Pirelli 18 inch tyres - visualization

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Sebp

Re: Pirelli 18 inch tyres - visualization

As okay as they look, the rims are just another answer to a question no one asked. :|
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Here's the question - why? Why make the change? All fundamental changes like this are extremely expensive for all involved, so what's the justification?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Holm86

I would much rather see wider rims and tires, than larger rim diameters.

SiLo

Holm86 wrote:I would much rather see wider rims and tires, than larger rim diameters.
I have to agree with this. This isn't a case of applying F1 technology to the road, these tyres are not designed to be anything like that, so just give them fat rear tyres and drop the wing levels.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

It will be interesting to see how the brake shrouds would change with larger brakes.

Brakes such as those used in WEC might work pretty well. Those brakes are good enough to stop cars twice the size of F1 cars and last 24hrs doing it too...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

I liked the rims. :) I have to accept that I was skeptical but that car looks better with the those rims. And it looks like teams may develop around that area if it is allowed to do so.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Would like to see what 15" look like.

George-Jung
George-Jung

If I am correct they are also looking at 18" rims due to the fact that Michelin would only comeback to F1 if they changed the 13" rims... Also look at LMP1

ringo

WilliamsF1 wrote:
ringo wrote:Could expect a lot of savings in the brake R&D department. The brakes can be a bigger diameter with less complicated thermal management. Brake temperatures will be less of an issue as well.
Brake thermal management is always going to be an issue, big or small. The bigger one could be more of a problem as it could cool down too much and glazing the surface.
It wouldn't have to be as hot in the first place. So i wouldn't expect that to be as big a problem as with these tiny 11 inch ones or whatever they are.
For Sure!!

jz11
jz11

ringo wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:
ringo wrote:Could expect a lot of savings in the brake R&D department. The brakes can be a bigger diameter with less complicated thermal management. Brake temperatures will be less of an issue as well.
Brake thermal management is always going to be an issue, big or small. The bigger one could be more of a problem as it could cool down too much and glazing the surface.
It wouldn't have to be as hot in the first place. So i wouldn't expect that to be as big a problem as with these tiny 11 inch ones or whatever they are.
or they can "keep" the old temperature range and make the brake caliper much much smaller thanks to greater distance of the pad contact patch from the wheel rotation axis (larger diameter brake disc)

most likely it would depend on if they need that head to radiate to the rim and help with the tire temperature management

edit: anyway, would be interesting to see what teams would come up with, except, most likely, it would again be "locked" down by myriad of complexly worded, non explanatory regulations, which can be used by CW to direct the development any way he may like it to go, to keep the show going

bhall II
bhall II

Has it been stated that the regulation concerning maximum brake disc diameter will change if there's a move to 18-inch wheels? Thus far, it's been discussed like an increase in brake diameter is a given with larger wheels, but I've seen not seen it addressed directly from a regulatory standpoint.

11.3.2 All discs must have a maximum thickness of 28mm and a maximum outside diameter of 278mm.

CBeck113
CBeck113

George-Jung wrote:If I am correct they are also looking at 18" rims due to the fact that Michelin would only comeback to F1 if they changed the 13" rims... Also look at LMP1
I'm afraid that's what a lot of fans will do, and , unless the FIA takes steps to Speed up our beloved F1 cars, they'll see that they are slower than other series, such as LMP. ....And the LMP cars look more spectacular too...I hope this is a small piece of a large package...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

neilbah
neilbah

am i the only one that isn't keen on the 18s? i just think that the 13s with big profile tyres have been the staple of F1 for so long its a quintessential part of how they look for me. Maybe with time i can get used to it like other changes we've see but currently these bigger wheels seem ott to me like some MAX POWER magazine hot hatch a few years back complete with tiny brakes. The rear wheel doesnt look so bad with its deep rim but the front looks awful

gary123

neilbah wrote:am i the only one that isn't keen on the 18s? i just think that the 13s with big profile tyres have been the staple of F1 for so long its a quintessential part of how they look for me. Maybe with time i can get used to it like other changes we've see but currently these bigger wheels seem ott to me like some MAX POWER magazine hot hatch a few years back complete with tiny brakes. The rear wheel doesnt look so bad with its deep rim but the front looks awful
No you are not the only :)

Pierce89

gary123 wrote:
neilbah wrote:am i the only one that isn't keen on the 18s? i just think that the 13s with big profile tyres have been the staple of F1 for so long its a quintessential part of how they look for me. Maybe with time i can get used to it like other changes we've see but currently these bigger wheels seem ott to me like some MAX POWER magazine hot hatch a few years back complete with tiny brakes. The rear wheel doesnt look so bad with its deep rim but the front looks awful
No you are not the only :)
I guess that makes two of you.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher