Ferrari SF15-T Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Ferrari SF15-T Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:You have no proof that ...
Lorenzo, this topic isn't about proof. It's a speculation topic, as the topic title suggests. any facts we can get our hands on are more then welcome, but we don't allow people to ask proof for what is clear speculation.

Once the car is launched however, we'll switch to the real topic, where speculation is not allowed and proof needs to be given.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

mcalex wrote:Another thing - Lotus had a very good front response and overall balance and as soon as they started to mock around wheel base llength it disturbed the balance that Kimi needs and he was slower. As soon as they gave him the SWB car again he was as fast as before ...
It´s not about the long wheelbase.

At Mclaren him and Montoya had different front suspension setups, at Lotus they went through a number of power steering systems, at Ferrari in 2008 he once again had front end problems and now back at Ferrari he´s got the same issues.

He´s obviously incredibly sensitive to how the front end behaves regardless of car and year.
With that said, if Vettel and Kimi has relatively similar driving styles Ferrari will automatically build a front suspension that suits Kimi because both guys will want roughly the same thing.

If they don´t have the same driving style Ferrari will put all their eggs in Vettel´s basket and Kimi will yet again struggle with the front end.

edit: just to give you an idea,
"Kimi does not like the behavior of the car's front end at the moment. He does not like how it fits into curves, because it is not responsive enough for him. But when we try to change it, then we lose the back"
- Alan Permaine 2013, Oct 15th.
"Raikkonen added “If we sort out the front end we lose the rear"
- Kimi, 2014, June 27th.
Kimi was up to fifteenth for much of the race, running on the lead lap and taking advantage of green-flag restarts to gain position. He struggled, however, with the car's front-end handling,
- Autoblog article, 2011 (NASCAR).
“Kimi was exactly the same at McLaren. He was always super-sensitive to the front end. When we had him and [Juan Pablo] Montoya together we had about seven different front suspensions. To get the best from Kimi you need to give him the car.”
- Fry

Kimi Raikkonen not only needs a teammate with a similar style (unless the team puts all their eggs in his basket) but he´s obviously extremely high maintenance just to get some decent performance out of him.

If i was a team owner i would never in a million years sign Kimi, you just know it´s gonna be possibly years of fiddling with power steering and front suspension layouts.
Last edited by SectorOne on 27 Jan 2015, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Harsha
Harsha

After watching the nose shape of Williams and the Autosprint speculated Ferrari style i wonder which yield better gains.

FrukostScones

Harsha wrote:After watching the nose shape of Williams and the Autosprint speculated Ferrari style i wonder which yield better gains.
I suspect that the Ferrari nose actually will look much like the Williams one.
The autosprint one looks so wrong.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Harsha
Harsha

FrukostScones wrote:
Harsha wrote:After watching the nose shape of Williams and the Autosprint speculated Ferrari style i wonder which yield better gains.
I suspect that the Ferrari nose actually will look much like the Williams one.
The autosprint one looks so wrong.
I too felt the same but any ways i was exited to see the Mclaren's, Ferrari's , Mercedes and Redbull's Nose solutions

Dream Theater

Leo Turrini "What I know about SF15-T", here's the article:
http://blog.quotidiano.net/turrini/2015 ... a-sf-15-t/

Briefly, he says (I translate only the most relevant things, as the others don't really refer to the car):

- Front suspension: still pull-rod.
- The nose is different: it's a lot higher, no more "ant-bear" style or tilted forward.
- PU wise, things are going better than expected, with a cautious confidence among PU engineers.

Facts Only
Facts Only

Re: Ferrari 666 Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

gilgen wrote:
Not another person who is not up to date? ferrari DO run a split turbo. and that is 100% fact. Not quite as split as the Merc one, but still split. renault run a combined single unit. Google it and as i said earlier, there are actual photos of the ferrari unit.
Do you have a link for the actual photos of the Ferrari turbo or links to the leaked drawings? I cant find them and would like to have a look to add to my analysis and CAD model work.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

dren

Dream Theater wrote:Leo Turrini "What I know about SF15-T", here's the article:
http://blog.quotidiano.net/turrini/2015 ... a-sf-15-t/

Briefly, he says (I translate only the most relevant things, as the others don't really refer to the car):

- Front suspension: still pull-rod.
- The nose is different: it's a lot higher, no more "ant-bear" style or tilted forward.
- PU wise, things are going better than expected, with a cautious confidence among PU engineers.
I don't know how the nose could be a lot higher, maybe he means the chassis. It sounds like something more akin to the Lotus nose & chassis.

He also states that they are probably still a ways off of the Mercedes PU, if I read it correctly.
Honda!

FW17

Facts Only wrote:
gilgen wrote:
Not another person who is not up to date? ferrari DO run a split turbo. and that is 100% fact. Not quite as split as the Merc one, but still split. renault run a combined single unit. Google it and as i said earlier, there are actual photos of the ferrari unit.
Do you have a link for the actual photos of the Ferrari turbo or links to the leaked drawings? I cant find them and would like to have a look to add to my analysis and CAD model work.
I think he means last years setup

Merc - compressor, engine + MGU, Turbine

Ferrari - Engine, Compressor, MGU, Turbine

Renault - Engine + MGU, turbine, compressor

zioture
zioture

probably new nose SF15T look like large via (http://ferrari.com video)

And intake

Facts Only
Facts Only

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Facts Only wrote:
gilgen wrote:

I do mean last years but I'm after the actual pictures that people are referencing.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

FrukostScones

so GUI was really sittiing in F2015 !?

Nose tip looks a bit RB / Marussia like...?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Gianlu27

Similar to Force India

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

aral
aral

Facts Only wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:
Facts Only wrote:

I do mean last years but I'm after the actual pictures that people are referencing.
i dont know how to post links, but i just googled it and hey presto, the photos appear. i think that it is a scarbs site.

but looking at the last response., the ferrari had the same layout as merc....compressor, engine and mgu , turbine. the only difference is that the distance tbetween the mgu and turbine, was greater in the merc.

Facts Only
Facts Only

gilgen wrote:
Facts Only wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:

i dont know how to post links, but i just googled it and hey presto, the photos appear. i think that it is a scarbs site.

but looking at the last response., the ferrari had the same layout as merc....compressor, engine and mgu , turbine. the only difference is that the distance tbetween the mgu and turbine, was greater in the merc.
What exactly did you google? If you find the photo can you just copy and paste the link into the reply please.