Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

Have some of you never worked a multi variable equation? Of course there's going to be a well defined optimum. Is Merc closer? Probably. That's all anyone has said.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

You're still thinking of the viewpoint where it's a straightline to 100% optimum for all engine designs. It's not. Not every single one can follow that line all the way to the top.

langwadt
langwadt

Pierce89 wrote:Have some of you never worked a multi variable equation? Of course there's going to be a well defined optimum. Is Merc closer? Probably. That's all anyone has said.
the solution could a have more than one peak

lio007

According to an LaGazetta-interview with Toto Wolff:
https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle/status/ ... 8387438592

De Jokke

Wolff “#Hamilton renewal? We will discuss it during the year but I’m optimistic, #Alonso is the first alternative,then #Bottas”

Wolff “We are in line with the programs,with our 2015 car,and we have a clear idea of where we are in terms of chassis and engine”

#Wolff “The #W06 will be on track on mid-Juanary when we planned to have a test in Silverstone”

#Wolff “I do not rule out the chance to unveil the new car at Jerez during the first day of testing ”

Wolff “#Bottas in #Ferrari? In Maranello don’t have many options when #Raikkonen contrct will expire. There aren’t foreclosures to the fact that #Bottas future is out of #Mercedes"

Wolff ”Alonso at #McLaren? He’s dangerous with any car. If he have a car that can arrive 6th, he can takes it in 3rd place”

Wolff “#Vettel brings 4 world titles, enthusiasm and experience. Will be an incredible stimulus for the poeple in #Ferrari"

Wolff “The most dangerous opponent in 2015 will be Williams, but I am afraid of Red Bull too, they won four titles in a row and fielding every resource to return to fight for the title”

Source: http://lorenzodl83.tumblr.com/post/1066 ... discuss-it
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Pierce89

langwadt wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Have some of you never worked a multi variable equation? Of course there's going to be a well defined optimum. Is Merc closer? Probably. That's all anyone has said.
the solution could a have more than one peak
Yes but generally I think the super tight regs rule out most of the peaks. I also said Merc is PROBABLY closer but hell who knows? Maybe by 2020 the slit turbo will seem stupid.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

trinidefender
trinidefender

TAG wrote:
trinidefender wrote:you would know that cooler air does not mean more power. All cooler air means is higher density and more resistance to knocking. As long as there is enough air to burn the fuel which is limited this year and it is cool enough that the engine runs stable then making the air cooler isn't actually helping.

Point No.2, moving the compressor away from the turbine actually doesn't do to much for the temperature of the airflow. All it does is really put the ERS close to the turbine which was a big gamble for Mercedes in terms of if the ERS unit can handle it.

You're stating things as facts without looking at the big picture. Allow me to enlighten you a bit on the associated benefits. On your point 1, cooler air doesn't mean more power but it does mean cooler air which is a supreme importance when you have to then run that compressed air through an intercooler to cool it further. So having the air cooler in the first place even if it's only marginally so means having to cool it less which translates to smaller intakes and less drag, by you calculations then, imagine the difference of having a 3% smaller sidepod opening. So that's a big advantage to Mercedes.

On your point 2, you're greatly oversimplifying things. Moving the compressor forward, has a huge add on effect. it requires shorter and less ducting to get the compressed air to the front of the car where the intakes are. Again allowing for a more compact, more aero-friendly packaging of the back end, greatly helping to maximize rear grip which was so important this year due to the smaller rear wings and loss of the blown diffuser.

You're welcome! :P
Thank you for arguing against I point I actually never made. Considering the only point I made in my first paragraph was that cooler air does not equal more power in this engine formula I don't see why you came with probably true but still irrelevant points of packaging and cooling advantages. I got annoyed by the simplistic view that more cooler air always equals more power and that is what I addressed. We have a term for that where I live it is called being "out of timing" (said in a heavy sing song "Trinidadian" accent) which basically means saying things that have no relevance to the conversation.

The engine air intake is above the drivers head. For turbulence control etc of airflow going through the air intake, having the compressor at the back of the engine where the air intake has a gentle curve downward is probably a better solution than having it in front of the engine where the airflow has to take a sharp 90 degree turn downward from the roll-hoop intake then do another 90 degree sharp turn to go into the compressor. For your information turbulence control is crucial to compressor performance so adding in these twists and turns before the compressor intake probably actually reduces the compressor efficiency by a few percent.

Point 3. Let me refer you to something I said earlier. Moving the compressor away from the turbine means you move the MGU-H closer to the turbine. Electronics hate heat and become less efficient when they get hot. So either way you may have to cool the airflow slightly less but now you have to go and spend more energy cooling the MGU-H which is now absorbing much more heat.

Point 4.. Just remember that by moving the MGU-H into the centre of the engine's V you then have to move the intake manifold upwards so it can fit on top of it. Remember if you move something to a different part of the engine then whatever was there originally has to be moved and take up space somewhere else.

