2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Phil

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

Hmm, i just dont see Hamilton fitting in at Ferrari. Not sure if he would do them any good marketing wise either. Then i would think RedBull might be a higher probabilty, but they seem to be doing just fine with Vettel and Ricciardo. My guess is that Alonso will either end up at McLaren. Not sure there's any other place for him - though as others have and myself have said, i dont think the PU is McLarens issue. Even with the current best PU, they are still trailing and have car related issues. It may be that a driver like Alonso could drive them beyond those problems though and if the Honda PU is any good, they might be competitive. Ferrari might be the better bet, but i feel Alonso has had enough...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FW17

Would love a major shuffle

Hamilton to Ferrari

Vettel to Mercedes

Alonso to Mclaren

:D Never going to happen

SectorOne

Now there´s even rumors about Alonso going to Lotus!! :lol:

I´m gonna make a super wild guess and predict that they will all stay put.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

xpensive
xpensive

Alonso to McLaren is a done deal, all at Honda's demand. Button will stay as Japan loves him.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

smr
smr

source? :P

MOWOG

This morning, grandprix.com says Flavio has struck a deal for Fred to go to Renault and for Canadian billionaire Stroll to pay for Mercedes engines for the Enstone team.

The whole thing sounds ludicrous to me. Guess that's why they call it the "silly season." But there are too many rumors floating around for there not to be SOMETHING in the wind with regard to where Alonso will be next year. :?:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

xpensive
xpensive

Perhaps Flavio will join Ferrari in an attempt to keep Alonso, but I doubt it, Honda has all the money it takes to get him.

The last few races has shown just how good he is.

turbof1

Even autosport.com is commenting on it now. Can't copy the article right now, but interestingly their sources are saying Alonso doesn't have any escape clausules to end the contract before expire date.

Could become another Kimi case, with Alonso forced to take a sabatical. That or perhaps Honda buying Alonso's contract for give or take 100 million.

Or he stays. The weirdest thing is the way the tensions look to be constructed: Ferrari is annoyed both with their own performances and with the fact Alonso went out to go window shopping at Mclaren. Basicilly Ferrari might let him go based on this 'disloyalty'. It is starting to smell like self-forfilling prophecies.
#AeroFrodo

xpensive
xpensive

Again, besides Daimler, Honda is the only serious player in F1 now.

A canadian fashion billionare, get outa here.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Is Alonso seriously considering Mclaren? I thought this was just hot air, the romantic in me wants him to go to British team, reconcile with Ron and win the championship.

However my head says this is a dumb move, motivated by perhaps money.

I think his best bet is to stay at Ferrari personally if he can't get to Mercedes

Phil

I don't think Alonso is worried or motivated by money at all. He's got it all - he's a world champion, double in fact, he's at Ferrari, a huge salary - well, pretty much all, except the 3rd WDC title that is. This is his 5th season at Ferrari and I think at this point, he's probably fed up with realizing that in the last 5 years, he came close 2 times (2010 and 2012) and apart from those two years, not even close and certainly not because of his own driving. One might be able to deal with the fact that the first 4 years he was at Ferrari, it was in an era where Redbull and Newey dominated. But to now realize that it's Mercedes who's dominating and will likely next year as well... what a blow.

My take is that next year, Mercedes will be the team to beat and I think RedBull will be close. They're already arguably the 2nd best team, despite Williams looking really strong on some tracks. McLaren and Ferrari are just about tied and that is with McLaren with a Mercedes PU in the back. If I was Alonso, I'd be either looking at Mercedes or Redbull. If both are unavailable - and if I was really fed up with Ferrari and needed change, I guess McLaren might seem an attractive option (though I'd be quite surprised if they end up being highly competitive next year).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Harsha
Harsha

prince
prince

Phil wrote: My take is that next year, Mercedes will be the team to beat and I think RedBull will be close. They're already arguably the 2nd best team, despite Williams looking really strong on some tracks. McLaren and Ferrari are just about tied and that is with McLaren with a Mercedes PU in the back. If I was Alonso, I'd be either looking at Mercedes or Redbull. If both are unavailable - and if I was really fed up with Ferrari and needed change, I guess McLaren might seem an attractive option (though I'd be quite surprised if they end up being highly competitive next year).
With Newey stepping away and Peter Prodromou having left, what hope would you have on Red Bull? We have seen at Ferrari, how things change when successful combinations comes to an end. McLaren would have been a better bet if they would have continued with Merc PU, but they are going to be in an unknown territory with a new PU. With a newer structure and renewed vigour, Ferrari would be a safe bet for atleast one more year.

Gaz.
Gaz.

prince wrote:
Phil wrote: My take is that next year, Mercedes will be the team to beat and I think RedBull will be close. They're already arguably the 2nd best team, despite Williams looking really strong on some tracks. McLaren and Ferrari are just about tied and that is with McLaren with a Mercedes PU in the back. If I was Alonso, I'd be either looking at Mercedes or Redbull. If both are unavailable - and if I was really fed up with Ferrari and needed change, I guess McLaren might seem an attractive option (though I'd be quite surprised if they end up being highly competitive next year).
With Newey stepping away and Peter Prodromou having left, what hope would you have on Red Bull? We have seen at Ferrari, how things change when successful combinations comes to an end. McLaren would have been a better bet if they would have continued with Merc PU, but they are going to be in an unknown territory with a new PU. With a newer structure and renewed vigour, Ferrari would be a safe bet for atleast one more year.
Exactly, there is no rush. Mclaren are struggling to beat Force India this year and firmly in the mid field. I can't see much movement in the driver market next year.
Forza Jules

Racer X

The Honda issue is such an interesting thing to contemplate I mean. They could be like this year's Renault and have a lot of issues and provide McLaren with a crap power unit.. Or really shine. Then the situation with the drivers is quite unique.... But believe they should carry over both because of the engine change..

Plus Magg with a proper season let's see what he can do. This rookie season isn't fair to judge because McLaren has given him a --- car.. I say keep both drivers...

The situation with the top teams is interesting..

Lotus if they return to being competitive up front.. I'll be happy then I guess Grosjean can return to fighting up top. Maldonado I don't like but what ever.. Pay Driver..

Hulk and Perez Force India should keep both.. Plain and simple..

Ferrari same..

RedBull same..

Merc.... same..

Williams.. Same..

I honestly don't think it's a year for change in the top 6teams ((currently top) & Lotus)

But Sauber need to decide on Gutierrez or Sutil both are kinda mediocre.... I say give a young rookie a chance but since they need funding to stay alive keep Gutierrez and take in a rookie... Then we can see two young guys fight it out Sutil is so average..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