FRIC Could Be Banned As Soon As Germany

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FoxHound

Re: FRIC Could Be Banned As Soon As Germany

FrukostScones wrote:
FoxHound wrote:And so, F1 kills itself a little bit more.
FRIC was sooo relevant... may it Rest In Peace.
And are at least the aeroformula dislikers happy that it is (most probably) history..?
I don't see anything wrong by the FIA, Jo Bauer (studied engineer) will investigate if necessary...
So your protestations are due to relevance?
Your protest just became irrelevant.
JET set

Shrieker

:-P
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

dans79

SectorOne wrote:Imagine the irony if Mercedes is the team least affected by the removal.
Lol, that would be an awesome one finger salute to the rest of the field.
197 104 103 7

CBeck113
CBeck113

This won't change the pecking order....but I hope tha tthe cars are a little bit "sloppier" than before, so it looks like all the drivers have to work a little bit, not just Fred & Kimi...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

heidenreich27
heidenreich27

Looks lioe more difficult to drive, great

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

iotar__ wrote:http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 66446.html
Amus (can be wrong): 5 teams against FRIC: Caterham , Marussia, Red Bull, Toro Rosso, McLaren. No Ferrari but Red Bull. So maybe their system wasn't that good after all. Funny to see that after all campaigning against "random/lottery" tyres in recent years and relative struggles, maybe it wasn't that random, huh?
It is not as simple as that. Sure, some team who believe that their FRIC does not give them as great an advantage as some others, and therefore wants to remove it. But another reason could just be to hope and mix things up and get lucky. Red Bull isn't strong enough this year to beat Mercedes with FRIC. They know that based on experience. But maybe they will be without FRIC. That's an unknown, but a possibility, and thus worth a shot.

basti313
basti313

FoxHound wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
FoxHound wrote:And so, F1 kills itself a little bit more.
FRIC was sooo relevant... may it Rest In Peace.
And are at least the aeroformula dislikers happy that it is (most probably) history..?
I don't see anything wrong by the FIA, Jo Bauer (studied engineer) will investigate if necessary...
So your protestations are due to relevance?
Your protest just became irrelevant.
Absolutely not. Of course protest must not be on everything, of course you have to look at the relevance for the racing/the viewer. There is no need to protest against changes which do not affect anyone.

Examples:
- Engine change and fuel restriction: Massive engine and fuel saving, many cars taken out of the competition due to mechanical errors, too quiet, extremely expensive. So only disadvantages for the viewer and the competition.
- Nose rules: Ugly dick noses, expensive testing to get the dick crash save. Also only disadvantages for the viewer and the competition.
- +10 grid penalty for unsave release: The driver is taken out of his "normal" competition in the next race without doing anything wrong. Also only disadvantages for the viewer and the competition.

Here it is something completely different: We can not see FRIC, it is expensive, it is not changing the pecking order, the only thing it may do is enhancing the differences in the pecking order and thus compromise the competition AND it makes driving easier, so spoils racing.
-> Only benefits: Cheaper, more racing, no compromises for the viewer.
-> Nothing to protest.
Don`t russel the hamster!

FoxHound

basti313 wrote:Absolutely not. Of course protest must not be on everything
Not absolutely then, is it?
basti313 wrote:of course you have to look at the relevance for the racing/the viewer.
That relevance is as wide ranging as the holes in your post. What is relevant to me, the viewer, is not relevant to you, the viewer.
And relevance to racing? FRICS is relevant to racing as racing teams pursued it's development.
basti313 wrote:There is no need to protest against changes which do not affect anyone.
Explain FRICS, EBD, DDD, F-Duct.

It should also be noted that the latter 3 got to see out the end of the season. FRICS is dead, in the middle of a season.
basti313 wrote:Here it is something completely different: We can not see FRIC, it is expensive, it is not changing the pecking order, the only thing it may do is enhancing the differences in the pecking order and thus compromise the competition AND it makes driving easier, so spoils racing.
-> Only benefits: Cheaper, more racing, no compromises for the viewer.
-> Nothing to protest.
We can't see it, let's ban it!
That's the weakest argument I've actually ever come across on F1technical. And there have been some corkers.

It's too expensive, let's ban it!
Marussia have one, and they have an £51 million budget. So that is complete nonsense.

It doesn't affect the pecking order, let's ban it!
Actually it does affect some teams more than others, of which we will see more of over the race weekend.

FRICS makes driving easier, let's ban it! Yup, another peach. Why not ban sequential semi auto gearboxes?
Why not ban high DF levels?

It won't be any cheaper either as teams have budgets and develop within them. Ban FRIC's and the funds get spent elsewhere.
Simply, racing will be affected because some team will lose in relation to others. Therefore the viewer is in fact compromised due to the sport's governing body trampling on innovation mid-season.

There is no room to protest, the FIA have said it contravenes 3.15. If someone protests against it's use, the FIA can act to disqualify on that basis.
JET set

iotar__

Look who seems to be closer to Merc, maybe too early to say, let's wait for the race but just in case : a miracle ladies and gentlemen, a miracle!

