MotoGP 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: MotoGP 2015

SectorOne wrote:Flow conditioners or downforce generators? or both?

http://photos.motogp.com/2015/03/27/iann.big.jpg
Both imo, but the jury is out on how the downforce seems to be working.

The talk is that it doesn't help on corner entry, rather it helps coming out of the corner i.e. more downforced = less wheelie's = less anti-wheelie interference = fast acceleration out of corner.

I'm not sure I agree that it wouldn't also help with corner entry - I would suspect it also has some benefit on entry as well. But I'm not well versed on this things.
tanmay324 wrote:The ducatis look very fast over a lap, especially with the softer tires. Will be interesting to see how many laps they can stay ahead of the factory boys in the race.
I still think MM93 will take the championship. Unless the Yamahas solve their problem with the 2014-2015 tires and/or Dani finally finds some groove.
Race pace is also good, FP runs they have been high up. My only prediction this year is that Marc won't have it all his own way.
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 28 Mar 2015, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

In another note, BTSPORT commentators love to talk up the British riders.

Both riders have the pace, Smith especially (at least imo) seems to be able to dig his heels in a dig out one crazy balls to the wall kind of lap.

But both rider chuck their bike away. And Crutchlow must be kicking himself now that he sees Ducati doing much better - it's his own fault.

MadMatt
MadMatt

They've used these before. In 2011:

MadMatt
MadMatt

350km/h at the end of the straight for the MotoGP machines. Mental!

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

MadMatt wrote:350km/h at the end of the straight for the MotoGP machines. Mental!
Yes it is crazy, and they are fuel restricted too, so potentially higher speeds possible!

Good race. I thought Val was menacing yesterday, qualified 8th but was smiling... a few people were thinking something was up. Turns out he was working on race pace the whole weekend, and it was good :mrgreen:
Last edited by JimClarkFan on 29 Mar 2015, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

JimClarkFan wrote:
MadMatt wrote:350km/h at the end of the straight for the MotoGP machines. Mental!
Yes it is crazy, and they are fuel restricted too!
That's though the traps. Actual top speed was 355+ I think.

bdr529

Good weekend for racing 4 wheels and now on 2 wheels

tanmay324
tanmay324

Juzh wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:
I think I saw 356 for Dovi with a tow. That Ducati has got legs. Yamahas even in the tow couldn't keep up on the straight. But that said it is one of the longest straights of the season.
Now Ducati has one 2nd and a 3rd. Last season I think they got two podiums as well. So do they get their extra fuel taken away? Or they will count the podiums of this season only?
In all a great weekend.

mikeerfol

Juzh wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:
Yeah when it went onboard with Lorenzo behind Dovizioso the Ducati went up to 357 or something, crazy speed!

kooleracer
kooleracer

Ducati can use 2 or 4 liters more fuel so maybe that explains the topspeed advantage.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

kooleracer wrote:Ducati can use 2 or 4 liters more fuel so maybe that explains the topspeed advantage.
Perhaps, but Ducati have supposedly told the pundits that when the extra fuel gets removed from them it won't have much of an impact on their performance.

Whether or not that is true when the fuel is actually removed is another matter.

Jolle
Jolle

JimClarkFan wrote:
kooleracer wrote:Ducati can use 2 or 4 liters more fuel so maybe that explains the topspeed advantage.
Perhaps, but Ducati have supposedly told the pundits that when the extra fuel gets removed from them it won't have much of an impact on their performance.

Whether or not that is true when the fuel is actually removed is another matter.
This is for me one of the most interesting developments of MotoGP, the way they do fuel management. Lots of interesting systems saving fuel almost combined with TC and lean angles, all automated. For instance, when you're on a 50 degree lean angle, you only have, lets say, 50 HP, getting upright, you have 150 HP if you're under 100 km/h, etc etc. Beautiful systems! I guess that Honda is also bringing this knowledge into F1 trough McLaren

tanmay324
tanmay324

Jolle wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:

This is for me one of the most interesting developments of MotoGP, the way they do fuel management. Lots of interesting systems saving fuel almost combined with TC and lean angles, all automated. For instance, when you're on a 50 degree lean angle, you only have, lets say, 50 HP, getting upright, you have 150 HP if you're under 100 km/h, etc etc. Beautiful systems! I guess that Honda is also bringing this knowledge into F1 trough McLaren
It puts everything in hands of the software team. This is why the factories are reluctant to let their own software go in favour of spec ecu and software.
But that said it will make It more fun to watch. Stoner left saying it has become too technical and boring. Rossi has said he will prefer racing without the nanny systems. Remember the 500cc days? Sliding and wheelies at every corner. Wonder how many of current guys will actually be this much competitive on those. *wishful thinking*

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

It seems dani's motogp career may be over. His forearm pump has gotten worse not better, and he says it is affecting how he rides. I actually don't think it is an excuse, I believe him because I have seen him several times grasping at his forearm when he dismounts.

So the question is who replaces him if the seat at HRC becomes available?

mikeerfol

JimClarkFan wrote:It seems dani's motogp career may be over. His forearm pump has gotten worse not better, and he says it is affecting how he rides. I actually don't think it is an excuse, I believe him because I have seen him several times grasping at his forearm when he dismounts.

So the question is who replaces him if the seat at HRC becomes available?
Apparently Aoyama who is the test rider, Stoner insists he doesn't want to return.. :(