Can Button pinch the championship?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ketanpaul

Testing times cannot be trusted. Any team can run whatever they choose, and we as spectators have no way of knowing if the car was illegal, or was just running on fumes to grab the day's news with a quick time. Personally, I pay little heed to times, I look at how many laps teams and driver have done.
And yes, Button and Honda have put in a lot of hard testing, a lot of laps. To me, that indicates the driver and team are well prepared, and most likely, competitive.
you are correct but the honda has been testing on a completely legal setup other than a few extra sensors for recording performance, temperature etc. This was made clear by davidson when i talked to him

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Thank you for that info. I was speaking generally, making no reference to anyone specific. If mr davidson says the cars were race-spec, then I have no doubt they were. Then that makes the Hondas a scary contender for the rest.

Principessa

DaveKillens wrote:Then that makes the Hondas a scary contender for the rest.
I thought they were going to be when I was writing news at the end of the 2005 season and before winter-testing...they were really confident and pre-season testing confirmed that they will perform strong this season!
I do think that Barrichello will do better than Button...I don't know why, but it seems to me that Button is searching his first victory so hard that he always messes up at the important moments! He is a good driver, but perhaps a bit too tensed to go for the victory!

RH1300S
RH1300S

Principessa wrote:He is a good driver, but perhaps a bit too tensed to go for the victory!
I feel that JB has been driving beyond the car in the past. He does not make many mistakes in a race. If you like, look at 2004; with a good car under him he was superb.....

You know, if Mclaren had tested like Honda have or indeed Renault (who have) - we would all be saying that McLaren look really strong for the championship.

The doubt lies mainly in the fact we just don't know how Honda/JB/RB will deal with a car capable of winning over a race weekend or a season......otherwise we'd be calling JB or RB a strong bet for the championship.

Scuderia_Russ

RH1300S wrote:The doubt lies mainly in the fact we just don't know how Honda/JB/RB will deal with a car capable of winning over a race weekend or a season......otherwise we'd be calling JB or RB a strong bet for the championship.
No doubt they will react to it just how Hakkinen did in '98 when McLaren finally came good... by winning and often.

Principessa

I really expect a lot from Honda this season...and I hope for Jenson that it is his lucky year this season, he deserves it (even after the offensive things he said about woman in the past :roll: )!

Renault, Honda...watch them and...I have to add Williams, because Manchild keeps whining about them :P ! No seriously....I think these 3 teams will be on top during the season...and of course McLaren once reliablitly-problems are solved! (And I hope Toyota...but Only Trulli than...I can't stand Ralf :oops: )

jgredline

You know maybe its just me, but I have Button in the same class as alesi.
Lots of talk, flamboyant, always in the press and one F1 victory.

Button will never be in the same class with Nige.
To finish first, first you must finish.

Tom

Principessa wrote

I can't stand Ralf
Join the club, hes like Michael, just even more arrogant and less successful.

Has Button had a win yet, I don't think so but i might have missed it.
He certainly deserves a few, although I have a feeling that he'll do a Brundle and never win a race, regardless of his obviouse skill.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Principessa

Tom wrote: Has Button had a win yet, I don't think so but i might have missed it.
He hasn't...so you didn't miss it :P

ketanpaul

ppl, can you even think what will happen to barrichello if button gets the championship or even clearly beats him with someone like nico rosberg between them? barrichello will be devastated and unlike ferrari, honda will pressure barrichello to perform and he will just spend the last few years of his racing career crying over his honda move. for this reason i think he would had been much better at ferrari, playing the role of good teammate and getting paid to just keep ferrari up in the constructors.

ranger
ranger

20% JB to championship... :roll:
You never know what's going to happen. - Daniel

Spencifer_Murphy

ppl, can you even think what will happen to barrichello if button gets the championship or even clearly beats him with someone like nico rosberg between them?
Barrichello is a much better driver than that. Rubens has often been restrained at Ferrari. His talent was clear to see at Stewart and even as far back as Jordan. At Ferrari he has developed into a more complete racing driver. Remember his first victory came at the German GP in 2000, at the old Hockenhiem circuit, where he qualified on 18th!

This...on a circuit which was rdesigned because it didn't promote overtaking :roll:

And remember those stellar performances he put in in 2003 to help michael, and the Chinese GP 2004...where Schu had the title wrapped up, Rubhino was allowed to shine.

Button & Barrichello...thats a strong driver pairing, and I think Rubens is just what JB needs if he wants a win. He needs to learn from someone with the sort of experience Rubens has, and judging by what I've seen so far, they are quite friendly towardsa one anothor. So if ur reading Jens, DONT miss this oppertunity to learn a thing or two from Rubens.
Last edited by Spencifer_Murphy on 14 Mar 2006, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

In a straight fight in more or less equal cars, does anyone here think Button has the beating of:

Alonso?

Schumacher (M)?

Raikkonen?

No? Thats what I thought - unless the car is a star, the fella just ain't good enough.

RH1300S
RH1300S

kilcoo316 wrote:In a straight fight in more or less equal cars, does anyone here think Button has the beating of:

Alonso?

Schumacher (M)?

Raikkonen?

No? Thats what I thought - unless the car is a star, the fella just ain't good enough.
Interesting question...........

My answer is probably not QUITE good enough, but honestly very close. In a head to head dice for a few laps, he COULD make a fight. Whole race pace - tough to beat MS or FA. Could he have done a good job holding up MS at Imola like FA did last year??? Not many people in F1 could have done that - maybe not even MS ;)

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

RH1300S wrote:Could he have done a good job holding up MS at Imola like FA did last year??? Not many people in F1 could have done that - maybe not even MS ;)
He didn't, MS passed him at variante alta when they were lapping the two BMW Williams.