no more help for the drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Re: no more help for the drivers

This is terrible in my opinion, and in the middle of a season no less. Welcome to the 21st century, FIA. We have these things called radios and computers, and highly complex race cars that beg equally complex data gathering, telemetry, and operation... but don't let all that get in the way of what the fans supposedly "want"

rayden
rayden

Hopefully this will make the starts a lot more organic/random.

Instead of 20 or so identical starts + 2 random stinkers every race.

SectorOne

Diesel wrote:You've just made my point, sim racers run a higher field of view, which is an advantage.
No it´s not. You think it is but it´s not. There´s one correct FOV and everything else is a disadvantage, that´s why people buy three screens to continue to see out on the sides while running 1:1 FOV.
I reiterate, running high FOV in simracing is a disadvantage, it´s a compromise because of the one screen.
Diesel wrote:Also, explain the bit about how DoF being a disadvantage? My point about it is that it's an advantage because you can look at a dash indicator while still keeping the track ahead in focus.
You´ll have a much harder time judging distance correctly. Also wrong. If your eyes watches the display of whatever car you are driving the road ahead is not in focus, it´s called peripheral vision and it does not care about if you watch a display or "real life".

Edit: just facts, sorry.
Last edited by SectorOne on 12 Sep 2014, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

prince
prince

This is posted elsewhere... After radio ban on driver performance.

Team radio "Lewis - 5 apples, a banana, Dustin Hoffman and a purple, respond?" ... "Gorilla"

iotar__

If looking at a dashboard wasn't a disadvantage they'd be already doing that. There would be no need for banning simpler and better way of someone informing you over the radio. Ask Rosberg in China when he had to read out numbers if it's not distracting.

I don't see any of this as really important and as always there are questions of why they're doing it now in the middle of the season. If everyone uses it, cumulated gain is zero and performance higher. Cumulated meaning that not for all equally: for some driver it might be important in the race (the one with higher fuel consumption) and for the other not. One would have to look at the display and the other not thus making stupid fuel consumption or brake temperatures even more important.

What about failure events like Perez in Canada or Monza when his sensor failed and his engine was below 100% for three(?) laps. So on top dealing with worse performance he can't hear any information about adjustment of the car and driving to that? Brilliant, pure racing and another area for random stewarding and special circumstances for some.

Edit: Oh look clarification needed, no s.. sherlock. http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3160 ... trictions/ "This is a complex and controversial decision which will require a significant effort from the teams to understand how best we can work around it," said Wolff, who is the first team boss to share his thoughts on the rule change.
"The directive is not yet fully clear and there will inevitably be some controversy, so it will need further clarification as to how much the essential on-track procedures will be affected – particularly before the start of the race."

BTS
BTS

In the possible situation that a car looses performance during the even, would the team be allowed to give instruction to do a system reset?
My understanding is no. :cry:

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

prince wrote:This is posted elsewhere... After radio ban on driver performance.

Team radio "Lewis - 5 apples, a banana, Dustin Hoffman and a purple, respond?" ... "Gorilla"
This is most likely what will happen. Just like with the team orders thing a few years ago, there is no way to prove it's a breach of the rules.
BTS wrote:In the possible situation that a car looses performance during the even, would the team be allowed to give instruction to do a system reset?
My understanding is no. :cry:

Based on the FIA's recent comments, that is also my understanding. It probably means we will see more cars retiring or limping home. It's shame because I thought this change was meant to be about improving the racing.

Having a think about this though, I can't see a reason why they can't program the car to provide the same important information the engineer does, via automated audio. They currently have bleeps for things like DRS activation, and upshifts points. Surely they could just take this a step further and have voice messages for things like fuel consumption, tyres temps etc.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 12 Sep 2014, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Moxie
Moxie

To make this rule enforceable the FIA must stipulate no coded talk. Perhaps using a standard such as, "If no none else understands it, then it is banned communication." Unfortunately, this still gives teams a fair amount of wiggle room, but it will reduce the ability to give explicit directions in code.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Moxie wrote:To make this rule enforceable the FIA must stipulate no coded talk. Perhaps using a standard such as, "If no none else understands it, then it is banned communication." Unfortunately, this still gives teams a fair amount of wiggle room, but it will reduce the ability to give explicit directions in code.
They might as well just ban radio, much easier to enforce.

Moxie
Moxie

While I do support the reason behind banning explicit directions over the radio radio, I'm not so sure banning radio altogether is practical or safe. Someone suggested allowing one way communication from driver to box, and one way communication from race control to driver. I do believe this is a better solution. There is another option, and that is to ban live streaming telemetry. Without the data in hand the teams will be unable to give such explicit directions lap after lap. They can still remove/ replace the thumb drive during the pit stop, and evaluate their fuel and tire data. At that point they would be free to tell the driver that he used too much fuel in that stint and turn it down a notch for 5 laps.

ecapox

Red laser 15. chipmunk blue 24 diamond. omaha. omaha. omaha.

cma
cma

I guess the fancy screens on the steering wheel will now show all the fuel consumption issue, brake info, temps info, etc....

So with no radio comms wont this leave the public at a loss to explain why driver X has slowed down. Has he slowed cos he's running out of fuel, tyre temps too high? Diff getting too hot?

Can't see how it improves the "Show" but can see how it makes the drivers less of an engineering puppet. Expect more drivers driving off the circuit as they get to grips with doing 200things on the steering wheel instead of driving the car

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I think this is definitely going to to open to interpretation. By the letter of that rule, stating the remaining fuel would simply be stating a fact, as opposed to giving an order to save fuel.

Baulz
Baulz

Moxie wrote:To make this rule enforceable the FIA must stipulate no coded talk. Perhaps using a standard such as, "If no none else understands it, then it is banned communication." Unfortunately, this still gives teams a fair amount of wiggle room, but it will reduce the ability to give explicit directions in code.
"Nico, hot blonde in grandstand early turn 11" = Early apex turn 11
"Nico, hot blonde in grandstand after turn 11" = Later apex turn 11

Would this work?

Also, does the FIA monitor any cell phone communications? Could the teams integrate a device into the helmets?

langwadt
langwadt

Baulz wrote:
"Nico, hot blonde in grandstand early turn 11" = Early apex turn 11
"Nico, hot blonde in grandstand after turn 11" = Later apex turn 11

Would this work?

Also, does the FIA monitor any cell phone communications? Could the teams integrate a device into the helmets?
I don't think the FIA cares what media they use to communicate, afaict pitboards are also covered.

It would be cheating but it would be no problem putting cell phone capability in the steering wheel or helmet

the whole thing is wide open for interpretation, what will they doing random chit chat on the radio? they say they
still want the funny stuff like "I know what I'm doing"

you mom wants to let you know she'll be late for breakfast, but you sister will be ready with hot coffee at 11, do you want ice cream for dinner?