Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.

cdsavage
cdsavage

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

MadMatt wrote:Thanks chris btw, I wasn't using the latest model. Weird that you changed the suspension, that had never been mentioned, kind of annoying, I will have to use this weekend to make my car legal again, oh well, my loss is the others' gain! :)
If I remember correctly the change to the front suspension was quite a long time ago, so make sure you don't miss any of the other changes that have been made since then. The release date of the rulebook you're using should be written at the very beginning of the PDF (current version is March 2nd).
RicME85 wrote:when exporting to stl, what unit do you use?
1 unit = 1m. You can check this by opening the STL inside paraview (click apply to show the model), and then in the information panel, look at 'bounds'. It should show -1 to +1 in X if you're using the full width, and something like -1 to +4 in Y, depending on the front and rear overhang of your design.

cdsavage
cdsavage

The submission deadline for round 1 is in a week's time. Just a quick reminder on the submission process - you are free to submit as many entries as you like at the submission portal on this page: http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... lenge-2015. We won't do anything with these entries until the deadline arrives, at which point we will take the most recent submission and perform a rule check. If legal (or if there were some 'warnings' but no major problems), we go ahead with the CFD simulation. If there were legality problems, then you receive an email stating what these issues were. You may then make another submission before a second deadline with these issues fixed, but keep in mind that this second submission may have no changes from the first other than the areas which were originally found to be illegal. Penalties will only be applied if the second submission is still illegal, or if no second submission was made when the first was found to be illegal.

I can't make any guarantees as the rule check can be pretty time consuming, but since this is the first round, I'll try to do a quick rule check on some of the early submissions and let you know through email if there are problems. For future rounds, we probably won't be checking the early submissions, we will wait until the deadline arrives (same as 2014).

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Hi Gents,

Sorry for being silent recently.

On the good news, we/I have been in touch with CAEdevice after he offered to help the challenge. After a lot of talking, we agreed on sponsoring whereby he would be providing the winner prize. After a bit of talking we narrowed it down to a license for rFactor 2 (actually we narrowed it down to two choices, but after being in contact with both I am finalising it with rFactor 2). It should make things a little more exciting. On the same news I will be looking at exporting some of the designs as rFactor 2 models that can be imported and raced in rFactor 2 [an attempt for race 2] and potentially looking at giving some of the top models for someone to test drive. It should be an interesting exercise.

On the less good news, I am not sure about a little aspect in OCCFD: I have the feeling (following an email from Andre) that there is an issue with the reference point used for calculating the CoP. The reference point should be based on where the front axle are located. Could you check the OCCFD reports to make sure that this is the case in your simulations? Please report if you notice some discrepancy while I am checking on my side as well.

CAEdevice

Hi Julien, I confirm tha in my case, when the anaysis is completed, the CoP reference is the right one.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Tomorrow is launch day for DynaRace team!

This won't be the last version as this weekend I have to find time to correct a collision problem that I found with the front suspension, as I was using an old template. This is basically the same car since Christmas, only made up-to-date with the latest regs, but unfortunately not much development with OCCFD.

CAEdevice

What has happened to the nose? There is a hole! :)

MadMatt
MadMatt

CAEdevice wrote:What has happened to the nose? There is a hole! :)
Its my secret weapon that should allow me to fly over the competition! :D :lol:

CAEdevice

mmmm... secret weapon... (cit. Homer Simpson).

I have one too, but it will be ready only for the 2nd race (or 3rd). After submitting the car (tomorrow) I want to convert it into Creo, to have better modeling tools.

CAEdevice

A last minute check: can the (lower) side impact structure template intersect with the inner template of the cooling inlet/outlet?

machin

MadMatt wrote:Tomorrow is launch day for DynaRace team!

http://s2.postimg.org/iwjwf11ex/pic2b.jpg

This won't be the last version as this weekend I have to find time to correct a collision problem that I found with the front suspension, as I was using an old template. This is basically the same car since Christmas, only made up-to-date with the latest regs, but unfortunately not much development with OCCFD.

Looks good... I can only imagine something a bit like the HPD coupe (with the floor removed between the wheels and a multi-element wing out front!)

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

cdsavage
cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:A last minute check: can the (lower) side impact structure template intersect with the inner template of the cooling inlet/outlet?
They can't intersect. Rule K4.1 and K4.2 state inner templates "must not intersect any other parts or templates".

crxdave
crxdave

A small teaser of what I've been hurriedly working on over the last week. I don't have much experience in the way of aerodynamics, but thought it would be a good way to practise my surfacing skills & hopefully learn a bit more about aerodynamics & cfd.

Hoping to test a baseline spec this weekend & then start adding downforce where necessary. :)

CAEdevice

crxdave wrote:https://flic.kr/p/rwNZuL

A small teaser of what I've been hurriedly working on over the last week. I don't have much experience in the way of aerodynamics, but thought it would be a good way to practise my surfacing skills & hopefully learn a bit more about aerodynamics & cfd.

Hoping to test a baseline spec this weekend & then start adding downforce where necessary. :)
Welcome crxdave!

I like your car, especially the front diffuser.
Can I ask you wich CAD package are you using?

crxdave
crxdave

Thanks Matteo, I'm using catia V5.