World Endurance Championship 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Belatti
Belatti

Re: World Endurance Championship 2015

I think the reason for the front mounted engine and FWD is to collect more energy from the front brakes without having the weight penalty of rear wheel drive / mid engine cars. Obviously they found an aero advantage with that tunnel and tiny rear wheels (we will have to see...)

Its a nice brave project no matter the results, something we technical fans were asking for: energy limit rules and open configurations.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

TurboLag
TurboLag

Ok, THIS is exciting! How will this handle low speed corner exits compared to a MR design? I mean, releasing a few hundred kW on the turning wheels would put a HUGE demand on the tires, wouldn't it? Especially since weight transfer (probably not the correct term, but you get it) also will contribute to unloading thw the driven wheels?

I hope I'm proven wrong though, and innovation is rewarded here :)

FW17

looks like a liquid intercooler behind the front wheel

MadMatt
MadMatt

Friction drag on the tunnels must be huge. I wonder how much air they can extract with these upper tunnels, they are so long.

RicerDude

This thing is going to turn in like a beast, then understeer like a dog. All that weight up front will compensate for the rear weight and downforce biased found in all mid engined prototypes.

Tim.Wright

How do you know how its balanced without knowing anything about the tyre construction?
Not the engineer at Force India

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Looks incredible, can't wait for Le Mans.

Another deathknoll to the myth of F1 being the height of engineering & innovation.

FW17

Jonnycraig wrote:Looks incredible, can't wait for Le Mans.

Another deathknoll to the myth of F1 being the height of engineering & innovation.

What innovation?

RicerDude

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Looks incredible, can't wait for Le Mans.

What innovation?
Front engined, with gearbox infront of the engine? Driving the front wheels? Trimming out the rear like a teardrop? C'mon guys this is one of the most revolutionary race cars ever, during a time where innovation in Motorsport is becoming so difficult.

MadMatt
MadMatt

I agree, I am also sad to see that like the DeltaWing, when people try something new they get bashed. I like this project and I cannot wait to see how it performs! :)

Sorry but I prefer this car than another Porsche-Audi-whatever that all look the same!

-Felix-
-Felix-

I'm so excited by the concept of this car, there are so many nice designs on it! I HAVE to go to Le Mans to see this thing! And I want it to kick ass. Sorry for my choice of words but this car is bonkers. It even has offset half shafts on the rear to clear the huge tunnels with gears inside the upright. That's some first class engineering po*n =D>

Harvey
Harvey

Can someone explain to me how the rear wheels are driven? I see a very compact rear suspension setup, with outdoor coilovers, and no penetration from this suspension setup into the rear tunnel. So where are the motors? I don't see any in the picture of the rear with the clamshell removed.

Here's the two pics I'm referencing:
http://postimg.org/image/ru3ny6fdf/
http://postimg.org/image/yqxuapbo3/

Image tags won't work, hence just URLs.

FW17

Don't think the system is hooked up yet

Callum

Fantastic under-the-cover pics can be found here:

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/1 ... _Pruett_55

We've been give some very nice access to the car!

TurboLag
TurboLag

Harvey wrote:Can someone explain to me how the rear wheels are driven?
They aren't :)