Super Aguri enter stage left!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Principessa

http://www.f1technical.net/news/1866
http://www.f1technical.net/news/1856

I don't like it...That is one big, fat F1 car...and white again :roll: Very creative :roll:

Scuderia_Russ

vyselegend wrote:What does the current rules says about pace? I mean, if SA laps over 9sec off the front runners pace, they'll be a danger for the field. But where exactly is the limit, between beeing considered on or off the pace?
I think Forti were seven seconds off the pace?

manchild
manchild

So are those CF or Titanium wishbones? They look very thin compared to typical CF wishbones but color and thexture looks like CF :?

Last edited by manchild on 22 Feb 2006, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

Becker4
Becker4

im not worried aobut them getting in the way of other racers - chances are sato crashes or the car breaks down before they can get in the way. Especially since they will most likely start at the very back of the gird for all the first races - theres a good probablility both cars are retired before they get lapped!! haha well i hope there not THAT bad, as the people there do seem to care about being in F1. Hopefully they are competitive soon and dont destroy too many people on the way. As an aside, how do you feel about davidsons decision to stay with honda, now that the car is on track? is it better to race for them, or test again for honda?

Tom

Davidson might be as well going back to F3, or A1GP or something smaller to prove his talents before rejoining the big boys, with a little more cred.

Forti were good, only because they were yellow.

And who knows, Super Aguri good take pole, FL and a 1-2 at Bahrain, or not.

'Anything can happen in F1, and it usually does.'
Mr Walker
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

greenpower dude reloaded

I have to say i am incredibly impressed with Aguri as I know how to get even the lowest formula cars ready in time with a far more adequate time period can be a challenge but to get a car that runs (at all) ready in such a short space is outstanding and even though its an old car that isn't yet updated to the '06 regs i am still very impressed and so they have my support.

Just think how long they've had (with the vast majority of the time spent on the SA06 im sure) to produce a car that is roughly 13secs off of the pace is impressive to say the least and it is clear that a lot of enthusiasm and passion for the project PLUS i heard a rumour that some of the old Jaguar TWR boys were helping with the design of the SA06 and they have been planning an attack on F1 for some years now so there ideas must be pretty well developed and thought out but like i said its only a rumour i dunno how much truth behind this there is and as per usual i haven't written far too much so i'll let you all just digest that lol!

rsfocus
rsfocus

i'm all for it, it must be costing honda a fortune though, the plain white would be mainly because they wouldnt be wasting time on liveries etc when all their time needs to be spent getting it going. plus with no sponsors on board how else are you going to quickly do a paint job. plain white is fine. maybe the new car should be different, but give the boys a break, it is a huge effort. as long sa they get through the first few fly away races and then debut the new car in Europe all will be fine...still good to see another team. 22 car grid. cant wait!

Saabjock
Saabjock

Jesus! guys, give them a break and stop complaining about how bad the 'thing' will be, without a showing. I don't want to see 'privateers' totally go away from F1....do you? The reports said they had a hydraulic problem with the car. They're not the only ones having problems...."cut them some slack". I remember everybody saying Red Bull was going to produce crap....and for a relatively new team, it has'nt been all bad. I remember Pedro giving the 'big' boys a run for their money with that chassis a few years back. It won't be the fastest thing on the grid, but let's not write them off yet.
Last edited by Saabjock on 22 Feb 2006, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleT

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I do agree that the people working on the SA project have worked very hard and pulled off a miracle just to get a car running at such short notice. And yes, in a few months they will get much more competitive.
My "beef" is on their timing. Obviously this team is fully supported by Honda, and the suits in the FIA. They bent some rules to allow the submission of paperwork and fees. They "convinced" the other teams to allow SA into the '06 season.
And the result is a car and team that is terribly unprepared at this time. Their time frame was so short SA had to cobble up a car with whatever chassis they could get their hands on. There is just no way SA can arrive at the first race of the season with a team or car with any form of respectable preparation.
This is F1, supposed to be the apex of motor racing. It is supposed to be the best drivers and teams fighting it out on the world stage. All around the world there are thousands of teams of motocrossers, Formula Atlantic, Moto GP, to name just a few. Amateurs and professional alike know that to be serious in racing, you have to show up at the starting line fully prepared. When I was a mechanic for a local motocrosser, one golden rule I killed myself over was that the machinery was to be 100% prepared the night before we loaded up and travelled to the track. Anything less smacks of bumbling amateurs who were in the game, but didn't know what they were doing. In a way, I'm almost offended that SA will spend the first few races with a work in progress. I applaud the many hard working people who must have spent countless sleepless nights just getting a car to this stage. But I just think that this project was rushed too much, that it does not display Formula One in the proper light as being the best of the best.
I do wish SA all the best, and I hope they have succes in the future. I just don't like how this project was rushed along just to suit Honda's need to have Sato in a Formula One car bearing the Honda logo.

West
West

I know what you mean Dave.

Even though I was more of a technical editor for our car's Mini Baja documents, I stayed up with the mechanics to help on whatever was needed (paint or assembly). We'd stay up till 4 am each day of the competition, then wake up at 7am, then leave at 8am to the race site. A 40 minute drive (i used my own car), then we'd be at the competition site till maybe 5 pm. Then we go back to our hotel and work till 4 and the cycle repeats, for three days. It sucked but our work paid off: we were the best UC (university of California) last year, and our goal of top 50 percent was achieved.

You could tell who was a wanker: there were teams who only got one point out of 1,000, just for showing up. And a lot of them broke down on the first lap of the 100 mile race.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

mcdenife
mcdenife

In a way, I'm almost offended that SA will spend the first few races with a work in progress. I applaud the many hard working people who must have spent countless sleepless nights just getting a car to this stage. But I just think that this project was rushed too much, that it does not display Formula One in the proper light as being the best of the best.
I do wish SA all the best, and I hope they have succes in the future. I just don't like how this project was rushed along just to suit Honda's need to have Sato in a Formula One car bearing the Honda logo.
All FI cars are works in progress and honda's need is honda's business. It seems people are getting so hung up about why SA is in F1 and not that they are in it. We all know why red bull is in F1 and most, if not all, teams have a reason for being there. They (Red Bull) had the luxury of having a ready made car and have been building up the team ever since. At least give SA a chance. It seems the problem people have is with Sato rather than SA itself. Incidentally, how come str can use an old Red Bull car but SA cannot use an old honda (BAR) car?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

johny

in testing they can use whatever they want. In barheim Str will use his own chassis(almost identical to rbr1 but not the same one) that's why they can use it

mcdenife
mcdenife

In Bahrain, STR will be using an modified RB1. So why is SA not allowed to use a modifed BAR007?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

dumrick
dumrick

mcdenife wrote:At least give SA a chance. It seems the problem people have is with Sato rather than SA itself.
That's also kind of nostalgic. It drives me back to the 90's and to such poetic F1 efforts like Forti Corse, Life, Andrea Moda and MasterCard Lola... :roll:

Spencifer_Murphy

LOL Super Aguari cant be as useless as Andrea Moda...can they?!

Anyway, they will learn a lot this year, the SA06 due to be raced laster this season should be a big improvement, (im guessing it will be "only" 4-5 seconds off the pace). And their 2007 car should be at least capable of competeing with Midland & Possibly STR on a regular basis. There's a lot of passion in that team, and possibilities for new and exciting young talent - not just drivers, but engineers etc as well - to work their way into F1 via Super Aguri. I wish them the best of luck. And this season - they're gonna need some luck too.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.