Negativity and Haterism trend....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mertol

Re: Negativity and Haterism trend....

SectorOne wrote:Well in terms of pure racing it´s the best season of the last 10-15 years, no recent year even comes close to the amount of on-track battles we´ve had this year.

I say this formula of lots of horsepower, less DF and some semi-good tires seems to provide excellent amount of battles.
With a small wish that all the engines gets a bit closer things will just get even better in this department.
You call that track battles?! Anything DRS assisted cannot be called a battle. So any other pre-DRS season had more track battles.

turbof1

Concerning on what is happening on the track, it has been a great year. We've had a lot of joy and drama on there, the rollercoaster of emotions fans are expecting from F1. The only thing that went too far on that was Bianchi's tragic accident. However still a great year, with altruition playing a big role.

I follow Manoah in the assertion that we often complain too much. Yes for instance the sound could be better, but honestly who of us has seen a race at the track personally? Not so many, and from the ones who did I got to hear that it still was very enjoyable. This indicates that the mic's on track filter out too much noise.

Politic's wise it hasn't been great, but hey a little crisis to get everyone awake isn't the end of the world either.
#AeroFrodo

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

On track we have had one of the most tedious dominations in F1 history, as well as the double points, off track we have lost a future F1 champion and at least 2 teams.

A year F1 will swiftly try to forget.

will_bmx
will_bmx

I actually came on here because I was feeling a bit deflated with F1 at the moment and wondered whether to have my "vent" about it. Then I found this thread!
The on track action has been really good this year, and the general racing has been good. "so why are you deflated"? one might ask. Well, because it all feels artificial and by no way aimed at the proper racing fans, it's aimed at fat nobody Joe Bloggs who wants to be entertained whilst eating his fifth meal on Sunday afternoon.
I just feel like it's a complete commercial entity that's losing (not completely lost) it's original passion and love of racing.
Full tanks that mean the drivers have to nurse the cars for ages, tyres that, although a LOT better than last year, are still manufactured to go off, rather than be the best balance of grip and longevity (bridgestone vs Michelin?) which all adds up to drivers not driving at 100%. Yeah I know that's part of racing and they have always had periods in racing (whether the race itself or the era) but not to this extent. Maybe I'm just spoilt whenever I watch the V8SC and cream at the fact the leaders are always nose to tail which is the benefit of a spec series, but it's just like the old (well, my old late 90's) F1 era whereby they refuel, change tyres, slightly manage the tyres (not drive off the limit all the time) and push for qualy laps quite often. It's beautiful to watch. Maybe I just need to only watch V8SC actually and stop moaning...
I just hate the fact it feels fake and artificial. It's almost insulting to full on racing enthusiasts. There comes a point where the apparent greed of the commercial side is completely outweighing the original product and idea, in this case the racing.
Listening to myself write this though I just sound miserable. haha.

Ciro Pabón

Well, this is new. A thread complaining about complains.

1) "Our country is one of the main producers of...?"
2) "Pesimists"
3) "I got an F- in Sincerity!!!"

Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 20 Nov 2014, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

Jonnycraig wrote:On track we have had one of the most tedious dominations in F1 history, as well as the double points, off track we have lost a future F1 champion and at least 2 teams.

I hate this nonsense. Yeah, I get that Red Bull and Ferrari merchendice is expensive but really, double points don't matter for first and second in the WCC and for first through third for the WDC. Also, once the MP4/4 stops being the darling car of F1 you can bemoan about the W05.

Plus, losing a driver is going to cause this season to be forgotten? Never mind the fact that cars win championships, not drivers. Chilton and Ericsson would be fighting for the title this year if they were in the Mercedes.

mertol

The deal with mp4/4 is so different than w05. They didn't have their everything frozen so other teams had the opportunity to catch up for example.

SectorOne

mertol wrote:You call that track battles?! Anything DRS assisted cannot be called a battle. So any other pre-DRS season had more track battles.
Yes i do, whether DRS is part of it or not is completely irrelevant to whether a wheel to wheel battle occurred or not.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

ParkerArt wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:On track we have had one of the most tedious dominations in F1 history, as well as the double points, off track we have lost a future F1 champion and at least 2 teams.

I hate this nonsense. Yeah, I get that Red Bull and Ferrari merchendice is expensive but really, double points don't matter for first and second in the WCC and for first through third for the WDC. Also, once the MP4/4 stops being the darling car of F1 you can bemoan about the W05.

