no more help for the drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Per
Per

Re: no more help for the drivers

Just a question - does the FIA actually check for teams using radio communication on different frequencies? I know this would be pretty bad cheating (I found article 8.7 in the technical regs) but if no-one monitors it...

Shrieker

Maybe not the FIA, but you can bet your house that the other teams do.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SectorOne

Diesel wrote:Ugh. I would hate it if this started to affect races because the drivers start running out of fuel and silly things like that...
Then it´s his own mistake since he did not bother to check the fuel from time to time.

Honestly most things like this is normal in simracing.
Sometimes you change your pit strategies on the fly and have to calculate how much more fuel is actually needed for each stop to get you to the finish line.
There´s no guy talking in your ear about how much fuel to put in or if you should double stint your tires and all that.

If simracers can do it, F1 drivers can do it i´m sure.
Q: Are commands such as SOC 3, MIX 5, FUEL 2 still allowed?
FIA: No, definitely not. This is exactly what we feel infringes Article 20.1.

Q: What about all of the instructions the drivers receive on a formation lap in order to warm up the tyres and brakes, synchronise the gearbox, carry out burnouts and so on?
FIA: None of this would be allowed as again, this is exactly what we feel infringes Article 20.1.
First one might actually make the sport less complex since the drivers quite possibly will complain over too many options.

Second one is utterly brilliant and will no doubt create an even bigger gap between the really good drivers and the not so good ones.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Hail22

I won't be surprised if we see electronic LED pit boards that will offer similar assistance albeit less direct / clear.

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

SectorOne wrote:
Diesel wrote:Ugh. I would hate it if this started to affect races because the drivers start running out of fuel and silly things like that...
Then it´s his own mistake since he did not bother to check the fuel from time to time.

Honestly most things like this is normal in simracing.
Sometimes you change your pit strategies on the fly and have to calculate how much more fuel is actually needed for each stop to get you to the finish line.
There´s no guy talking in your ear about how much fuel to put in or if you should double stint your tires and all that.

If simracers can do it, F1 drivers can do it i´m sure.
Q: Are commands such as SOC 3, MIX 5, FUEL 2 still allowed?
FIA: No, definitely not. This is exactly what we feel infringes Article 20.1.

Q: What about all of the instructions the drivers receive on a formation lap in order to warm up the tyres and brakes, synchronise the gearbox, carry out burnouts and so on?
FIA: None of this would be allowed as again, this is exactly what we feel infringes Article 20.1.
First one might actually make the sport less complex since the drivers quite possibly will complain over too many options.

Second one is utterly brilliant and will no doubt create an even bigger gap between the really good drivers and the not so good ones.
Sim racers have the advantage of a better FOV and no depth of field, i.e. we see more and we don't have to adjust our focus to see it.

I still think they might as well just ban the radio all together, what purpose does it serve now?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Hail22 wrote:I won't be surprised if we see electronic LED pit boards that will offer similar assistance albeit less direct / clear.

http://www.ledpitboard.com/images/led_p ... s2.JPG?136
I think that would still be disallowed. The rule doesn't stipulate radio communication specifically, it means all forms of communication.

dans79

are there rules that prevent HUD style helmets?
197 104 103 7

SectorOne

Diesel wrote:Sim racers have the advantage of a better FOV and no depth of field, i.e. we see more and we don't have to adjust our focus to see it.
Only with three screens do you get even remotely close to a real FOV.
You are talking about running lots of FOV on one screen which actually destroys more then it benefits you because now nothing is 1:1 and you will have issues judging distance and lines as well as if you ran 1:1 FOV (which is almost impossible on one screen)

No DoF is a disadvantage, the eye isn´t a camera where it takes seconds to re-adjust itself to things like depth or lighting.

Edit: i can write a whole list about disadvantages simracers has as opposed to real drivers.
Everything from G-forces to screen resolution to you name it.
Diesel wrote:I still think they might as well just ban the radio all together, what purpose does it serve now?
Traffic, when to pit etc.
Last edited by SectorOne on 12 Sep 2014, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

SectorOne

dans79 wrote:are there rules that prevent HUD style helmets?
Something like this would be cool yes,

http://arabia.style.com/men/gear/motors ... le-helmet/

dans79

Yep, I was thinking of a skully type helmet, or something similar to what the military uses What I wasn't sure of, was if it violated any current rules.
197 104 103 7

Gaz.
Gaz.

I can't find anything specific but:

Tech Regs 2014:

Any electronic modules used for driver information displays and switch inputs must be supplied by an FIA designated supplier
to a specification determined by the FIA and be suitably housed by each team.

In the FIA helmet regulations nothing is mentioned about HUD, provided the helmet passes the crash/impact/crush tests, fire resistance, abrasion and piercing tests then it appears that as far as the FIA are concerned you can use your HUD visor on an approved & certified helmet:

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... Helmet.pdf

Providing a constructor is approved to make their own information displays then it seems that HUD is legal.
Forza Jules

strad

Driving at the limit has nothing to do with a brakepoint at 200m or 195 m
Wrong..very wrong.. many pass has been made by withholding braking for 5m
For many of those questions posed that you don't think has to do with driver coaching, thing like when to pit etc.. that can still be handled the old fashioned way... A Pit Board.
How oh how did Mario or Fangio, or Hill D., G., or P. ,,, and all those others get by??? :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

SectorOne wrote:
Diesel wrote:Sim racers have the advantage of a better FOV and no depth of field, i.e. we see more and we don't have to adjust our focus to see it.
Only with three screens do you get even remotely close to a real FOV.
You are talking about running lots of FOV on one screen which actually destroys more then it benefits you because now nothing is 1:1 and you will have issues judging distance and lines as well as if you ran 1:1 FOV (which is almost impossible on one screen)

No DoF is a disadvantage, the eye isn´t a camera where it takes seconds to re-adjust itself to things like depth or lighting.

Edit: i can write a whole list about disadvantages simracers has as opposed to real drivers.
Everything from G-forces to screen resolution to you name it.
"...get even remotely close to a real FOV."

You've just made my point, sim racers run a higher field of view, which is an advantage. Also, explain the bit about how DoF being a disadvantage? My point about it is that it's an advantage because you can look at a dash indicator while still keeping the track ahead in focus.

Sim racers have disadvantages granted, seat of the pants etc. but they also have a lot of advantages, unlimited running, lack of risk, etc.

cooken
cooken

I would have thought that at the highest level simracers would have a crew on the pit wall (someone on team speak) monitoring telemetry, looking for gaps in traffic, calculating fuel etc..

NTS
NTS

BMW developed a HUD system for their F1 drivers back when they were still in F1, I think 2002. It was based on an LCD screen with some lense type technology that made the image clear on the visor.

Edit: Found a link, see here for description and pictures: http://www.f1network.net/main/s107/st10359.htm