Adrian Newey on quitting F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: Adrian Newey on quitting F1

Anyone read the entire issue? I'm really curious as to what he considers his top 6 cars.

Ali F1
Ali F1

Lycoming wrote:Wonder what he'll move onto. Something interesting, no doubt. I hope he doesn't go into aerospace or defence and work on some project that takes 20 years of development before it sees the light of day, but I'd heard that he doesn't like that sort of thing anyways.
He's staying with Red Bull, and I think he could be part of some extra engineering business that they might create - similar to Williams' Advanced Engineering thing...

SectorOne

Juzh wrote:Anyone read the entire issue? I'm really curious as to what he considers his top 6 cars.
I´d like to know that too. From what i can see the actual magazine shown just has snippets of information from each subject.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

henra
henra

I have to admit, I'm really sad about his leaving.
For me F1 is about bleeding edge Technology. Squeezing out the max in a somewhat restricted Environment by virtue of clever design.
His aero ideas and the admirable detail work created real works of art.
In winter I was always keenly awaiting his new creations. Will miss that.
Admittedly, I'm an aero geek. I love creative designs.
Pure Engine Formula?
I'm not interested. GP1....
Tabloid Level Driver battle hype?
I don't care.
With that stance I'm probably the odd ball here, well, so be it...

May have to switch to watch sailing.... :o

Juzh

SectorOne wrote:
Juzh wrote:Anyone read the entire issue? I'm really curious as to what he considers his top 6 cars.
I´d like to know that too. From what i can see the actual magazine shown just has snippets of information from each subject.
Yes, its more than 110 pages in it's entirety.

dobbster71

Ali F1 wrote:
Lycoming wrote:Wonder what he'll move onto. Something interesting, no doubt. I hope he doesn't go into aerospace or defence and work on some project that takes 20 years of development before it sees the light of day, but I'd heard that he doesn't like that sort of thing anyways.
He's staying with Red Bull, and I think he could be part of some extra engineering business that they might create - similar to Williams' Advanced Engineering thing...
It's pretty much in the open that he wants to be involved with Sir Ben Ainslie's Americas Cup challenger. Designing the boat would keep him busy & it's just the kind of high profile event that Red Bull likes to be associated with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sailing/27776371
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

donskar
donskar

Glad to see him gone.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

MOWOG

I think only realized just how much the current cars are aero-dependent a few weeks ago when it was said in another thread that when the driver lifts at maximum speed, the aero alone accounts for fully 1 G of deceleration. That's insane. These aren't cars, they are land bound aircraft.

As much as I think Newey is one of the greatest race car designers ever, I cannot get comfortable with his obsession with aero. Personally, I think there should be even less emphasis on aero and more on allowing power train development.

As an aside, I do not comprehend the constant bleating about keeping costs down when the top teams refuse to share the financial fruits of the F1 game equitably. What possible interest can Ferrari have in reining in costs when it gets $100,000,000 off the top while Caterham and/or Marussia get none? That simply makes no sense to me.

And for those who missed it, the odds are strong right now that Newey will be involved with Red Bull's America's Cup team.
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

f1h16
f1h16

To be honest with all the tightening of the rules the field feels more or less the same as usual. There is one car out front and several chasers who are close. The bigger teams like Red Bull and Ferrari have clawed back any inadequacies in the power trains through aero performance over the smaller teams like Force India, Toro Rosso and Sauber.

f1h16
f1h16

MOWOG wrote:I think only realized just how much the current cars are aero-dependent a few weeks ago when it was said in another thread that when the driver lifts at maximum speed, the aero alone accounts for fully 1 G of deceleration. That's insane. These aren't cars, they are land bound aircraft.

As much as I think Newey is one of the greatest race car designers ever, I cannot get comfortable with his obsession with aero. Personally, I think there should be even less emphasis on aero and more on allowing power train development.

As an aside, I do not comprehend the constant bleating about keeping costs down when the top teams refuse to share the financial fruits of the F1 game equitably. What possible interest can Ferrari have in reining in costs when it gets $100,000,000 off the top while Caterham and/or Marussia get none? That simply makes no sense to me.

And for those who missed it, the odds are strong right now that Newey will be involved with Red Bull's America's Cup team.
Id like to see a more equal focus on all areas of the cars. Now its a reasonable split between engine and aero.

I don't agree when they start introducing 'spec wings' and all that for the cars. But the 2014 cars have enough aero differentiation for them to be interesting and yet close enough to provide meaningful racing

CHT
CHT

MOWOG wrote:I think only realized just how much the current cars are aero-dependent a few weeks ago when it was said in another thread that when the driver lifts at maximum speed, the aero alone accounts for fully 1 G of deceleration. That's insane. These aren't cars, they are land bound aircraft.

The problem with f1 in the past is due to the lack of scope for engine development, hence team end up putting too much focus on aero. Aero will and should always remain a critical part of F1 as power is useless without traction and down force, and its striking the balance between aero and engine development that we need to make F1 more exciting and less predictable.

If F1 become over reliant on engine, it will eventually become a race between engine manufacturers rather than the F1 teams due to the lack of scope for significant performance gain. And this will lead to slower team with less superior engine with little hope.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

MOWOG wrote: As much as I think Newey is one of the greatest race car designers ever, I cannot get comfortable with his obsession with aero. Personally, I think there should be even less emphasis on aero and more on allowing power train development.
At the start of this season, a large number of people on this forum were complaining that F1 was too slow - nearly as slow as GP2. That's because the fastest way around a race track is to use downforce and recent rule changes had reduced downforce. If F1 dumps even more aero and goes down the engine route suggested by some, it will become slower than GP2.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

xpensive
xpensive

Not that I believe that the GP2 cars have much more downforce, but F1 needs true racing engines and decent tires.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Shrieker wrote:"You have 70 liters of fuel to work with. Bring in any engine you want."

I see nothing wrong with that. We'd not have had to suffer the sorry sound either. Even my dad (who doesn't give a s***) complained about the sound this last race... So yes, nothing wrong with F1 becoming too engine oriented - if there ever is such a thing.

First, it would be very costly, and secondly, probably create a very wide spread in performance. I also don't see how you can assume that the engines would be louder. If anything, they'd be quieter since they have less fuel to work with; that means higher reliance on the electronics for power, and reclaiming would-be wasted energy (i.e. sound) from the exhaust.

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Not that I believe that the GP2 cars have much more downforce, but F1 needs true racing engines and decent tires.
What makes you think current engines are not "true racing"? Only sound alone? IMO they are "truer" than V8s except for the sound. Drivers have to control their right foot again, we had Kimi spinning on exit for f***s sake!