McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
WaikeCU

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

diffuser wrote:Sure wish there was a race Sunday ......I think I'm suffering from F1 withdraw :cry:
Same, I just wished they did something like Masters Karting Paris-Bercy this month and not the Race Of Champions. Would be nice to see a mixture of champions and other fans favorites going head to head in karts.

Sasha
Sasha

The MP4-30 already past the crash test.So it seems they are really ahead in the game for next year.

Source Boullier

diffuser

Sasha wrote:The MP4-30 already past the crash test.So it seems they are really ahead in the game for next year.

Source Boullier
that's good...if nothing else it will be able to crash :lol:

user001
user001

Sasha wrote:The MP4-30 already past the crash test.So it seems they are really ahead in the game for next year.

Source Boullier
only cause they already past the crash test means nothing to me regarding how quick the car is. only that they are not behind the schedule like with the PU. it was reported Honda is already on the backfoot meaning 1-2 months behind.

sauber and many other were also very early with their crash test.... means nothing to me.

adrianjordan

winth304 wrote:

Source Boullier
R
only cause they already past the crash test means nothing to me regarding how quick the car is. only that they are not behind the schedule like with the PU. it was reported Honda is already on the backfoot meaning 1-2 months behind.

sauber and many other were also very early with their crash test.... means nothing to me.
Reported means nothing. We can't judge until the first proper tests. Hell they could technically be behind but still be competitive in theory!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

gary123

Yes but this means that the chassis is ready. McLaren haves a last filming day and it could be that they use the 30 instead of the 29H. Boullier said that the problems have been solved. And the filings day with the 30 at this moment of time is gold.

CptPeanut
CptPeanut

winth304 wrote:it was reported Honda is already on the backfoot meaning 1-2 months behind.
Can we see some links to back this theory?

McMrocks
McMrocks

Even if there's a link... most of the articles the journos write are speculative with no facts or reliable sources. Ofthen they make up a "guy close to Honda" who told them that.

Fact is we don't know where Honda is and we'll probably never know until the tests or the first race. They won't tell us... they won't tell the journos either if there were major issues.

Those journos are doing the same thing as we are doing right now- sitting in front of a PC and wondering what to write.

dren

Ron stated Prodromou came in and confirmed the aero direction they took with the MP4-29 was wrong. Pretty much what we all suspected. I think we can assume we will see a very Red Bullesque looking car. They were using large air to air intercoolers with the Honda unit, similar to Red Bull with the Renault.

Also, James Allen noted on his website that the 2015 chassis is already quite a bit quicker than the 2014 chassis in the simulator.
Honda!

aral
aral

dren wrote: I think we can assume we will see a very Red Bullesque looking car.

Also, James Allen noted on his website that the 2015 chassis is already quite a bit quicker than the 2014 chassis in the simulator.
First comment..... WHY?
Second comment......This was said in 2014 as well! There is a hell of a difference between a simulator and actual on road testing!

kooleracer
kooleracer

dren wrote:Ron stated Prodromou came in and confirmed the aero direction they took with the MP4-29 was wrong. Pretty much what we all suspected. I think we can assume we will see a very Red Bullesque looking car. They were using large air to air intercoolers with the Honda unit, similar to Red Bull with the Renault.

Good to know because the 29 wasn't that quick. McLaren are looking to close 1.5-2 second margin in race pace over the winter compared to Mercedes. If they can achieve Williams like pace next year then they already have made huge step.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

trinidefender
trinidefender

dren wrote:Ron stated Prodromou came in and confirmed the aero direction they took with the MP4-29 was wrong. Pretty much what we all suspected. I think we can assume we will see a very Red Bullesque looking car. They were using large air to air intercoolers with the Honda unit, similar to Red Bull with the Renault.

Any engineer will tell you that there is more than one way to do something. Ron never stated that PP came in and said the aero direction they were going in is wrong. In fact considering how much progress the mp4-29 made from the start of the season till the end I would actually say that they were improving and generally moving in the right direction. My impression is hat simply when PP. Came in he started to tweak things and shifted the aero concept more to something that he knows works.

Avocado
Avocado

CptPeanut wrote:
winth304 wrote:it was reported Honda is already on the backfoot meaning 1-2 months behind.
Can we see some links to back this theory?
It's nothing. Stupid rumors from Italy, months ago. Honda said that they are on schedule.

frosty125
frosty125

gilgen wrote:
First comment..... WHY?
Because the new head of Aero at McLaren was head of aero at Red Bull last year. His first update was a wing with an identical concept to the RB10.

aral
aral

frosty125 wrote:
gilgen wrote:
First comment..... WHY?
Because the new head of Aero at McLaren was head of aero at Red Bull last year. His first update was a wing with an identical concept to the RB10.
Oh dear! The shape of the Macca will depend a lot on packaging arrangements. And new thinking could lead to a vastly different car. Dont forget, Newey designed the tub, packaging etc of the Bull, not prodromou