McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sasha
Sasha

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

By looking at the Honda PU,the MP4-30 will have RB like sidepods.

aral
aral

Sasha wrote:By looking at the Honda PU,the MP4-30 will have RB like sidepods.
How do you work that one out?? It is not the pu that dictates the sidepod shape or size, but the ancilliaries and aero needs.

Sasha
Sasha

gilgen wrote:
How do you work that one out?? It is not the pu that dictates the sidepod shape or size, but the ancilliaries and aero needs.
The Honda PU they tested in Abu Dhabi had exhaust just like in the RB.

So it looks like Mclaren is going to take the best from Mercedes and RB to make the MP4-30.
(Mercedes like PU with RB like Aero)

But the orginal plan was to run the RB like exhaust the first day and then the Mercedes like exhaust on the second day.

aral
aral

Sasha wrote:
gilgen wrote:
The Honda PU they tested in Abu Dhabi had exhaust just like in the RB.

So it looks like Mclaren is going to take the best from Mercedes and RB to make the MP4-30.
(Mercedes like PU with RB like Aero)

But the orginal plan was to run the RB like exhaust the first day and then the Mercedes like exhaust on the second day.
I take it that you are aware that the pu at abu was not the final iteration of the engine? Currently it is the 02 version, and there will be a different version at spring testing. There is absolutely no way that anyone can say what the MP4-30 will look like.

Sasha
Sasha

Do you understand that the only thing changing on the Honda PU is code and it either will have the RB like low exhaust or the Mercedes log exhaust.NOTHING MORE MAJOR DIFFERENT.

aral
aral

Sasha wrote:Do you understand that the only thing changing on the Honda PU is code and it either will have the RB like low exhaust or the Mercedes log exhaust.NOTHING MORE MAJOR DIFFERENT.
So when the Honda chairman states that the engine will be different, he is telling porkies?

Thunder

There very well may be big differences in the forthcoming PU's but they will be Internally,on the ERS Side or minor changes on the Periphery.
I think what Sasha means with "nothing mor major different" is really Major stuff that affects the whole Packaging of the Rear End, and Log Style vs. Red Bull Style Headers is a HUGE difference.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

scarbs
scarbs

Sasha wrote:Do you understand that the only thing changing on the Honda PU is code and it either will have the RB like low exhaust or the Mercedes log exhaust.NOTHING MORE MAJOR DIFFERENT.
With this inside knowledge you have. How are they going to sort the weight issues?

frosty125
frosty125

Spill the beans Scarbs, tell us what you know.

Sasha
Sasha

scarbs wrote:
With this inside knowledge you have. How are they going to sort the weight issues?
If I tell,I would be looking for a new job. :-
(Honda Racing turbo engines always have weight issues.Sometimes I think they are designing the engine for 10+bar boost.
And with some 80's F1 era retiree's working on the project-they always overbuilt the engine)
Last edited by Sasha on 11 Dec 2014, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

aral
aral

Sasha wrote: If I tell,I would be looking for a new job. :-
(Honda engines always have weight issues)
Oh my goodness! So that automatically means that everything they produce will always be heavier than anyone elses? If I remember correctly, their s 800 engine was much lighter than any other 800cc engine.

mikeerfol

800cc? MotoGP?

SiLo

Having Red Bull aero will help them. But they still won't beat Mercedes with it.

They need something more.
Felipe Baby!

diffuser

SiLo wrote:Having Red Bull aero will help them. But they still won't beat Mercedes with it.

They need something more.

I don't believe that. Well at least with RBR. I think if they get close enough with the engine, they'll challenge. If they can replicate at McLaren...the same applies.

diffuser

Sure wish there was a race Sunday ......I think I'm suffering from F1 withdraw :cry: