2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

Ron Dennis is toxic imo, eddy jordan was grilling one of the Mclaren boys this weekend and he put it to him that the reason why several people left Mclaren (Newey, Alonso, Hamilton) was because the place was very difficult to work in because of the Ron Dennis effect.

There was reportedly a spat between Newey and Dennis as early as 2001, when at the time Newey wanted to leave Mclaren for Jaguar after only 2 years.

I don't think anyone wants to work with the man any more. He puts people off, there is no chance imo that Alonso will go to Mclaren if Dennis is around. It was Whitmarsh who was courting Alonso, I think that deal is dead in the water with Dennis in charge once again.

zeph
zeph

Cam wrote: Personally, Ferrari's shakeup should go deep and far. Two new drivers. One young brash cocky SOB who's got nothing to loose and everything to prove, side by side with a solid performer who understands setup, won't waste time screaming into the radio and isn't hungup on a WDC.
I agree about the shakeup, but not about who needs to leave. IMO, the problem starts at the top and it is called LdM. Once very effective, he has long since let his hubris get the better of himself and the team's woeful state is a direct result.

I get the impression he is very much a part (or indeed, the root) of the problem. Time for him to go to the next level (Fiat) and relinquish control over Ferrari, I say.

Racer X

WaikeCU wrote:
Mercedes: Hamilton-Rosberg
Williams: Bottas-Massa
Red Bull: Ricciardo-Vettel
Force India: Perez-Magnussen
Ferrari: Hulkenberg-Bianchi
Mclaren: Alonso-Button
Lotus: Grosjean-Nasr
STR: Kvyat-Sainz
Marussia: Chilton-Vandoorne
Sauber: Van der Garde-Sirotkin
Caterham: Frijns-Verstappen
I really could see either Perez or Hulk both staying in Force India or a top team picking either off them up. Perez has strong race pace and Hulk is consistent both great drivers.

so i could see Hulk going to either Ferrari or McLaren or RedBull or any team better then Force India.
same goes for Perez.

BUT i dont think McLaren will take Button over Maggnusen i think he stays at McLaren and they take in a new driver along with Magg. but not loose Magg because they already took a risk on Perez and it didnt work (bad car) and took a chance on Mag this season and so far (bad car) but. I think it would be a waste to let Maggnusen go. I dont see them letten him go with out giving him one more chance on a better car.

So i agree with you about Sergio and Hulk but not about Button. Button leaves McLaren. Tooooo many years there now and he hasnt been world champion again.. So i say he goes..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Cam

JimClarkFan wrote:Ron Dennis is toxic imo, eddy jordan was grilling one of the Mclaren boys this weekend and he put it to him that the reason why several people left Mclaren (Newey, Alonso, Hamilton) was because the place was very difficult to work in because of the Ron Dennis effect.

There was reportedly a spat between Newey and Dennis as early as 2001, when at the time Newey wanted to leave Mclaren for Jaguar after only 2 years.

I don't think anyone wants to work with the man any more. He puts people off, there is no chance imo that Alonso will go to Mclaren if Dennis is around. It was Whitmarsh who was courting Alonso, I think that deal is dead in the water with Dennis in charge once again.
Yep, there's only one man Dennis really admires and believes in.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

mikeerfol

Hulkenberg isn't going to McLaren, it's already been said that there was an offer to them from Hulkenberg's manager but they rejected it.

FW17

Romain Grosjean could be left out in the cold as Lotus looks to change gear for 2015.

It is now an open secret that the Enstone based team intends to switch from Renault to Mercedes customer power at the end of the season.

“I can’t confirm it yet,” Mercedes’ Toto Wolff smiled to British television Sky on Saturday.

Less clear is the reason for the move. Certainly, Lotus – fourth overall in both 2012 and 2013 – has struggled notably for reliability with Renault’s underpowered turbo V6.

But the team’s links to the French marque are historically solid, as Lotus was once called Renault — the works squad.

Since then, the Enstone team has retained the solid backing of Total, the French multinational that is now working hand-in-hand with Renault to improve the fuel that powers Red Bull’s world championship hopes.

Also strongly linked to Total is Frenchman Grosjean.

But the 28-year-old’s career was also tied closely to another Frenchman, Eric Boullier, who doubled as his manager.

Today, Boullier is the team boss at a rival team, McLaren.

So the final straw for Grosjean could be Lotus’ Renault split. The arrival of Mercedes power would no doubt mean the end of the team’s association with key Grosjean backer Total.

“Things are open,” Grosjean agreed at Silverstone, “but it’s not because Eric is there (McLaren) that things are that simple.”

What is clear is that if the Lotus-Mercedes deal is formalised as expected in the next few days, Renault is unlikely to find a replacement customer.

“There will be less revenue, this is true,” Renault’s Remi Taffin admitted, “but not at the level that would put us in difficulty.

“Indeed, perhaps concentrating on fewer teams will help Red Bull to achieve their goals,” he is quoted by Italy’s Autosprint.

Therein lies the probable truth, as it seems that the recently highly-critical premier team Red Bull has applied pressure on Renault to narrow its focus.

