New quali format

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
emburmak
emburmak

I loved it!! Great improvement over the old system. The 1&2 were entralling and the final seconds of the 3rd were reminiscent of the last second qualifying duels of old! 8) 8)

manchild
manchild

The thing is that being 11th is much better than being 10th, 9th or even one or two positions more in front because 11th place enables driver to fill his car as much as he likes while 10th must run on fuel it entered 3rd part of qualiying which means staring on low fuel, infront of those at P 11, P12 and almost certianly loosing that P10 after frist refueling and further on.

If you'd have identical cars on for exmaple P 8,9 and 10 and also identical cars on P 11,12 and 13 than according to this qualifying system those cars starting from 11+ positions would have advantage. Not to mention what happens if cars on P 11+ are faster.

johny

you could qualify 10 with whatever fuel load you want, you'll be slower in last qualy section but you'll have full tank too

manchild
manchild

Why would anyone who enters 3rd stint deliberately give up from trying to make better position by filling up the car before it begins?

acer

it is quite dizzy in its format but it's challenginf too :P ...one thing is that the driver will not continue if he is the 4 slowest or an accident..and fills the last four spots on the grid for Sunday.. :oops: ...Kimi just crashed out the first round.....his rear wing went off under braking and the chasis crushed the right suspension into pieces..altrough he manage to get that Mp4-21 back into the pits.... :roll: ..he start's last tomorow...STR and Honda have been very fast in qualifying and I think Williams wants an average weekend before charging into Malaysia....the race is tomorow..enjoy the Gulf Air Bahrain GP :wink:
You will never know the feeling of a driver when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings that cannot be understood. - Ayrton Senna

Tom

It is definatly the 2nd best system I've seen, but then again it is only 2nd best. Do u follow?

I liked the old system and surely the FIA could cure the 20 mins of nothing happening by telling each driver that they must set a time within 10mins, then they are free to do as they like.
Also this would clean the track, so we could see pole taken after 45 mins rather than the last 2.

as for arteficial overtaking, manchild, you seem sensible enough not to support MS ( :mrgreen: ), would you rather see varied grids with Ralfy near the back
and Massa second or that smug asswipe on the front row every race.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

acer

many ppl is complaining that is dizzy with topsy-turvy times....i'm starting to feel it's crazy aswell and thanks but no thanks to Mad Max....eveyone is complaining it's format is crazy
You will never know the feeling of a driver when winning a race. The helmet hides feelings that cannot be understood. - Ayrton Senna

johny

that one is better compared to last one more cars, more action the only problem is the lack of information and with that crappy tv broadcasting you feel very confused

Tom

In the first session it seemed we had a mini GP!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Scuderia_Russ

I think this new format is a winner, better than the twelve lap twoddle of a few years back. Now both drivers and teams are under pressure to perform for the whole hour. Very exciting.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

zac510
zac510

Scuderia_Russ wrote:I think this new format is a winner, better than the twelve lap twoddle of a few years back. Now both drivers and teams are under pressure to perform for the whole hour. Very exciting.
Even if you have a dominant vehicle you'll still have to work at it to get into the top 10.

Sawtooth-spike

i think they just need to sort out the 3rd section and it will be fine.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

phantomfocus
phantomfocus

Like any new system we all need to get used to it. But I personally liked it a lot. It creates nonstop action thru the entire hour, and ensures that lots of cars are always on track. I like it! :D

Scuderia_Russ

Sawtooth-spike wrote:i think they just need to sort out the 3rd section and it will be fine.
What's wrong with it?
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

johny

maybe 15 nosense minutes and 5 minutes of great action