2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SunsAnvil
SunsAnvil

Re: 2014 Singapore GP - Marina Bay, September 19-21

Of course it's madness. Bernie is claiming it was his idea!

kptaylor
kptaylor

SectorOne wrote:
A wet race, under lights around the Marina Bay circuit is a worse-case scenario for organisers.
It raises safety issues around a circuit which already generates safety cars during racing, and would have an impact on television coverage - a point almost certainly not lost on the commercial rights holder.
To circumvent that problem the Singapore government has a rather unique solution - it seeds clouds in an effort to have the rain fall before it ever reaches Singapore.
It's a common practice in some parts, with planes flown into cloud systems (or rockets launched into them) before unloading salt (or silver iodine) into the atmosphere, helping provide crystals around which the moisture can condense and therefore triggering precipitation.
Cloud seeding was first discovered in the 1940s and has been used around the world since.
Last year the Singapore government confirmed it was working with the Indonesian government to seed clouds off the coast, to have the rain fall on a forest in Indonesia which was ablaze at the time.
Therefore, despite what you may read or hear this weekend, we are all but assured of a dry Grand Prix.

http://www.pitpass.com/52470/Dry-race-g ... -Singapore
:wtf:

SectorOne

Now you have confused me :D

What confused you?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Hail22

The short version of tonights FIA press conference:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

mikeerfol

Hail22

mikeerfol wrote:http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 16356.html

Only 1 question from the floor?

The media makes its money mostly on baseless drama / bullcrap so this is what they're missing from this weeks press conference:

Lewis Hamilton

Nico Rosberg

Fernando Alonso

Seb Vettel

Daniel Ricciardo

Without these drivers the media has no incentive to ask questions that won't make it to the front pages of the motorsports section etc.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

mkay
mkay

Kingshark wrote:
mkay wrote:
Kingshark wrote:

Yes Nico did benefit from the safety car and Piquet incident, but the 10-second stop-and-go penalty neutralized his advantage. Lewis was driving an MP4/23, while Nico was driving an FW30 (which finished 8th in the WCC ffs) and Nico still came out on top. ;)
Your point being?

Lewis finished a minute ahead in 2009 despite Rosberg starting 3rd (Lewis, 1st) and Nakajima (FFS!) outraced Rosberg in the end.

We can play this game all day long.
Before crossing the pitlane line, Rosberg was matching both Hamilton and Vettel on pace despite driving a weaker car.

As for 2012, where many praise Lewis for leading until his car conked. Let me remind ourselves that Nico finished P5 in a WO3, a car so bad that it didn't score a single point for the next 5 races.

Needless to say, I've never denied that Hamilton has been reasonably good around this circuit. It's just that Alonso and Rosberg have been more impressive than him.
The W03 was great around Monaco (MSC got pole) and both cars made it into the top 10 with MSC outqualifying Rosberg. It clearly was suited to this type of tracks.

Lewis was utterly dominant that weekend in 2012 and it's a shame it ended in a DNF (actually not so much because otherwise he probably would have stayed at McLaren).

We can twist this all you want - Rosberg has definitely been great at Singapore, but that's what we said of him in China, etc. and he got served a proper tonking. Safe to say both drivers are very good around there and let's leave it at that.

OblongCheese
OblongCheese

Hail22 wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 16356.html

Only 1 question from the floor?

The media makes its money mostly on baseless drama / bullcrap so this is what they're missing from this weeks press conference:

Lewis Hamilton

Nico Rosberg

Fernando Alonso

Seb Vettel

Daniel Ricciardo

Without these drivers the media has no incentive to ask questions that won't make it to the front pages of the motorsports section etc.
It really is a joke isn't it?

Not a single question about anything technical from the floor.

Reading F1 press conferences is normally a most boring affair. You can tell the drivers don't want to be there and you can tell the press are struggling to come up with questions for them.

mikeerfol

Is this cloud seeding thing for race only?
https://twitter.com/OfficialSF1Team/sta ... 4434668544

FW17

mikeerfol wrote:Is this cloud seeding thing for race only?

https://twitter.com/OfficialSF1Team/sta ... 4434668544

Did it dry up so fast?

SectorOne

Alonso running super light again.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

f1316
f1316

SectorOne wrote:Alonso running super light again.
I'm never sure if it's light or that they run the engine at full(er) power/ERS deploy/etc. during practice than other teams - or indeed a combination of the two.

Still don't think he runs different settings than Kimi though, so still impressive.

SectorOne

I think he ran light, the car was extremely nimble and light on it´s feet through the mickey mouse stuff.

Also, Vergne is on medication? He literally said give me the medicine.

mikeerfol

SectorOne wrote:I think he ran light, the car was extremely nimble and light on it´s feet through the mickey mouse stuff.

Also, Vergne is on medication? He literally said give me the medicine.
Maybe it's a coded message? :P

SectorOne

Could be but i think i saw the tablets in his hand, could be something else though.