2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Racer X

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

Double points finally Caterham could out score Marrusia for the price money.. I'm hoping they get in the points.. Just because I think it would be funny..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Shrieker

Well if they get 10th and score two points, they'll still be behind Marussia lol. Bianchi finished the race 9th in Monaco.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Richard
Richard

Surely Marussia will forfeit their prize money so the teams below move up a place in the prize money calls?

turbof1

Richard wrote:Surely Marussia will forfeit their place so the teams below move up?
That or everything stays in place, with FOM not having to pay Marussia's place.
#AeroFrodo

CBeck113
CBeck113

Sevach wrote:I'm curious to what kind of helmet Vettel will have this weekend.
Red, what else? :mrgreen:
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

zioture
zioture

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview PIRELLI

Moose
Moose

Richard wrote:Surely Marussia will forfeit their prize money so the teams below move up a place in the prize money calls?
Bernie was saying that "nothing" would happen to Marussia's prize money if they don't appear at Yas Marina. The way I interpret that is that it would stay in CVC's bank account.

Racer X

turbof1 wrote:
Richard wrote:Surely Marussia will forfeit their place so the teams below move up?
That or everything stays in place, with FOM not having to pay Marussia's place.
There was a rumor that Bernie was mad because he rather Caterham not comepte because then they keep that money thats why im cheering for Caterham..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

I have a slight conspiracy theory going on about Toto Wolff and his wish for Nico Rosberg to win the title this year.

Over the past few races, whenever Toto has been interviewed after qualifying or the race, his mood and demeanour have been in stark contrast depending on whether it has been Nico or Lewis who has come out victorious.

Most notably, he was incredibly jubilant after qualifying at Austin, congratulating Nico on his performance, visibly brimming with happiness. Following the race, when Lewis had come out victourious, his reactions came accross in a starkly opposite way. I don't remember him smiling at all and rather than spend time congratulating Lewis on a brilliant comeback drive, he just wanted to make excuses and keep on reminding the TV crew on how Nico was much faster than Lewis in qualifying and how Lewis didn't have the pace even without brake problems. If he had no favourite, why would he care who won?

Come Brazil, of course Nico was the victor in all sessions. Toto's mood after the race was of great happiness, laughing and smiling after Nico had won, and when put to him how Lewis had more pace, Toto seemed to want to play this down and to make a point that Nico had it under control, etc.

Further to this, in the media - following Austin and ever since, there has regulary been articles released with Toto talking about the tragedy that it would be for one of the drivers to lose the title due to a technical glitch. He's also noted how he fears that the 'double-points' rule at the last race could overshadow the season. When reading into some of this, it somewhat struck me that there was at least a genuine chance that these were messages being filtered into the media to cover his back in the event of this happening. Should Lewis have a technical glitch in the last race - Toto has been on record for weeks talking about how terrible this would be, so how can any conspiracy come his way? He has been talking about it so much that it has almost become absurd.

The final nail in the coffin then comes today (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/berge ... 014-title/):
One rule of 2014 may be suspended for Abu Dhabi, Wolff admitted.

"One of our rules is that we have always wanted to finish first and second if we can," he said.

"If one of the two has fallen back, we have given him a more aggressive engine setting so that he can come back as soon as possible to position two."

Germany's Kolner Express newspaper said this is the rule that may be suspended for Abu Dhabi, so that both drivers are always at the wheel of the same engine strategy.
Isn't this ridiculous? Why suddenly ban an interteam rule solely for the last race, when it quite obviously holds only a single objective - to harm Lewis' chances of claiming the world championship. As a company Mercedes should want a 1-2, this will break the record for the number of 1-2 finishes in a season. There have been times throughout the season that both Nico and Lewis have benefitted from this rule, so why should they ban it for the last race. It's basically like saying to Lewis - if you fall behind through any means, whether it be a bad pit stop, a safety car, being unlucky, etc, we're not going to allow you to use the maximum engine setting. If this doesn't cry out as to who they're favouring then I don't know what does.

I have always liked Toto, and felt he has been pretty fair throughout the season to both drivers, but recently, I just feel something strange is going on. It could be that he simply wants Nico to win; it could be that they helped out Lewis by harming Nico following Spa and he's afraid if Nico loses the title that this will come out; it could be that he wants to upset Lewis such that he will leave and they can hire Fernando Alonso; ...it could of course all be in my head.

Let's wait and see what happens on Sunday - but if something funny goes on, be sure to keep an eye on Toto's reactions!

De Jokke

I also have the same feeling about it as you do.
Let's hope Mercedes stays neutral as they claim to be...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Jolle
Jolle

tranquility2k4 wrote:I have a slight conspiracy theory going on about Toto Wolff and his wish for Nico Rosberg to win the title this year.

Over the past few races, whenever Toto has been interviewed after qualifying or the race, his mood and demeanour have been in stark contrast depending on whether it has been Nico or Lewis who has come out victorious.

Most notably, he was incredibly jubilant after qualifying at Austin, congratulating Nico on his performance, visibly brimming with happiness. Following the race, when Lewis had come out victourious, his reactions came accross in a starkly opposite way. I don't remember him smiling at all and rather than spend time congratulating Lewis on a brilliant comeback drive, he just wanted to make excuses and keep on reminding the TV crew on how Nico was much faster than Lewis in qualifying and how Lewis didn't have the pace even without brake problems. If he had no favourite, why would he care who won?

Come Brazil, of course Nico was the victor in all sessions. Toto's mood after the race was of great happiness, laughing and smiling after Nico had won, and when put to him how Lewis had more pace, Toto seemed to want to play this down and to make a point that Nico had it under control, etc.

