Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

Really people, are we nitpicking on such things? That comes pretty close to trolling. I think it's very clear from the context trinidefender was talking about the engine power itself and not the overall car performance.

Discussing the bigger picture is fine, forcing the bigger picture down someone's throat who only was discussing a part of the picture is a bridge too far.
#AeroFrodo

Mesteño

According to AMuS, 50 hp gained by Mercedes for next year. Next year car is going to be a beast.

Richard
Richard

Mesteño wrote:According to AMuS, 50 hp gained by Mercedes for next year. Next year car is going to be a beast.
Who'd have expected that - the German press says the de facto German national team is the best?

All teams and engine manufacturers will say next year's car is better than this year. After all none of us would launch an update for whatever we do in our day jobs which is knowingly worse that the thing we're replacing?

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Trini. I udnerstand all of that. I am saying to you that even with the same fuel injected you will make more horsepower at the crankshaft with cooler air. Have you never driven a car at night? Even for street car the power increase is instantly noticeable - and yes the volume flow of fuel is being injected.
When you drive a car on a cold day and it feels more powerful that is because your mass airflow sensor knows that the air is more dense and therefore the ecu knows it can pump more fuel into the combustion chamber and maintain its maximum power fuel to air ratio. Ergo mor power. With this engine formula there is limited fuel. That means that even if the air is cooler than usual the ecu cannot inject more fuel because of the fuel flow limitations. Fuel will always be the limiting factor. Once you surpass the physical mass of air required to get the most power from the set max fuel flow rate then all excess airflow will not increase power.
Do you automatically drive faster at night because your engine feels more powerful?! No. You drive at the same speed you normally go. Does your engine pump in more fuel at night? No. The engine only pumps in fuel as you demand more power. In actuality, at night your car will use LESS air volume flow and LESS pumping losses and hence less fuel to give you the same power.

Trini, it is an undeniable fact that colder air makes engines more powerful even with the same fuel usage. Engines come with altitude and temperature tables for derating/up rating. Colder air reduces losses in the engine because it is easier to compress. Trini there is no point in arguing this. This is text book information. Basic Thermodynamics.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

XRayF1
XRayF1

Richard wrote:
Mesteño wrote:According to AMuS, 50 hp gained by Mercedes for next year. Next year car is going to be a beast.
Who'd have expected that - the German press says the de facto German national team is the best?

All teams and engine manufacturers will say next year's car is better than this year. After all none of us would launch an update for whatever we do in our day jobs which is knowingly worse that the thing we're replacing?
I believe the point here being that there is little to gain, if untrue ... but also little to gain if not.
Truth is the W05 would still be a serious title contender if allowed as is in 2015 all by itself.
No need to bluster for anyone having this inside knowledge, if it were true.

In my opinion, also the Merc PU will be upgraded - but the main question is how much the others will catch up.
The answer to this question will decide everything.

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
TAG wrote:The discussion that keeps on giving. I think the reason is because we're talking about two sides of the coin. I agree, there is no "gain" in being able to make more power simply because of cooler air. Trini is correct in that. I've mentioned to him however (not an irrelevant response) that there is peripheral gains made because of having that cooler air.

1) smaller cooling ducts
2) smaller intercoolers
3) shorter ducting to duct the air to the compressor.

and a fourth and fifth advantage that I wasn't aware of.
SkyF1 Writing in Motorsport magazine, Hughes discloses that Mercedes' breakthrough 'innovation is having the turbo's compressor at one end of the engine and the turbine at the other, linked by a long shaft through the vee of the engine'.

The 'trick turbo layout' triggers a series of critical performance benefits. As the air is not travelling through as much pipework, a reduction in turbo lag means less power needs to be be harvested from the car's ERS unit to keep the turbine spooled off throttle. That in turn improves the efficiency of the car, with more power reserved for performance gain and less fuel consequentially used up.

