no more help for the drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pierce89

Re: no more help for the drivers

I LOVE the fact that Lewis's and Nico's engineers will no longer be telling them about every entry,apex,and exit of the opposing driver anymore. Merc is the only team where I've noticed so much actual "driving tips". I mean "Lewis is gaining time in turn four because hes braking slightly sooner and taking an earlier apex and carrying more speed" , that was just going way too far to allow that type of communication, IMHO.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

danielk
danielk

I really do not understand how they can police this. What is and isnt included is anyone guess??

a message saying -

Your marginal on fuel? Is that assisting?

A message saying push hard at the beginning or end of stint?

A message saying: Its Hammer time Lewis!

I think they are going a little too far tbh if all of that is banned. Yes telling a driver where to break etc needs to stop. But tire info, Fuel Info, Strategy Info, i dont see whats wrong with that.

They may as well do away with the radios and have it one way driver to pits with pre approved prerecorded messages back to driver

dans79

As I said a little earlier, people need to relax. We have a week till the next race, and that's plenty of time for the teams to get clarifications, and for the FIA to backpedal a little.
197 104 103 7

Moxie
Moxie

dans79 wrote:As I said a little earlier, people need to relax. We have a week till the next race, and that's plenty of time for the teams to get clarifications, and for the FIA to backpedal a little.
True but...

The FIA and FOM have established a history of making changes, large and small without thinking through the consequences. They need to spend a little time analyzing the game theory, and then make a thorough statement regarding specifics of the rules and how they will be applied. Instead the give us half baked, knee-jerk, bull $h1t, so we speculate.

Pingguest
Pingguest

I think the new rule is simply unenforceable, unless telemetry is banned. If FIA want the drivers to race 'unaided', they should do make the drivers do the entire race distance alone. No pit stops, no telemetry, no communication.

Scootin159
Scootin159

It's impossible for them to keep the team from communicating what they already know - if they wanted to they could even just use voice inflections to message the driver.

If they really wanted to make this work, they need to ban all wireless telemetry. They can still record everything under the sun, but they won't be able to see the data until the car comes back into the pits at the end of the session (or if necessary, a long mid-race pitstop could be an option). Then make them free to display whatever data they deem critical to the driver via automated warnings on the steering wheel display.

Then you can make the team to say whatever they want to both ways - they can make suggestions to the drivers, but without the telemetry data, they would just be making educated guesses. If they want to give strategy advise to the driver so they can manage fuel loads - they would need to have the driver periodically read the fuel level off the display and relay it to the team. If the driver is unsure about tire pressures, have him read the tire pressures off the display.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Scootin159 wrote:It's impossible for them to keep the team from communicating what they already know - if they wanted to they could even just use voice inflections to message the driver.

If they really wanted to make this work, they need to ban all wireless telemetry. They can still record everything under the sun, but they won't be able to see the data until the car comes back into the pits at the end of the session (or if necessary, a long mid-race pitstop could be an option). Then make them free to display whatever data they deem critical to the driver via automated warnings on the steering wheel display.

Then you can make the team to say whatever they want to both ways - they can make suggestions to the drivers, but without the telemetry data, they would just be making educated guesses. If they want to give strategy advise to the driver so they can manage fuel loads - they would need to have the driver periodically read the fuel level off the display and relay it to the team. If the driver is unsure about tire pressures, have him read the tire pressures off the display.
I think we are starting to miss the point here. Formula 1 is meant to be the pinnacle, to ban live telemetry would be a step backwards. The intention is to put an end to "driving advice" from engineers, which is essentially the engineers telling the drivers how to drive the car. It seems in trying to do this, the FIA is going a little over the top and potentially preventing race engineers from doing their job.

I personally don't see how an engineer telling a driver how much fuel is remaining, or stating tyre temperatures is in breach of this regulation. It wouldn't be an instruction, it's just stating facts. Asking the driver to select certain engine modes etc. is open to debate, and raises an interesting question...

Mercedes had previously imposed team orders on their drivers to prevent them using certain engine modes at certain stages of the race. Does this prevent this from happening now? Instructing a driver to select an engine mode, and telling a driver he may not use an engine mode are two different things.

dans79

Diesel wrote: I think we are starting to miss the point here. Formula 1 is meant to be the pinnacle, to ban live telemetry would be a step backwards. The intention is to put an end to "driving advice" from engineers, which is essentially the engineers telling the drivers how to drive the car. It seems in trying to do this, the FIA is going a little over the top and potentially preventing race engineers from doing their job.

I personally don't see how an engineer telling a driver how much fuel is remaining, or stating tyre temperatures is in breach of this regulation. It wouldn't be an instruction, it's just stating facts. Asking the driver to select certain engine modes etc. is open to debate, and raises an interesting question...

Mercedes had previously imposed team orders on their drivers to prevent them using certain engine modes at certain stages of the race. Does this prevent this from happening now? Instructing a driver to select an engine mode, and telling a driver he may not use an engine mode are two different things.
I completely agree, and this is exactly why I expect some backpedaling.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

To me it is very simple. You police by exclusion. Give the teams a list of what they SHALL NOT say to the drivers and that will simply things greatly.

Things such as...
Where to brake
how to take a corner
how to warm up the various systems and when they are warm
What settings your team mate is using
how much fuel is left
Engine settings your team mate is using
Tyre conditions (not even for punctures!)
Where to use DRS
What engine mode to use and when to use it

The driver must be a master of his machine. Not the other way around.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mrluke
mrluke

PlatinumZealot wrote:To me it is very simple. You police by exclusion. Give the teams a list of what they SHALL NOT say to the drivers and that will simply things greatly.

Things such as...
Where to brake
how to take a corner
how to warm up the various systems and when they are warm
What settings your team mate is using
how much fuel is left
Engine settings your team mate is using
Where to use DRS
What engine mode to use and when to use it

The driver must be a master of his machine. Not the other way around.
Easily defeated.

Tell the driver:
Where not to brake
Which systems are cold
"We think you should try these other settings"
How much fuel they have used
as above
"Advise happy dial to position 3"
Have a light for when DRS is available
"use hammer time at start of straight"

Paul

McLaren Electronics have already provided a much needed update to their display:

AnthonyG

I see teams risking a stop and go (more likely add the time to your race) giving their driver information.
Part usage is limited and race fuel non compliance is a disqualification, you'd be stupid to live by this rule if the driver is breaking his car or overconsuming.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

RZS10

PlatinumZealot wrote:To me it is very simple. You police by exclusion. Give the teams a list of what they SHALL NOT say to the drivers and that will simply things greatly.

Things such as...
[...]
[...]
Informing the driver about a (possible) puncture HAS to be allowed, it is safety related ... but it could be easily circumvented by ordering him to come in for a pitstop

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

This is an entirely self created problem by FOM constant broadcasting such team radio messages. Given that FOM are entirely in control of almost all the races, the solution is as simple as it gets, don't broadcast messages that give a bad outside perception. If it is to be banned, it's completely un-policable.

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

For me a lot of whats being said on the radio is stuff the drivers should already know! These are the top drivers in the world, they should know how to pace a race and operate their cars. If they cant and don't then they shouldn't be in F1.

The team radios have allowed the driver controls to become ridiculously complicated because the driver doesn't need to learn all the settings. The engineer just tells them what to do. Simplify the controls, giving the driver the ability to reset things from memory when he thinks he needs to.

Give them brake balance, fuel modes and diff settings (with the option to reset in case of errors) and thats all.