To sim it all up I made a point, please at least argue against that point and not something I didn't even talk about. 2. I'm not saying that running a spilt turbo design with the MGU-H in the centre isn't a better design in some aspects, I am saying that it isn't the "holy grail" of the all conquering Mercedes engine that some make it out to be.

TAG

You made a point, yes... a myopic point that it is clearly irrelevant in the macro environment given the results the Mercedes PU put up. Which was the sole reason for my correcting your choice to focus on the detail without acknowledging the consequences to the overall package. Everything in an F1 car is a compromise is some way shape or form.
Last edited by TAG on 01 Jan 2015, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

elf341
elf341

IMO, the greatest positive sign for this car is that it has effectively followed the same development glide scope as the W05. Being that Geoff Willis started work on it in early 2013, and it was handed over to Aldo Costa in early 2014, and that there would have been Brawn-Bell influence early in its development.

I'm reserving judgement for whether Paddy Lowe can fill the shoes of Brawn-Bell. My main worry is Lowe's appetite to approve research projects and directions which are very close to the line (or even over it) of rules legality. I don't know how controversial this view is, but I do believe that most championship winning cars have in some way, big or small, broken the rules - at the very least the spirit of the rules, but in some other cases the letter too. (the trick is obviously not getting caught)

trinidefender
trinidefender

TAG wrote:You made a point, yes... a myopic point that it is clearly irrelevant in the macro environment given the results the Mercedes PU put up. Which was the sole reason for my correcting your choice to focus on the detail without acknowledging the consequences to the overall package. Everything in an F1 car is a compromise is some way shape or form.
For the last time i was never making a point about the Mercedes engine as a whole. All I was doing is making a reply to a point that somebody else made in a previous post. They stated that cooler air makes more power. I simply stated that cooler air does not equal more power in this engine formula and explained why. Why is that so hard to understand?

In fact my point has very little to do with the Mercedes engine and more about the current engine formula as a whole.

P.s. I wasn't the one that down voted you.

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:

Thank you for arguing against I point I actually never made. Considering the only point I made in my first paragraph was that cooler air does not equal more power in this engine formula I don't see why you came with probably true but still irrelevant points of packaging and cooling advantages. I got annoyed by the simplistic view that more cooler air always equals more power and that is what I addressed. We have a term for that where I live it is called being "out of timing" (said in a heavy sing song "Trinidadian" accent) which basically means saying things that have no relevance to the conversation.

The engine air intake is above the drivers head. For turbulence control etc of airflow going through the air intake, having the compressor at the back of the engine where the air intake has a gentle curve downward is probably a better solution than having it in front of the engine where the airflow has to take a sharp 90 degree turn downward from the roll-hoop intake then do another 90 degree sharp turn to go into the compressor. For your information turbulence control is crucial to compressor performance so adding in these twists and turns before the compressor intake probably actually reduces the compressor efficiency by a few percent.

Point 3. Let me refer you to something I said earlier. Moving the compressor away from the turbine means you move the MGU-H closer to the turbine. Electronics hate heat and become less efficient when they get hot. So either way you may have to cool the airflow slightly less but now you have to go and spend more energy cooling the MGU-H which is now absorbing much more heat.

Point 4.. Just remember that by moving the MGU-H into the centre of the engine's V you then have to move the intake manifold upwards so it can fit on top of it. Remember if you move something to a different part of the engine then whatever was there originally has to be moved and take up space somewhere else.

To sim it all up I made a point, please at least argue against that point and not something I didn't even talk about. 2. I'm not saying that running a spilt turbo design with the MGU-H in the centre isn't a better design in some aspects, I am saying that it isn't the "holy grail" of the all conquering Mercedes engine that some make it out to be.

You are wrong in thinking that colder air does not mean more power. The IC engine works by compressing air. If the air is hotter it takes more energy to compress it. There is also more irrevesibilites within the air when it is hotter. So you instantly lose efficiency right there without our arguement going into combustion.

You are also wrong in believeing that moving the compressor away from the turbine will mean the MGUH has to be closer to the turbine. That is just a baseless assumption. By logical engineering reasoning the MUGH would infact be posisitioned closer to the compressor to reducing the heat, bearing support, balance and packaging issues that would arrise by having it right beside the turbine. Just saying that the MGUH is more likley to closer to the compressor in the split turbine system, with the main bearing cartridge, which would be designed quite robustly and lengthy, closer to the turbine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

trinidefender wrote:
TAG wrote:
trinidefender wrote:you would know that cooler air does not mean more power. All cooler air means is higher density and more resistance to knocking. As long as there is enough air to burn the fuel which is limited this year and it is cool enough that the engine runs stable then making the air cooler isn't actually helping.

Point No.2, moving the compressor away from the turbine actually doesn't do to much for the temperature of the airflow. All it does is really put the ERS close to the turbine which was a big gamble for Mercedes in terms of if the ERS unit can handle it.

You're stating things as facts without looking at the big picture. Allow me to enlighten you a bit on the associated benefits. On your point 1, cooler air doesn't mean more power but it does mean cooler air which is a supreme importance when you have to then run that compressed air through an intercooler to cool it further. So having the air cooler in the first place even if it's only marginally so means having to cool it less which translates to smaller intakes and less drag, by you calculations then, imagine the difference of having a 3% smaller sidepod opening. So that's a big advantage to Mercedes.

