Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MadMatt
MadMatt

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

I have FINALLY been able to work on the legal model that I did 2 weekends ago, put it in OCCFD and try it with the lap time simulator!

What I can say is that I definitely tried to balance my car. My CoP was too much forward, and as machin said, by reducing the rear end downforce (I tried to increase it but I believe I reached a sort of maximum with the design I have), I was able to lower my lap time. I am quite happy with the car now, I have few more ideas to try before the start of the competition if I can, otherwise the car will be revealed this Friday, so stay tuned!

I don't know if I (we) should be afraid of those who haven't spoken/shown anything yet, or by my 2 other fellow competitors in this thread, but in any case, I am looking forward to see some numbers! :)

In the meantime, here are some of mine (I guess you won't know if they are my latest ones or not :P but at least I got them at some point):

- CD*A: 1.82
- CL*A: 5.70

:)

CAEdevice

Interesting numbers! I'm keeping my as top secret for the moment, but I'm planning to release the car in a day or two...

RicME85

Not sure if my car will be ready for the first race.
Im away this weekend and at the moment have no desire to work on the model.

machin

MadMatt wrote: In the meantime, here are some of mine (I guess you won't know if they are my latest ones or not :P but at least I got them at some point):

I can only imagine if you're posting them here then you must have better numbers in reality?! We'll have to wait and see!

I can't wait to see the cars... I wonder how many teams will turn up for the first race?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:I wonder how many teams will turn up for the first race?
Hope more than three :)

MadMatt
MadMatt

machin wrote:
MadMatt wrote: In the meantime, here are some of mine (I guess you won't know if they are my latest ones or not :P but at least I got them at some point):

I can only imagine if you're posting them here then you must have better numbers in reality?! We'll have to wait and see!

I can't wait to see the cars... I wonder how many teams will turn up for the first race?
The only thing for sure if I have obtained these numbers. For sure I may have higher number(s), but the question then is by how much, which means these might also be my latest values (more or less). Means nothing, but gives the other maybe some idea of where they are!

I also hope we are more than 3, I would think so judging by the few comments posted here, we will see!

CAEdevice

Hi everybody, it's time to reveal my MP003A!

More pictures here: http://www.caedevice.net/KVRC and as soon as possible in the CAEdevice thread on F1techical.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Wow, very nice Matteo, I like it! =D>

Very aggressive car, almost like a car you see in Japanese manga! I will post comments in your thread when you update it with your latest creation! I hope (or not) it is as fast as it looks mean! :)

RicME85

Interesting design.
Has given me ideas on how I could finish my car. There were a few details I was stuck on and had an idea on how to run the car and your car has confirmed its a viable approach

MadMatt
MadMatt

Almost forgot to ask. With OCCFD the "real" suspension arms will be used I believe. I tried for the first time the other day to use these instead of the large suspension arm volumes that the body cannot intersect, and the smaller suspension parts don't fit inside the bigger volumes is that normal?

cdsavage
cdsavage

MadMatt wrote:Almost forgot to ask. With OCCFD the "real" suspension arms will be used I believe. I tried for the first time the other day to use these instead of the large suspension arm volumes that the body cannot intersect, and the smaller suspension parts don't fit inside the bigger volumes is that normal?

http://s17.postimg.org/mrkj98w66/suspension.jpg
You might be using an outdated version of either the rulebook or the CFD parts. The latest versions are on the KVRC site.

RicME85

I have finished my car :D
Just needs to be checked for legality.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:I have finished my car :D
Just needs to be checked for legality.
Great news!

RicME85

when exporting to stl, what unit do you use?

MadMatt
MadMatt

Meters.

Thanks chris btw, I wasn't using the latest model. Weird that you changed the suspension, that had never been mentioned, kind of annoying, I will have to use this weekend to make my car legal again, oh well, my loss is the others' gain! :)