Mercedes' customer teams all have the same advantage. However, because McLaren, Williams and Force India only took delivery of their power units relatively recently, they have had less time to work the layout into their respective car designs. But for the works outfit, the benefits of the W05's innovative layout has proved multifaceted.
4) reduced turbo lag
5) increase power due to having less energy siphoned to keep the turbo spooled

I understand that you're point is there is no power from the cooler air Trini, but you're not looking at the big picture.
as I have stated already I was never talking about the big picture. Many of the points you made here could very well be true. All I was doing is addressing an incorrect claim made by somebody else. THAT IS ALL.
Even in the small picture it is a very universal understanding that hot air is harder to compress. The F1 engines will have losses across the turbocharger and in the cylinders itself.

Without going into any equations.. (I am very rusty here!) I have a screen grab from Wartsila's website on how temperature affects generator output. Granted these are very large plants here but the effect holds true for any engine. Below is a comparison to piston engine (less sensitive to ambient changes) to turbine, but the effect is still there.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

Oh I forgot to add this to my post.

efficiency loss with temperature shown below.. this is for a powerplant.

The above post(s) is for illustration. We must keep in mind that intake temperatures in a turbocharged car is on the higher end of the scale so you will see a steeper drop.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

dmjunqueira

Is this the 2015 car new nose? Looks like Red bull style...

Look at 1:09 of the video:

OO7
OO7

dmjunqueira wrote:http://s29.postimg.org/63lb6tz5j/NEWNOSE.png

No. The nose in the image would not be legal under the 2015 technical regulations. For instance, it is too short.

dmjunqueira

And at 0:21 of this video:

...when the blue hair lady is painting the car, the air inlet "ears" at the sides of the roll hoop look different from last year's car (IMO)...they look more protuberant.

The livery looks different aswell...the black stripe below the roll hope is different...but it could be only a unfinished paint job.

Funny video by the way.

dmjunqueira

Blaze1 wrote:
dmjunqueira wrote:http://s29.postimg.org/63lb6tz5j/NEWNOSE.png

No. The nose in the image would not be legal under the 2015 technical regulations. For instance, it is too short.
Well noted.

SectorOne

it´s a W05 you see in the sketch. Nobody in their right mind would just drop such a clear image of their car this early.

I think the coolest part of the image is the vortices ;)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blackout

dmjunqueira wrote:And at 0:21 of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKDhllq ... 2je3rwE51o

...when the blue hair lady is painting the car, the air inlet "ears" at the sides of the roll hoop look different from last year's car (IMO)...they look more protuberant.
http://s23.postimg.org/5gyea7m7f/ROLLHOOPEARS.png

The livery looks different aswell...the black stripe below the roll hope is different...but it could be only a unfinished paint job.

Funny video by the way.
It's me or the little hole inder the main intake is much larger/rectangular/elliptic than the W05 one?
That livery is diffrent indeed. Especially the black part.

astracrazy
astracrazy

The livery is the same, just not yet complete

It looks like the thick black part has just been done (around the puma logo area), and she is prob just about to blend the black into the silver above it (which might be why the rest is covered up apart from that area).

FrukostScones

Richard wrote:

:?: as there were already a lot of rumors of a 60/70Hp Mercedes PU gain for 2015, I think the 50HP gain which AMUS reports (based on their inside information) is very plausible.
Remember in 2013/2014 they were rumors about the performance of the Merc PU (and in comparison to the other manufacturers) as well (and all pretty much were true)
No, the German press (can't compare AMUS to normal Press/tabloids )does not say Mercedes is the best, AMUS (which is mostly very neutral and well informed) is just reporting their inside knowldege (which they have, and from time to time very valuable one, in oct. 2008 they reported that the new Honda was a downforce wonder...we know what happened with brawn :D )
Also the PU manucfacturers and teams are pretty much claiming not much.

BTW: I have the feeling the brake disc speed rule was rewritten/added because of Merc? (edit: all those brake problems they had on the rears and sometimes also at the front...)
anyone heard more about it?
sry for my horrible english today or anyday :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.