2014 Russian GP - Sochi

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2014 Russian GP - Sochi

WilliamsF1 wrote:If you look at the satellite imagery, the place offers some opportunities for beautiful curves rather than hard sharp apex corners that have been used

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... 88ffea.jpg
Indeed, it's a shame it's just another Abu Dhabi supermarket carpark type track.

kalinka
kalinka

gray41 wrote:No pole lap but a virtual lap from F1 2014 the game:
I hate these track introduction videos with those camera switches every 2sec. You can't get a real impression on track. I don't want to see front suspension details in track intro videos...stupid thing. It's just confusing. A plain good old onboard would be much better.

Cuky

there is a video from F12014 game where you can better see how the track looks from onboard. No camera changes at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceuIIKVEmGs

Edax
Edax

kalinka wrote:
I hate these track introduction videos with those camera switches every 2sec. You can't get a real impression on track. I don't want to see front suspension details in track intro videos...stupid thing. It's just confusing. A plain good old onboard would be much better.
You can find some real onboards on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlWfjXOM0A

But it doesn't really matter, just think Valencia/abu dhabi/Korea with a slightly different scenery pasted onto the back.

When the Houston track was delivered, I thought that Tilke was finally getting a grasp of what a good track should look like (Although If I was Spa, or Silverstone I would sew him for stealing my corners). But this is most definately a big step back. And it isn't that hard, even a couple of farmers in the middle of nowhere seem to produce better tracks than this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znjCvk8BrLk

Anyway, High speed sections heavy braking and accelleration; I think Sochi has Mercedes written all over it. Even more so than at other tracks. Second probably is going to be Red Bull. The fight behind that (Ferrari/Williams/Mclaren/Force india) could be interesting.

notsofast
notsofast

Moose wrote:
Nuvolari_the_legend wrote:Who will replace Bianchi?
My bet would be that RedBull will buy that seat, and Max Verstappen will get some practice before becoming a full TR driver next year.
Doesn't Marussia use Ferrari engines? Maybe Ferrari will buy that seat, to give Vettel some practice before becoming a full Ferrari driver next year. 8)

kalinka
kalinka

Cuky wrote:there is a video from F12014 game where you can better see how the track looks from onboard. No camera changes at all
I can't +1 you here, so thank you !

SectorOne

Edax wrote:When the Houston track was delivered, I thought that Tilke was finally getting a grasp of what a good track should look like (Although If I was Spa, or Silverstone I would sew him for stealing my corners).
Then sue Tavo Hellmund. He´s the one that put down the general track layout for that one which Tilke then had to modify to fit FIA´s safety regulations.

There´s a picture of a tissue somewhere on the internet where Tavo drew the map and all his ideas for it.
Things like an Eau Rouge at T1 but did not make the final cut. However most of his design from this tissue is more or less what you see today.

So i would not think Tilke has designed this track by himself. For starters it´s in and around massive buildings which you have to go around.

A more likely explanation is that whoever is in charge of the track layout has drew something down, given it to Tilke which then had to modify it to make sure it complies with the FIA safety regulations.

A big contrast is Atlanta Motorsports Park which Tilke is behind.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dans79

kalinka wrote:
You might like this one then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTlWfjXOM0A
197 104 103 7

Moose
Moose

The circuit looks similar to Australia. I can believe we might see some good racing here. Based on Australia's result though, probably a Merc run away victory.

Ronac
Ronac

Anybody know what side pole starts on? It's a long run down to the sharp right hander.

SectorOne

Left hand side,

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

iotar__

Cuky wrote:there is a video from F12014 game where you can better see how the track looks from onboard. No camera changes at all
Mickey mouse, turn 4 and couple of straights into chicanes. IMO nothing like Korea and not really similar to Australia. May be better than it looks. Same tyres like for Spa, no obvious choice but it seems conservative.

MercedesAMGSpy

It's better than Korea (horrible horrible track), I have no problems with S1 and S2, S3 is terrible.

kalinka
kalinka

The run from last corner to turn2 is esentially a flat-out no? It seems quite long. They should reach quite high speeds there. Turn 2 will be the real issue at the start as everybody tries to outbrake each other on cold tyres.

FW17

kalinka wrote:The run from last corner to turn2 is esentially a flat-out no? It seems quite long. They should reach quite high speeds there. Turn 2 will be the real issue at the start as everybody tries to outbrake each other on cold tyres.
Nothing special, think Valancia