Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Moose
Moose

Re: Red Bull Renault RB11 speculation thread

Blackout wrote:Log manifolds + classic turbo layout => the compressor is sandwiched between two very hot manifolds. :-k Interesting.
850hp => 43% thermal efficiency which is hard to believe (Williams confirms in the last F1 racing that fuel heat content is around 43MJ/kg)
Again, only if you assume the fuel is right at the very lower limit of the energy density of petrol.

PlatinumZealot

Their fuel must be a the highest energy density of petrol. The textbook 44MJ per liter is just that. Fuel companies won't give F1 teams the same piss water petrol that we get on the roads. 50MJ per liter could be possible???
dren wrote:Renault stated a revised exhaust system, so I'm leaning towards a log style.
Log style would be counter productive to their knocking problems. Logs manifold sends back more heat back to the combustion chamber. I think they cannot use a log until their knocking problems are fully solve. I am leaning 90% to a revised tubular exhaust with more aggressive steps on the primary runners and 10% to log manifold.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:Their fuel must be a the highest energy density of petrol. The textbook 44MJ per liter is just that. Fuel companies won't give F1 teams the same piss water petrol that we get on the roads. 50MJ per liter could be possible???
dren wrote:Renault stated a revised exhaust system, so I'm leaning towards a log style.
Log style would be counter productive to their knocking problems. Logs manifold sends back more heat back to the combustion chamber. I think they cannot use a log until their knocking problems are fully solve. I am leaning 90% to a revised tubular exhaust with more aggressive steps on the primary runners and 10% to log manifold.
Renault also stated a redesigned combustion chamber, new turbine and compressor. I'm guessing they have solved their knocking problems.
Honda!

ME4ME

If pictures are to be believed, it's a normal exhaust layout this year too.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 16779.html

I'm personally not convinced a log-style exhaust is better anyway. But let's wait and see how this years PU performs in relation to other PU's.

dren

ME4ME wrote:If pictures are to be believed, it's a normal exhaust layout this year too.

I'm personally not convinced a log-style exhaust is better anyway. But let's wait and see how this years PU performs in relation to other PU's.
That's the same press picture as last year.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

dren wrote:
ME4ME wrote:If pictures are to be believed, it's a normal exhaust layout this year too.

That's the same press picture as last year.
It is not the same rendering... that is new... don't know if the engine is though but we will see sooner or later.

Blackout

Yes it is the same 2014 'showengine'* (first introduced in le Bourget, Paris, late 2013 or early 2014). It didnt change at all since then.
*Which is not the real engine; the 2014 'showengine' ICE is very close, if not identical to the real 2014 ICE, but the turbo, it's airbox, the exhausts and the oil tank (a V8 oil tank) are mock-ups or old protoytpes, not race specs.
Yes it has some differences with the (2013-2014) Renault 3d renders too.

ecapox

If Omincorse is to believed, the RB11 hasn't yet passed the front nose crash test...putting in peril making the first test day.

Cub
Cub

Blackout wrote:Log manifolds + classic turbo layout => the compressor is sandwiched between two very hot manifolds. :-k Interesting.
850hp => 43% thermal efficiency which is hard to believe (Williams confirms in the last F1 racing that fuel heat content is around 43MJ/kg)
No offense, but you need to check your math.

Assume LHV = 44MJ/kg. This is the same LHV of diesel, which is 6% higher than petrol and a good guess for F1 fuel. They may go higher, but not astronomically...

Ideal combustion power: (44MJ/kg) x (100kg/hr) x (1 hr/60min) x (1min/60sec) x (1000kJ/1MJ) = 1222 kW

850hp X 1kw/1.34kW = 634kW

BTE = 634 kW / 1222kW = 51.9%

That said... it's cheating to use the KERs recovered power for BTE calculation (maybe you already backed that out from the 850hp), so let's say the engine without KERS makes around 700hp, in which case the calculation is same as yours around 43%, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 2015 ICE + MGU-H are above 700hp...

Moose
Moose

Cub wrote:
No offense, but you need to check your math.

Assume LHV = 44MJ/kg. This is the same LHV of diesel, which is 6% higher than petrol and a good guess for F1 fuel. They may go higher, but not astronomically...
You're both out. Typical pump gasoline energy density is 44.4MJ/kg. Assuming your 6% margin F1 gasoline could be around 47MJ/kg. Given that...

47 * 0.278 = 1.305MW
Without KERS
690 * 745.7 = 514.5MW

Efficiency = 39.4%

PlatinumZealot

We all know that Gasoline is made up of hydrocarbons with different chain lengths. Now imagine if one could engineer fuel that only has the shortest chain lengths? You could easily raise the average lower heating value of gasoline much higher. You can even put in special additives to raise it higher even.

This is a textbook chart... keep in mind that just like how textbooks tell you that pistons engines are only 30% efficient, the same way textbooks tell you that gasoline has 45.7 MJ heating value... What I am saying is that there are so many engineered fuels out there that you are not going to see in a textbook... there could very well be f1 fuel out there that is 50MJ/L. We just don't know.

gandharva

Probably only to push the hit counts of their website, but... Omnicorse reporting RB11 did not pass the FIA crash test. They also speculate towards a very short nose.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... n-superato
Last edited by gandharva on 30 Jan 2015, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

gandharva wrote:Probably only to push the hit counts of their website, but... Omnicorse reporting RB11 did not pass the FIA crash test.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... n-superato
sounds legit info,

we will see it when "the nose is short with a small bulb"

lets see if they pass it 2 morrow! :mrgreen: tight sh't
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

gandharva

Scarbs was told it's the opposite. -> Long overhanging nose. His hit counter is way better imho. ;)
scarbs wrote:I'm told the Renault PU will be packaged differently, but not exactly how. I know the RBR nose will be a long version overhanging the front wing. It will keep the S duct and bulbous chin fairing.

FrukostScones

maybe he mixed it up with Ferrari or McLaren :mrgreen: well see... :lol:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.