On your point 2, you're greatly oversimplifying things. Moving the compressor forward, has a huge add on effect. it requires shorter and less ducting to get the compressed air to the front of the car where the intakes are. Again allowing for a more compact, more aero-friendly packaging of the back end, greatly helping to maximize rear grip which was so important this year due to the smaller rear wings and loss of the blown diffuser.

You're welcome! :P

1-The engine air intake is above the drivers head. For turbulence control etc of airflow going through the air intake, having the compressor at the back of the engine where the air intake has a gentle curve downward is probably a better solution than having it in front of the engine where the airflow has to take a sharp 90 degree turn downward from the roll-hoop intake then do another 90 degree sharp turn to go into the compressor. For your information turbulence control is crucial to compressor performance so adding in these twists and turns before the compressor intake probably actually reduces the compressor efficiency by a few percent.

2-Point 3. Let me refer you to something I said earlier. Moving the compressor away from the turbine means you move the MGU-H closer to the turbine. Electronics hate heat and become less efficient when they get hot. So either way you may have to cool the airflow slightly less but now you have to go and spend more energy cooling the MGU-H which is now absorbing much more heat.

3-Point 4.. Just remember that by moving the MGU-H into the centre of the engine's V you then have to move the intake manifold upwards so it can fit on top of it. Remember if you move something to a different part of the engine then whatever was there originally has to be moved and take up space somewhere else.

1-Judging their performances, it seems Mercedes has found very good solutions to resolve that 'problem'
2-it's the same for everybody even if we assume you're right about the H/turbine problem: the Renault MGUH is also very close to the turbine in this case and the Ferrari H is even stuck between the turbine and the compressor.
3-it's the same for everybody, again. The Ferrari has the intercooler and the compressor piping in the V. The Renault has an MGHU just like the Mercedes...

IMO, the Merc layout IS 'the holy grail', atleast from a chassis point of view. Coupled with the other clever solutions that Mercedes has adopted, it brigs so many benefits on the chassis in many areas. It triggers a snowball effect that helps the car to be lighter, well balanced, stiffer and generate less drag/more DF etc.
The advantages are more numerous and valuable than its disadvantages.

ME4ME

IMO, the Merc layout IS 'the holy grail', atleast from a chassis point of view
In about a month's time, Mercedes themselves will prove you wrong by introducing an updated version of their powerunit. There are always things to improve.

trinidefender
trinidefender

PlatinumZealot wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

You are wrong in thinking that colder air does not mean more power. The IC engine works by compressing air. If the air is hotter it takes more energy to compress it. There is also more irrevesibilites within the air when it is hotter. So you instantly lose efficiency right there without our arguement going into combustion.

You are also wrong in believeing that moving the compressor away from the turbine will mean the MGUH has to be closer to the turbine. That is just a baseless assumption. By logical engineering reasoning the MUGH would infact be posisitioned closer to the compressor to reducing the heat, bearing support, balance and packaging issues that would arrise by having it right beside the turbine. Just saying that the MGUH is more likley to closer to the compressor in the split turbine system, with the main bearing cartridge, which would be designed quite robustly and lengthy, closer to the turbine.
Oh my ****. Here is the original quote. "providing cooler (higher oxygen density) air and therefore producing more power." All I said was that cooler air going into the combustion chamber does not equal more power because of the restricted fuel flow regulations. Why is that so hard to understand? PlatinumZealot go back and read my post from before and you will see. Cooler (more dense) air will only make more power if you can pump in more fuel with it which you can't with this formula.

turbof1

I think what trinidefender says is basically right.

In an ideal world you want to have a stochiometric combustion. That is you want for a given fuel volume you want to have the exact correspondence volume of air in the cylinder to have a full combustion process, where all the carbon, hydrogen and sulphur is taken into the reaction. No molecule stays unburned.
(In real life this is not really achievable and has dangers since if by environmental factors the fuels stays unburned, it'll damage your engine and/or exhaust. For these reasons, an engine will pump more air into the cylinder then needed for a stochiometric combustion to ensure all of the fuel gets burned off).
Normally the total amount of air and fuel volumes in a stochiometric combustion is limited to the cylinder. What a turbo does is compress the air, having more air molecules per cc. This makes that more space is freed up in the cylinder, allowing addtional air AND fuel molecules in the cylinder.

However, F1 has a fuel flow limit in place of 100kg/h. You aren't allowed to burn off more fuel then that. Limited in fuel means your optimal stochiometric combustion can't rise anymore beyond a certain level, so you have to maintain that level. That is being done either by a lower rpm, or simply not going beyond a certain volume of fuel volume inside the cylinder. Both will cap off any potentional increase in power.

In the current engine formula, having more dense air due a more efficient turbo or whatever, will probably, if part of the allowed tokens, result in smaller cylinders.
#AeroFrodo