Mclaren MP4-29H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CptPeanut
CptPeanut

Re: Mclaren MP4-29H

mikeerfol wrote:
Blackout wrote:The only information I need is wether Mclaren has already built a new gearbox for this test car or not... if no, that means the Honda Pu has a Merc split turbo design and has atleast the same dimensions as the Merc.
BTW, it's me or the rear top wishbones look different? anyway they look as big as any other Merc engined car rear wishbones...
I believe I read somewhere that the transmission was different but I can't find it now..
I'm sure I heard that the 2015 regs have changes to how the rear suspension attaches to the box (and possibly have to go through it) so the box will be different.

mclaren111

The area below the Airbox Intake up to where Honda is written looks a lot flatter than where the current Mercedes-Benz is written.

Waffle
Waffle

mclaren111 wrote:The area below the Airbox Intake up to where Honda is written looks a lot flatter than where the current Mercedes-Benz is written.
The comparison photo posted by Hobbs04 on the previous page is very useful. The car looks externally identical to me. I don't think they'd bother changing anything unnecessarily - why go to that expense?

The radiators on the '29 are wrapped around the engine, so changing the shape of the sidepods depends on changing the shape of the radiators. There's no particular reason to do that if the engine has the same or lower cooling requirements (as it appears to have).

mclaren111

I still think they are different :D

McMrocks
McMrocks

I don't.

It's the sun that tricks your eyes. The Merc-Benz is in shadow.

xpensive
xpensive

turbof1 wrote: ... wanna know how he feels when he hears that the team didn't try out some new aero solutions and gathered data from it?
OK member turboman; Trying out new aero solutions at a slow speed filming run, you are kidding, right?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

turbof1

xpensive wrote:
turbof1 wrote: ... wanna know how he feels when he hears that the team didn't try out some new aero solutions and gathered data from it?
OK member turboman; Trying out new aero solutions at a slow speed filming run, you are kidding, right?
You have sensors for aero loads. It reads the load at any given speed. Slow speed is btw an excageration; you'll still be able to get relevant speeds.

Even if they didn't put on new updates, they'll gather aero data and will try to use it. Show tyres or not.
#AeroFrodo

xpensive
xpensive

Any which way but lose, right? :wink:

This was a chance to give the Honda a systems check, I think Ron would have been upset if they started to tinker with other stuff.

I know that I would

dieguezzz
dieguezzz

What is the chance of them running an assymmetric rear end? it seems like the rear cooling outlet is cut out on the left side of the car.

Simply thinking about it this feels good, because you could run "two" different aero setups at the same time, litterally doubling the test efficiency.

We should have more "filming days" allowed through the year :)

aral
aral

dieguezzz wrote: it seems like the rear cooling outlet is cut out on the left side of the car.
Sigh! Camera angle!

nacho
nacho

On the are where different planes meet on the side pod, below the engine logos, there might be a slight difference. I would imagine they have had to make another engine cover as theres so much stuff going underneath.

turbof1

xpensive wrote:Any which way but lose, right? :wink:

This was a chance to give the Honda a systems check, I think Ron would have been upset if they started to tinker with other stuff.

I know that I would
You still have to prove in what way, for instance, a new wing would tinker with the PU. Slap something on with a ton of drag and/or ton of downforce. You will still be able to read engine performance just fine and accurately. Ron would smash heads for not doing 2 things at the same time that can be done at the same time :P.
#AeroFrodo

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

so...Does anybody have or did anybody make an AUDIO recording of the Honda powerplant? would be extreeeeemely interested to hear this engine run, and compare it to their computer sound presentations to see how it compares and how it compares to other engine sounds.

it's been 2 days now, surely there must be some sound recording?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

xpensive
xpensive

turbof1 wrote: ...
You still have to prove in what way, for instance, a new wing would tinker with the PU.
Look turboman, I cannot prove that Santa doesn't exist, but it's my xperience that you should always focus on the task at hand,
rather than fool around with this and that and getting nothing done properly. But again, that's just meme.

SiLo

They won't have changed anything on the car bar the PU. That way any info they do get is a direct comparison to whatever previous spec of car they were running.

Most likely they wanted to make sure the thing didn't run too hot, and to make sure nothing else fell off or broke.
Felipe Baby!