Further to this, in the media - following Austin and ever since, there has regulary been articles released with Toto talking about the tragedy that it would be for one of the drivers to lose the title due to a technical glitch. He's also noted how he fears that the 'double-points' rule at the last race could overshadow the season. When reading into some of this, it somewhat struck me that there was at least a genuine chance that these were messages being filtered into the media to cover his back in the event of this happening. Should Lewis have a technical glitch in the last race - Toto has been on record for weeks talking about how terrible this would be, so how can any conspiracy come his way? He has been talking about it so much that it has almost become absurd.

The final nail in the coffin then comes today (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/berge ... 014-title/):
One rule of 2014 may be suspended for Abu Dhabi, Wolff admitted.

"One of our rules is that we have always wanted to finish first and second if we can," he said.

"If one of the two has fallen back, we have given him a more aggressive engine setting so that he can come back as soon as possible to position two."

Germany's Kolner Express newspaper said this is the rule that may be suspended for Abu Dhabi, so that both drivers are always at the wheel of the same engine strategy.
Isn't this ridiculous? Why suddenly ban an interteam rule solely for the last race, when it quite obviously holds only a single objective - to harm Lewis' chances of claiming the world championship. As a company Mercedes should want a 1-2, this will break the record for the number of 1-2 finishes in a season. There have been times throughout the season that both Nico and Lewis have benefitted from this rule, so why should they ban it for the last race. It's basically like saying to Lewis - if you fall behind through any means, whether it be a bad pit stop, a safety car, being unlucky, etc, we're not going to allow you to use the maximum engine setting. If this doesn't cry out as to who they're favouring then I don't know what does.

I have always liked Toto, and felt he has been pretty fair throughout the season to both drivers, but recently, I just feel something strange is going on. It could be that he simply wants Nico to win; it could be that they helped out Lewis by harming Nico following Spa and he's afraid if Nico loses the title that this will come out; it could be that he wants to upset Lewis such that he will leave and they can hire Fernando Alonso; ...it could of course all be in my head.

Let's wait and see what happens on Sunday - but if something funny goes on, be sure to keep an eye on Toto's reactions!
Toto Wolf is a business man and he (together with Daimler) invested a lot of money in hiring Lewis to become world champion. The international value of him becoming WC is much bigger then if Nico becomes WC (at the end, it's all about the money). For marketing reasons this is a great scenario for Mercedes, they can build up to an epic battle for the WC, but Nico prob already had the call from Lauda, Mercedes bosses and maybe even Toto: Lewis is going to be WC.

Marketing wise, the difference between Lewis and Nico becoming WC, could easily be 50-100 million euro's for Mercedes. Then it isn't a real difficult.

iotar__

tranquility2k4 wrote:I have a slight conspiracy theory going on about Toto Wolff and his wish for Nico Rosberg to win the title this year.
I stopped reading at this stage but i bet this theory doesn't include Hamilton being consistently slower in qualifying, making mistakes in races and "servicing substance contamination" basically deciding the championship.

Not to mention Wolff laughing at Monza, losing win in Hungary, inexplicable overreaction after Spa and lack of reaction after Bahrain in comparison or suddenly developed worry about double points, and so and so forth.

prince
prince

iotar__ wrote:
"servicing substance contamination" basically deciding the championship.
Oh and not screwing up from behind, like in Spa?

astracrazy
astracrazy

I've always thought Toto for Nico, Nikki for Lewis. Although i think Toto has slightly moved towards Lewis post spa. I think his motivation for Nico, for a better word, is because i think its clear there isn't really anything Nico can do to win this title - its some what now Lewis' to lose. Has been since Austin. So i think they are just trying to keep him upbeat.

Has there been a call? I doubt it. Although i can imagine post-austin, when it was basically put in lewis' hands, somebody might have mentioned to him to now consider its no longer his to win but lewis' to lose. After all, i don't think Merc would want another spa giving Nico the title.

I'm not expecting anything like other title deciders this weekend. I can very much see merc playing it very steady eddy and lewis as well. I certainly don't think we will see any battles between the two. Nico will get on a do his thing and Lewis will let him. This isn't 2007-2008 Lewis, his much smarter and knows he can't win the title now, he can only lose it.

GPR-A duplicate2

Code: Select all

[quote="tranquility2k4"]I have a slight conspiracy theory going on about Toto Wolff and his wish for Nico Rosberg to win the title this year.

The final nail in the coffin then comes today (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/berger-tips-hamilton-to-win-2014-title/):

[quote]One rule of 2014 may be suspended for Abu Dhabi, Wolff admitted.

Germany's Kolner Express newspaper said this is the rule that may be suspended for Abu Dhabi, so that both drivers are always at the wheel of the same engine strategy.[/quote]

Let's wait and see what happens on Sunday - but if something funny goes on, be sure to keep an eye on Toto's reactions![/quote]
The way I understand it, the meaning of "Suspending the existing rule" means aggressive settings for both, at all times. As it stands, a Merc driver can use the aggressive settings ONLY when he is lost in mid-field and should get back to normal settings once he is behind the other Merc driver, who was continuing to be on normal (Non-aggressive) setting. Now, when both go Aggressive for the last race, the only difference is that, the leader would have pulled away more than in normal settings and situation doesn't change for the chasing guy as he continues to attack the mid-field with aggressive settings. Which means, the chasing guy would have more distance between himself and the leader than in normal settings circumstance. This situation would not handicap lewis in Abu dhabi, even if he battles mid field and then comes to 2nd. This would be more problematic for Nico if he gets in the mix of mid-field. Lewis would have vanished in the front with those aggressive settings, creating more gap to Nico who with same aggressive settings has to battle the field as usual, but has to win the race to be in contention, which would be much more difficult task as the lewis would have pulled more gap.