Plus, losing a driver is going to cause this season to be forgotten? Never mind the fact that cars win championships, not drivers. Chilton and Ericsson would be fighting for the title this year if they were in the Mercedes.
I feel actually blessed that the championship is going into the last round. 1 team dominating the whole deal often meant a boring season since often one driver is much better then the other. Not so in this case: Rosberg often outqualified Hamilton, forcing Hamilton to overtake during the race. We've had that kind of tension in Monaco, Canada, Austria, Italy, Japan, USA and Brazil. Then we had Spain and Bahrain with even more tension. Can you recall a season that was that close race by race between 2 drivers of a dominating team? You'll have to go back to the dominating days of Mclaren with Prost and Senna.

Of course I would have enjoyed more drivers up there, but there isn't really much to complain. You have 2 drivers fighting it out in the ivory top of the tower and a whole bunch of cars rumbling it out further down.
#AeroFrodo

mertol

SectorOne wrote:
mertol wrote:You call that track battles?! Anything DRS assisted cannot be called a battle. So any other pre-DRS season had more track battles.
Yes i do, whether DRS is part of it or not is completely irrelevant to whether a wheel to wheel battle occurred or not.
Whether the referee held one of the boxers down or not is completely irrelevant to whether a fist to face battle occured or not.

WaikeCU

Technology. That's the cause of what's happening throughout the years. Compare F1 these days with the ones 10-20-30 years ago, F1 (and cars generally) used to look less complex. Technology have moved us to a point in which we can engineer and develop ideas and construction who were too complex, expensive to realize 10-20 years ago. If consumers can 3D print something nowadays, imagine the advanced capabilities of F1 teams. I admit cars in the past look less complex and smoother than F1 today. The attention to detail these days are incredible. Gurneys, flaps, edges, leadings, holes, etc. you name it. These extra's have become far more detailed year after year and that's not going to change if you want to win.

2013:

2014:

The technology in F1 is one of the things that makes the sport very attractive to watch. Turbocharged V6's with ERS sounded impossible, yet they still have shown us that it can be done. Cars have gone on a diet throughout the years. Packaging of a F1 car looks so much more neat and compact.

2005:

2014:

People might complain how boring the cars sound or ugly they look. For me it's part of F1, the evolution race. I only hate when there's no competition. It means, other teams haven't done their job properly. I do however admire the single team that keeps dominating, because it means they have really done something special by setting the pace, which only can be beaten by themselves during the season. This season we saw that more than often, luckily we have a team that let's their drivers race to an extent, unlike some teams who only serve one of their drivers.

F1 is maybe a masterpiece for technology, but F1 isn't faultless. To me the business itself remains troublesome, because it looks outdated and needs to be revised.

hollus

mertol wrote:... Anything DRS assisted cannot be called a battle. So any other pre-DRS season had more track battles.
Pre DRS seasons had a subset of tracks where passing was doable but difficult (which was great to watch) and a subset of tracks where passing was impossible and was only done in the pit stops. There were plenty of processions.
Now with DRS the you-might-just-manage-to-pass tracks have become stupidly easy (for overtakings, which ruined those in a way) while the you-cannot-pass-no-matter-what tracks have become tracks where you might just be able to pass. Ricciardo passing alonso in Hungary with 3 laps to go would have been an instant classic if it had involved the 1st and second placed drivers in the championship.

Interestingly, tracks where it is easy to pass lead to the faster cars sorting themselves up to the front by race end, something that a) is what is supposed to happen and b) is exactly what happens in every MotoGP race ever, and that is cosidered one of the purest form of motorsports today.

As an end note, I find it interesting that one of the things that makes soccer great is that there is no guarantte that the overwhelmingly better team won't get bogged down and not win in any given game. Yes, that had been removed by DRS.

End-end note, again: Imagine, just imagine, that the two Mercedes cars had been exactly 1 second per lap slower, maybe just half a second. Just actually recall this season in that scenario!
Rivals, not enemies.

mertol

Imagine some of the old seasons from the golden era but with DRS used by everyone then answer honestly would it be an improvement or not.

turbof1

mertol wrote:Imagine some of the old seasons from the golden era but with DRS used by everyone then answer honestly would it be an improvement or not.
Imagine the old seasons with the same wake the current cars produce.

DRS is artifical and isn't a perfect solution, but cars nowadays just loose too much downforce when following an other car. Let's not turn this into a DRS polemic, that should be reserved for a different topic.
#AeroFrodo

mertol

It's not just DRS. Can you think of something about F1 that is not artificial? Artificial saving of fuel, artificial saving of tires, artificial last round resolving of the title, artificial high participation in qualifying. The high number of negative threads is because for years every change in F1 rules has been in negative direction.