Dr Helmut Marko revealed to F1′s official website that Renault will only supply “one version” of its 2015 specification power unit to users Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Caterham.

“Not like this season,” he said, “where Lotus had a different version to us, which tied up too many resources at Renault and distracted from the development.”

According to paddock rumours, another change at Lotus could be the loss of multinational backer Unilever – and the sponsors Clear and Rexona – to McLaren.

It could help the Woking based team to woo the increasingly frustrated Fernando Alonso from Ferrari.

The Spaniard is famed for his ‘never give up’ attitude, but after qualifying at the back of the grid at Silverstone, Alonso admitted the time has now come.

“Yes. Anyone apart from Rosberg and Hamilton saying they can be world champion this year is lying,” he is quoted by Speed Week. “And I don’t like to lie.”

And he is also quoted by Spain’s AS: “I’m not saying that we can’t do anything this season, but to be eighth, ninth, twelfth or nineteenth is not going to change our lives.”

Cam

Lotus/Merc deal is not done yet. May not happen either. That'll be a fun meeting next with Renault.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Racer X

mikeerfol wrote:Hulkenberg isn't going to McLaren, it's already been said that there was an offer to them from Hulkenberg's manager but they rejected it.

Well that changes my entire perception of the possible 2015 season moves....

That said regards to McLaren i really do see Magg staying and Button Leaving.

mikeerfol

Racer X wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Hulkenberg isn't going to McLaren, it's already been said that there was an offer to them from Hulkenberg's manager but they rejected it.

Well that changes my entire perception of the possible 2015 season moves....

That said regards to McLaren i really do see Magg staying and Button Leaving.
I'll go with the opposite.

Racer X

Agree to disagree I dont see Button out lasting more then 3 Drivers. Hes going to start to think McLaren is his team. Might i remind you Dennis cant have that...

This whole Lotus thing is interesting.

So from all the current rumors we basically see possible moves at

McLaren
Ferrari and
Lotus....

Grosjean leaving maybe and Alonso as well perhaps to to McLaren.

Lotus if they can get the Mercedez power for next season will go back to being able to fight at the top off the field...... That is if Ferrari and Renault dont catch up or even surpass Merc. With what Lotus is capable of i can see them building a better car then Williams and Force India next season that would (considering only Merc Engine Customers) Make them the second strongest team. In theory judging from their recent history.

If Grosjean leaves maybe now they get Hulk?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

People suggesting I'm mad for putting GRO at McLaren, but my theory is this; He is managed by Boullier, and has done good as a #2 to RAI and would be a good base line for ALO at McLaren, however stronger than he was when ALO/GRO paired for 7 races at the end of 2009. Also GRO isn't the first lap nutcase he was, he is a far better driver now. I think he is what Mclaren need with Alonso, a strong competent driver who can run in the upper end of the grid to take points off off of Rivals of Alonso and also contribute significantly toward the constructors title.

Looking at it now, Ferrari will be looking at a 27 - HUL/17 - BIA pairing as RAI looks to be starting to take a hissy fit and may be paid like 2010 to sit at home for €20m a season. ALO is earning €24m, which would be nicely split between HUL/BIA.

Lotus will have Nasr and his €20m+ from Brazil, and a driver who can bring serious money as well as MAL is gone from what i am hearing from South America as PDVSA will be done with Motorsport at the end of this year. Maybes a driver like Van Der Garde who can bring money will be involved?

I will also be called nuts for saying Simona De Silvestro will take GUT seat at Sauber, she has one more test in the C31 in the summer break at Barcelona i think, that will lead to a drive at the end of the year at Abu Dhabi for one or two days of that test. Im thinking Sutil may just be safe for one more season.

I think there will be a general pardagram shift in the grid for 2015 again, lets see what happens as i think the fun is just about to start in the next few weeks.

smr
smr

To say Jenson Button would leave Mclaren and K-Mag would stay is the most laughable thing I've read all year.

Why would Mclaren ditch a world champion, 15 times grand prix winner and most experienced driver on the grid for a rookie who is being pummelled hand over fist by Jenson, has next to no experience whatsoever in setting an F1 car up, hasn't won a grand prix before and hasn't got the maturity needed to either.

K-Mag showed where he is at in his mind and physical abilities during the Silverstone race, he was sitting behind Alonso and Vettel as they each slowed the other down and he STILL wasn't able to get right onto the back of them and attempt an overtake himself.

Button on the other hand extracted _everything_ from MP4-29 at Silverstone (and has done many occassions this season)... finishing 4th in a dry race there is virtually the same as winning the bloomin race considering the differential in car performance!

FW17

^
Why pay button a tonne of money when all he is good at is bashing rookies a few times a year?

CBeck113
CBeck113

I'm with WilliamsF1 on this one - Button hasn't shown his value, except for Silverstone, and a rookie can be mentored and formed...and remains cheap until the first title has been won.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

SectorOne

Magnussen needs to beat Button in points first and foremost. Why on earth would you get rid of the guy that bags more points then the other?
That´s handicapping yourself for no reason. Instead you wait until Mag beats Button regularly, then you get rid of Button because at that point he´s overpaid, dead weight.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"