Can Button pinch the championship?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RH1300S
RH1300S

kilcoo316 wrote:
RH1300S wrote:Could he have done a good job holding up MS at Imola like FA did last year??? Not many people in F1 could have done that - maybe not even MS ;)
He didn't, MS passed him at variante alta when they were lapping the two BMW Williams.
I thought Fernando held him off to the flag - am I going nuts??

Or did you think I meant Button in 2004???

vyselegend

RH1300S wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote:
RH1300S wrote:Could he have done a good job holding up MS at Imola like FA did last year??? Not many people in F1 could have done that - maybe not even MS ;)
He didn't, MS passed him at variante alta when they were lapping the two BMW Williams.
I thought Fernando held him off to the flag - am I going nuts??

Or did you think I meant Button in 2004???
I think i understand the misunderstanding between you two. At 2005 Imola race, when MS began to lap more than 1sec faster than everybody, he effectively managed to pass buton while they were lapping the williams, but then, Fernando could hold him back till the end of the race :wink:

manchild
manchild

Button made mistake while he was braking, that is why it looked that Schuey passed him easily.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Yes....it's coming back to me now....MS blew past JB like he was parked.... :twisted:

Anyway - back to original point - JB is pretty good

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

manchild wrote:Button made mistake while he was braking, that is why it looked that Schuey passed him easily.
Doesn't matter.... he crumbled like a digestive biscuit under the pressure :lol: :lol:

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

OK, in my opinion Button has a great deal to prove. I think it's way early to start talking championships... All 22 of the drivers on the track this year are fast, they are the cream of the racing set (except Sato perhaps!! - grin!!), but the differences between a fast driver and a WDC are consistency, being able to get the car set up and aggression.

Jense is fast, no doubt about that, but he doesn't put pressure on people when he has to. I'm useless at remembering precise details of races and years, but I remember Schumi all over the back of Monty in Melbourne a couple (few??) years back... great to see; every corner it was "what are you going to do now to stop me getting past?", he did it to Jenson in Imola, then there was Hakkinen in Spa and there are numerous other examples of how to win races, you have to take them, the competition is not going to give it to you. Alonso can do it too.

I was interested to see the comments about Ruby and Jense; generally I've not been a great fan of Rubens, but in Silverstone a couple of years back and Hockenheim (somewhen around 2000) when it was raining on one half of the track and coming back ad Hakikinen (who pitted for wets)... suddenly he was a different racer and looked like he wanted to win; in my view that's what Jenson lacks, I've never seen raw aggression and the will to win; that's why I don't think he can do it.

(Oh, another example, MS in Monaco taking Ruby who was cruising to the finish and nearly having his brother too.... that's a WDC, never satisfied - Jense doesn't have it in him)

Just my opinion though, happy to be proved wrong - but I think he's too nice!
Mike

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Many great champions have a killer instinct, but are able to keep the car on the track without making horrendous mistakes. They also have the ability to fend off challenges, and keep the lead. Of course, a great example of these skills was Ayrton Senna.