it would be perfect if you could increase the maximum Cl.A to at least 10. Otherwise, if you tell us that the performance/downforce ratio is pretty much linear, we can simply scale down our values...

machin

variante wrote:Now we're talking! Awesome, machin!

However it seems like downforce values of these cars are going to be well above full scale. So it would be perfect if you could increase the maximum Cl.A to at least 10. Otherwise, if you tell us that the performance/downforce ratio is pretty much linear, we can simply scale down our values...
10?! Really... OK... I'll expand the options out! (Tomorrow - now it is time for bed!).

How about Cd.A...?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

machin wrote:10?!
Other people may confirm/deny...? I'm using custom CFD settings, BTW.
machin wrote:How about Cd.A...?
Seems enough for me.

JJR
JJR

Tkanks machine. I agree with variante to extend ClA values. CdA values are OK but maybe with smaller steps from 0.25 to 0.1-0.05

cdsavage
cdsavage

variante wrote:
machin wrote:10?!
Other people may confirm/deny...? I'm using custom CFD settings, BTW.
I agree, Cl.A of 10 should be easily achievable for the high downforce rounds. I think a small increase in the Cd.A range would also be good.

CAEdevice

To reach a Cl.A value of 10 I should use two cars :)

PS: Thank you machin for the test track

machin

cdsavage wrote:I agree, Cl.A of 10 should be easily achievable for the high downforce rounds.
I can't wait to see these cars then! The Jag XJR in high downforce trim supposedly had about 5000lbs of downforce at 200mph which is a Cl.A of around 4.5... (in Le Mans trim they were down to a Cl.A of about 2.5)...

Data from Mulsanne's corner:-

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/aerodata ... xjr-9.html

cdsavage
cdsavage

machin wrote:
cdsavage wrote:I agree, Cl.A of 10 should be easily achievable for the high downforce rounds.
I can't wait to see these cars then! The Jag XJR in high downforce trim supposedly had about 5000lbs of downforce at 200mph which is a Cl.A of around 4.5... (in Le Mans trim they were down to a Cl.A of about 2.5)...

A more relevant comparison for high-downforce designs might be some of the IMSA-specific cars like the Allard J2X, which could supposedly develop 10,000lbs at 200mph.

CAEdevice

cdsavage wrote:
machin wrote:

A more relevant comparison for high-downforce designs might be some of the IMSA-specific cars like the Allard J2X, which could supposedly develop 10,000lbs at 200mph.
Interesting! The Allard is what I expect too see in the KVRC

machin

Cool.. the Allard is an awesome car. Must admit; I haven't read the specifics of the KVRC geometry rules, and was assuming we'd be nearer current LMP1 aero levels - this is much better!

The KVRC Test Track Virtual Stopwatch will be updated later tonight when I'm back home.

machin

Cl.A and Cd.A coefficient ranges increased as requested...

The link is the same one as before:-

KVRC Test Track

Happy Testing!

CAEdevice

machin wrote:Cl.A and Cd.A coefficient ranges increased as requested...

KVRC Test Track

Happy Testing!
Thank you Machin. Only one thing: COP is a costant value (1650mm). My car as a COP aound 1800mm, how can I take it into account simulating the best lap?

A question about the first race: how will be considered not legal details? Time penalty? Exclusion?

cdsavage
cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:
machin wrote:Cl.A and Cd.A coefficient ranges increased as requested...

KVRC Test Track

Happy Testing!
Thank you Machin. Only one thing: COP is a costant value (1650mm). My car as a COP aound 1800mm, how can I take it into account simulating the best lap?

A question about the first race: how will be considered not legal details? Time penalty? Exclusion?
The penalty process will be pretty similar to last year. If the first submission is legal then the CFD simulation will go ahead. If there are only very minor issues which would not likely affect performance, then a warning may be given, meaning that these issues must be fixed for the next round, but the original submission is used for this round.

If there are more significant problems then an email will be sent stating that another submission must be made correcting these issues. If no second submission is made within the time limit then there will be a penalty. We haven't decided on the penalty and the time limit for the second submission, but they should be similar to last year.

variante

Some teasers...
It will be fully revealed in a couple of weeks, just before the first race.

machin

Awesome. I like the "kill markings" on the rear deck: -I might be inclined to add "1st" in front of each one! Can't wait to see the full car!