Engine technology free-for-all

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
coaster

Re: Engine technology free-for-all

Thats a saucy looking turbo motor, the packaging lends itself well to an open wheel car even though its dtm.

pgfpro

My 4G63 2.0L 4cyl.Turbo Compound 88mm feeding a 59mm with my home-built Pre-Chamber. This engine is going to be powering my 71 Camaro. More information here

building the perfect beast

vorticism

Zynerji wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 19:10
Sadly, with how non-intuitive these PUs are...
It occurred to me yesterday that we've reached the tenth year of the 1.6 turbo hybrid V6 regulations era and not one (1) single, notable celebratory recognition of this fact has appeared in the press nor elsewhere. Pretty interesting.
𓄀

Zynerji

pgfpro wrote:
11 Feb 2024, 17:40
My 4G63 2.0L 4cyl.Turbo Compound 88mm feeding a 59mm with my home-built Pre-Chamber. This engine is going to be powering my 71 Camaro. More information here

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=65F067B8
I'm surprised we don't see more of this, tbh.

FYI. The GM Atlas I4, I5 and I6 all have a teardrop shaped casting around the spark plug. AFAIK, it's the only junkyard motor that has the space to add a direct injector in the same hole and get an active TJI outcome.

pgfpro

Zynerji wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 22:24
pgfpro wrote:

FYI. The GM Atlas I4, I5 and I6 all have a teardrop shaped casting around the spark plug. AFAIK, it's the only junkyard motor that has the space to add a direct injector in the same hole and get an active TJI outcome.
Thanks for the kind words.

I would Love to have an "Active Pre-Chamber" with DI but my budget at this time won't support it. On my passive PC I have had four different spray guided piston designs to feed the PC. I have another video showing my single intake and exhaust valve to help feed the indexed PC housing. It's a crude design but it does work to run lean burn for FE purposes. My personal best so far is 45mpg @ 65 mph with a 30:1 A/F ratio and performance wise the Talon has gone high 8's @ 155mph in four valve lift mode. The torch of the PC helps this engine run on several types of fuel including automotive paint waste solvent. More info here https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread. ... 28776.html

Single valve FE video.

Zynerji

pgfpro wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 16:09
Zynerji wrote:
pgfpro wrote:

I would Love to have an "Active Pre-Chamber" with DI but my budget at this time won't support it. On my passive PC I have had four different spray guided piston designs to feed the PC. I have another video showing my single intake and exhaust valve to help feed the indexed PC housing. It's a crude design but it does work to run lean burn for FE purposes. My personal best so far is 45mpg @ 65 mph with a 30:1 A/F ratio and performance wise the Talon has gone high 8's @ 155mph in four valve lift mode. The torch of the PC helps this engine run on several types of fuel including automotive paint waste solvent. More info here https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread. ... 28776.html

Single valve FE video.
I love it! I wonder if you could put an insert into the jet that would make it output a vortex like this:

I think that is what the Honda video showed a few years ago, that the shockwave ignition was a similar phenomenon.

or this actually shows it a bit better:

pgfpro

Zynerji wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 16:28
pgfpro wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 16:09
Zynerji wrote:

Single valve FE video.
I love it! I wonder if you could put an insert into the jet that would make it output a vortex like this:

I think that is what the Honda video showed a few years ago, that the shockwave ignition was a similar phenomenon.

or this actually shows it a bit better:

Very cool idea. I can change the PC fairly easy do to the fact my prototype design has a screw in center that makes it easy for machine work purposes. Thanks for the idea. What's crazy is one of my first designs that work really well was a lot like this. I'll start with it and make some minor changes first and come up with a way on my home-built combustion generator to video the results.

Zynerji

pgfpro wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 16:46

Very cool idea. I can change the PC fairly easy do to the fact my prototype design has a screw in center that makes it easy for machine work purposes. Thanks for the idea. What's crazy is one of my first designs that work really well was a lot like this. I'll start with it and make some minor changes first and come up with a way on my home-built combustion generator to video the results.
I look forward to the vids!! I would expect the tighter the vortex, the better, but there may be others here that can contribute. Also, I would expect that a vortex ring hitting the top of the piston, then turning out to the cylinder walls may benefit from a cone-topped piston in order to facilitate this transition smoothly and guide the vortex ring and shockwave to the walls (or a groove in the outer top of the piston crown) like a diesel piston.

pgfpro

Zynerji wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 19:32
pgfpro wrote:

I look forward to the vids!! I would expect the tighter the vortex, the better, but there may be others here that can contribute. Also, I would expect that a vortex ring hitting the top of the piston, then turning out to the cylinder walls may benefit from a cone-topped piston in order to facilitate this transition smoothly and guide the vortex ring and shockwave to the walls (or a groove in the outer top of the piston crown) like a diesel piston.
First, I want to say thanks for the great information and ideas. You really got me thinking and I think my first successful design really might have been making a vortex ring like you're talking about. I should know more in a few weeks, and I'll post the results on here. Here is a napkin sketch of my V4 design I'm talking about.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread. ... post691864
This version works great but produced a ton of heat at the spark plug when it went into GCI mode. I adjust the Pt coil to retard ignition timing but also change the vertical torch to a 120-degree four torch design. I made the typical mistake of changing more than one thing at a time. lol I fixed the heat problem but never tried this version again. I want to change the piston crown to the cone shape you were talking about also. I first need to see what the diameter of the vortex is now, then reduce or increase the diameter like you were saying. Thanks again. :)

Zynerji

pgfpro wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 16:43
Zynerji wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 19:32
pgfpro wrote:

First, I want to say thanks for the great information and ideas. You really got me thinking and I think my first successful design really might have been making a vortex ring like you're talking about. I should know more in a few weeks, and I'll post the results on here. Here is a napkin sketch of my V4 design I'm talking about.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread. ... post691864
This version works great but produced a ton of heat at the spark plug when it went into GCI mode. I adjust the Pt coil to retard ignition timing but also change the vertical torch to a 120-degree four torch design. I made the typical mistake of changing more than one thing at a time. lol I fixed the heat problem but never tried this version again. I want to change the piston crown to the cone shape you were talking about also. I first need to see what the diameter of the vortex is now, then reduce or increase the diameter like you were saying. Thanks again. :)
This just became my favorite post on F1T. =D>

pgfpro

Sorry it's been a while since my last post. Still working on the chassis side and did some home-built smoke and combustion tests. I'm lacking on the video and pics quality due to me just using an iPhone and Go Pro.
This version is definitely making a smoke ring, just adjusting the diameter of the ring right now.

Here is a photo of low dollar combustion test.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApE5jOsGmNZx0QjeVq0 ... k?e=j756cW

I also just purchased some tooling to build the piston tops to the new cone shape. This will take some time mainly due to getting the spray guided piston indexing.