Meanwhile another proof you lose a bit of a soul and mind when you start to work for Ferrari, Allison (autosport.com):
"They reached their view about it, I think with the intention of making it illegal for next year - or make everyone realise it should not be on the cars for next year," said Allison. "They chose their timing in a way to be kind to us so everyone would know, everyone would have clarity when designing next year's car about what the layout should be. "All of us who have known now for a little while that we really shouldn't consider FRIC as part of the 2015 layout - and the fact that they have gone down that path to be kind to us and give us advance notice for 2015 led to the situation we have this weekend."

Forgive my language but why is he babbling about 2015 and kindness? What exactly is the correlation between banning it for 2015 and letting them know in advance and banning it out of the blue mid-season, how did one lead to another? There is the other scenario when Fric is kept for 2014 as it was perfectly legal, it's banned for 2015 AND (imagine that) they learn it kindly in advance.

Moxie
Moxie

[quote="iotar__"]Look who seems to be closer to Merc, maybe too early to say, let's wait for the race

Meanwhile another proof you lose a bit of a soul and mind when you start to work for Ferrari, Allison (autosport.com):
"They reached their view about it, I think with the intention of making it illegal for next year - or make everyone realise it should not be on the cars for next year," said Allison. "They chose their timing in a way to be kind to us so everyone would know, everyone would have clarity when designing next year's car about what the layout should be. "All of us who have known now for a little while that we really shouldn't consider FRIC as part of the 2015 layout - and the fact that they have gone down that path to be kind to us and give us advance notice for 2015 led to the situation we have this weekend."

Ahh such self centered kindness, because what is good for Ferrari MUST be good for everyone. (Except a rules veto and $60M of Bernie's money of course). I do think this statement is very telling though. Ferrari has completely given up on 2014 and would desperately like to see FRIC banned for 2015. Of course I am reading between the lines, but I can smell a heaping pile of BS a mile away. This is not exactly proof, but this statement convinces me that Ferrari had an important part to play in the FRIC or FRAC scandal of 2014.

CBeck113
CBeck113

With us he could also mean all the teams, not just Ferrari...maybe ease off the hate there and think rationally before jumping to conclusions...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

raymondu999

I think those with aero designed around fric will probably suffer quite a bit - given that fric would allow them to design parts that are far too pitch sensitive to work otherwise. I wonder if the return of a more "normal" brake response would allow Kimi and Vettel to regain some of their lost corner entry mojo
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Moxie
Moxie

CBeck113 wrote:With us he could also mean all the teams, not just Ferrari...maybe ease off the hate there and think rationally before jumping to conclusions...
That is how I read it. He is saying that the timing of the FIA announcement was kind "to us" as if he was speaking for all of the teams. But I am certain that all teams don't view a mid season ban as an act of kindness.

"All of us who have known now for a little that we really shouldn't consider FRIC as part of the 2015 layout". Even though FRIC has been legal for several years. Even though the rules allowed for FRIC despite a major change in the formula for 2014. And that the rules remain the same in the 2015 rules. "Everyone" needed "clarity when designing next years car."

And of course this mid-season reinterpretation of the rules was an act of kindness... because the FIA couldn't give such clarity regarding the 2015 season without disrupting the 2014 season???

Hate??? Not at all. I analyze politics like some people analyze baseball statics. Parsing words and drawing conclusions is the name of the game. Ferrari has a historic and prominent role in the politics of F1. Currently they hold a preferred status as the only team with the ability to veto any rule change, and the payments they receive simply to compete in F1. Was the wording of my previous post a little snarky...aggressive perhaps? Yes it was. There must have been a great deal of arrogance behind the quoted statement from Ferrari, and I am calling BS.

bhall II
bhall II

iotar__ wrote:Ferrari is obvious direction even without technical details and only with rumours.
Moxie wrote:This is not exactly proof, but this statement convinces me that Ferrari had an important part to play in the FRIC or FRAC scandal of 2014.
Given today's performance, one in which Mercedes-powered cars like the Williams and McLaren enjoyed a previously unseen advantage through aero-sensitive parts of the track (sector-3), here's another unfounded rumor that I've arbitrarily chosen to believe just for the hell of it. After all, gossip is fact, right?

Mercedes themselves pushed for a clarification of FRIC, because they know the works team's position atop the standings is virtually unassailable, and they wanted to see their customer teams elevated such that Daimler AG could potentially lay claim to supplying F1's top three teams at the end of the season. Sound good?

False causes are fun! :wink:

Moxie
Moxie

bhall II wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Ferrari is obvious direction even without technical details and only with rumours.
Moxie wrote:This is not exactly proof, but this statement convinces me that Ferrari had an important part to play in the FRIC or FRAC scandal of 2014.
Given today's performance, one in which Mercedes-powered cars like the Williams and McLaren enjoyed a previously unseen advantage through aero-sensitive parts of the track (sector-3), here's another unfounded rumor that I've arbitrarily chosen to believe just for the hell of it. After all, gossip is fact, right?

Mercedes themselves pushed for a clarification of FRIC, because they know the works team's position atop the standings is virtually unassailable, and they wanted to see their customer teams elevated such that Daimler AG could potentially lay claim to supplying F1's top three teams at the end of the season. Sound good?

False causes are fun! :wink:
Not a cause. Just an opinion. I have mine. You have yours.