K314- a cardboard F1 car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
kosioBG

K314- a cardboard F1 car

Hi again! :D
Traditionally, after completing Alonso's car, I build a car designed by me to develop new techniques for next year. This year is no exception, so I present to your attention my new project, the K314 "π".

The cockpit

As always, the first building block is the monocoque. I'll skip its construction and pay some more attention to what's different and improved.
So here's a quick look:

Obviously, the most notable difference is the cockpit that ends at the front bulkhead, which means the nosecone will be removable :wink: It's the first time I'm building detachable parts. Another addition is the stepped chassis, which I missed when building the F14T. + I'm now using a round splitter, which has two advantages: it's made of one piece and is sleeker+ it leaves loads of free space at the front end of the cockpit.

Other improvements include the new seat, which I now crafted with a careful look at dimensions+ the seatbelts are now made of felt.

The cockpit rear end has an undercut now, making it more realistic. The head protection and airbox area remains practically untouched.

And lastly, two neat new features:
the steering wheel will also be removable, you can see the hub where it will later be installed. Also, as I'm not restricted by a real car to stick to, I replaced the mirror pilons with vertical ones, which makes them a lot stiffer.

That's it for now guys, please feel free to suggest improvements or other thoughts.

Cheers! :D

kosioBG

Re: K314- a cardboard F1 car

Here is my next, rather short, report.

The floor

The floor was manufactured virtually the same way as my F14T, the only difference being a slightly changed carboard layout (the floor consist of 3 pieces). Another addition is the barge boards area, where I unleashed my design skills.

The diffuser is sleeker, with only 2 strakes per side as opposed to 4 on the F14T. This ensured a better quality finish.

And the current state of the car:

That's it for now!
cheers! :D

next update might be late... :roll:

Daliracing

nice i see lots of improvements in your skills! keep up the work :D

kosioBG

thanks! :D

Daliracing

kosioBG wrote:thanks! :D
np :D i'm also following u on behance :D u made great stuff :D

Alonso Fan

awesome stuff!

i hope the removable parts go well, and i hope you dont mess up like i did with my f138

keep up the good work, looking forward to more in the future :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Hirgaki
Hirgaki

Amazing work.. Came a long way since you started! Where did you get the dimensions for the car? I'm also thinking of building one for my desk :)

EDIT: Had to create an account just for this thread! Been a lurker for a long time haha

kosioBG

thanks for your positive replies! Hirgaki, i'm glad to have inspired you! And about the dimensions: I look some of them up in articles I find, for everything else I use reference photos, so they aren't absolutely exact

Hirgaki
Hirgaki

kosioBG wrote:thanks for your positive replies! Hirgaki, i'm glad to have inspired you! And about the dimensions: I look some of them up in articles I find, for everything else I use reference photos, so they aren't absolutely exact
They sure do look pretty exact!

kosioBG

Steering wheel

As I already said, this time the steering wheel will be removable. The difference in construction is minimal though- I've replaced the cardboard axle witha toothpic one, because it's straighter and fits better in the designated mounting hole. Apart from that the wheel remains basically the same, it consists of two cardboard layers and some colourful pieces of paper to cheer things up a bit. I especially enjoy the 'N' on the screen :D
here it is:

And mounted to the car:

The nice thing is, it can be rotated to any position. Demounting is reasonably easy, shouldn't damage the component. :wtf:

That's it for now, next update will be late though, won't be at home for some time :|
Chers :D

kosioBG

Hi again, after a long pause, here comes the next report.

Gearbox and engine cover

The gearbox and exhaust remain very similair to F14T's. I used the same drawing for the gearbox, with only one change: the layout of the suspension holes is different, making it easier to attach the wishbones properly later. Here it is:

The bodywork (sidepods and engine cover) is traditionally the most difficult part for me to build. I wanted to make it removable, but had to give up. That was because I couldn't get the cardboard to remain bent without glue. On the upside, the engine cover consist of 2 rather than 3 parts, as a result looking better. Being free to choose the design, I ditched Ferrari's stickering and designed my own.

And the current state of the car:

That's it for now. Next step: suspension. It's also going to be similair to my last car. After it though, the fun bit will start.

Cheers! :D

George-Jung
George-Jung

Looking good!
Rear crash structure looks a bit too big..

Keep it up! =D>

kosioBG

thanks!

yes, the rear crash structure did end up a bit too wide, but I'll get over it :)

Alonso Fan

Hey, nice to see it coming on so well
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

kosioBG

Hi guys,

here's a small work in progress pic with drawings, wishbones and tools.

Cheers :D