So wait... No one complaining about Russia holding a GP?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Kingshark
Kingshark

Re: So wait... No one complaining about Russia holding a GP?

Because Iran and Maylasia behave in real similar ways, huh? Iran's actions over the years have absolutely caused everything that's happened to them over the years.
I could not care the least what the Iranian government has done in the past 30 years.

NOTHING justifies shooting down and murdering 290 civilians.

Politics can be debated all day and night long, but if human rights is such an issue - only Belgium, Canada, Monaco, and Singapore should be allowed to host a race I guess.

Cam

Looks like canada comes off the list too.
Canada does have to deal with some issues of human rights abuses that have attracted condemnation from international bodies, such as the United Nations. For example, some provinces still allow the use of religiously segregated schools. The treatment of Canada's First Nations people or Aboriginal Canadians and the disabled also continues to attract criticism.
That, and listening to "eh" every four words, is its own special torture :lol:

No country is perfect and I'm sure the public don't hear half of what really occurs. So where would any line be drawn? How far back in history do we look?

One could also argue that being in these countries actually helps to highlight the issues they have. The public awareness benefit outweighs any political quasi commercial conflict. The roaches tend to scurry when the lights come on.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

mcdenife
mcdenife

Kingshark wrote:
Politics can be debated all day and night long, but if human rights is such an issue - only Belgium, Canada, Monaco, and Singapore should be allowed to host a race I guess.
Why is Belgium in that list?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Robbysac
Robbysac

I don't think anyone here is qualified to know what happened to that plane. Don't base it on the media circus or US govt either. Remember they were itching to blast Syria when it was the rebels they were supporting, remember they invaded Iraq and whoops, no WMDs. Race on

xpensive
xpensive

Again, Putin's xpansionistic aggression against Russia's neighbors should be quite enough to have the Sochi race cancelled.
Last edited by xpensive on 23 Jul 2014, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

basti313
basti313

Robbysac wrote:I don't think anyone here is qualified to know what happened to that plane. Don't base it on the media circus or US govt either. Remember they were itching to blast Syria when it was the rebels they were supporting, remember they invaded Iraq and whoops, no WMDs. Race on
This thinking that the USA may have shot down the plane because they lied to us about WMDs in Irak sums up about everything on this conflict:
- Ukrainian students destabilize the government with the Maidan protests...it is the fault of the USA.
- Putin invades the Krim and says "we did not do anything"...it is the fault of the USA.
- The Swiss start with punishments on Russian politicians by freezing their foreign (black money) bank accounts...the US politics are criticized for escalation with punishments.
- Russian army all over East-Ukraine until the separatists have the power. They were not even hiding it, just removed the flags. Licence plates, etc...all stayed Russian...Putin says "we did not do anything" and gets away with it.
- Separatists shoot down a plane and do not even hide or disguise it, they just say nothing anymore and remove the posts in the web...people believe it may have been the US...

This is soooo crazy.... :roll:

Edit, missed an interesting point:
- NATO voted against the apply of membership of the Ukraine in 2008, no further attempts/talks/treaties since then...2014 Putin says NATO is responsible for the conflict due to their attempts to include the Ukraine to the NATO and people believe him. :lol:
Don`t russel the hamster!

iotar__

About Ukraine: just look at the map, no one cares about this country from either "side". It's another modern-modified Vietnam/Korea but interestingly close to the borders. I forgot: what about Silverstone maybe F1 should show some compassion and skip GB GP to protest raping and pillaging of Iraq called rebuilding contracts - exclusive rebuilding contracts of course. Modern day slavery of Abu-Dhabi or Bahrain is not cool either. Life is not a movie, biggest casualties of wars are not sensitive American marines and if you want to skip Sochi in the name of righteousness you have to skip some more races.

It's all irrelevant before GP most of the people will lose interest anyway and blokes owning F1 are more likely to start the war than to protest one (maybe depending on interests).

SpecialCircumstances
SpecialCircumstances

basti313 wrote:
Robbysac wrote:I don't think anyone here is qualified to know what happened to that plane. Don't base it on the media circus or US govt either. Remember they were itching to blast Syria when it was the rebels they were supporting, remember they invaded Iraq and whoops, no WMDs. Race on
This thinking that the USA may have shot down the plane because they lied to us about WMDs in Irak sums up about everything on this conflict:
- Ukrainian students destabilize the government with the Maidan protests...it is the fault of the USA.
- Putin invades the Krim and says "we did not do anything"...it is the fault of the USA.
- The Swiss start with punishments on Russian politicians by freezing their foreign (black money) bank accounts...the US politics are criticized for escalation with punishments.
- Russian army all over East-Ukraine until the separatists have the power. They were not even hiding it, just removed the flags. Licence plates, etc...all stayed Russian...Putin says "we did not do anything" and gets away with it.
- Separatists shoot down a plane and do not even hide or disguise it, they just say nothing anymore and remove the posts in the web...people believe it may have been the US...

This is soooo crazy.... :roll:

Edit, missed an interesting point:
- NATO voted against the apply of membership of the Ukraine in 2008, no further attempts/talks/treaties since then...2014 Putin says NATO is responsible for the conflict due to their attempts to include the Ukraine to the NATO and people believe him. :lol:
Astoundingly poor understanding of the geopolitical situation. Just a couple of quick points:

-The US, have not only been caught but ADMITTED to inerference in Ukraine and stirring up the protests and "revolution".
-It is amazing how many people continue to think the uprising in Ukraine was some kind of liberal revolt against the evil undemocratic Putin.

How Putin rules Russia is almost irrelevant to the conflict in the Ukraine. There are two "conflicts" involved there, a regional one and a "meta" cold-war type game between the higher powers, each supporting a side and none, of course, actually caring at all about Ukraine. Politically, both sides in Ukraine have been ruled by uber corrupt oligarchs. Trying to break this down to good and bad guys when there are no "good guys" involved is foolish at best.

Then again, this is nothing new. This is the same type of narrative used by the western power in yugoslavia as well.

PS: Hell, in the Georgia incident, Georgia was the one that ATTACKED, as recognised by even the UN, and there are still lots of people who think that was about Russian "expansionim" as well.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

iotar__ wrote:I forgot: what about Silverstone maybe F1 should show some compassion and skip GB GP to protest raping and pillaging of Iraq called rebuilding contracts - exclusive rebuilding contracts of course
There was me thinking that the US were the ones who set up the rebuilding contracts for US companies after the Iraq conflict...and US companies did a great job of corrupting the rebuilding process too.
e.g.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Bloom_(businessman) also companies such as Bechtel and Halliburton who were given single-bidder contracts. Halliburton and Dick Cheney are closely linked as I'm sure you know.

The UK has plenty of dark days in its own long history, no need to go dumping US dirt on it too thanks.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Richard
Richard

This thread isn't going anywhere useful.