Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

AnthonyG wrote:If Magnussen drives Australia, does that mean McLaren can field an extra engine?
No. 4 Engines per Car per Season, no matter who drives it.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

RZS10

lebesset wrote:my memories of alonso winning the WDC ar of him starting behind but the renault being exceptional at getting off the line [...] recent ferrari's were also quicker off the line [...]
or maybe, just maybe, it is the driver who is that good off the line

lebesset
lebesset

RZS10 wrote:
lebesset wrote:my memories of alonso winning the WDC ar of him starting behind but the renault being exceptional at getting off the line [...] recent ferrari's were also quicker off the line [...]

that wouldn't explain why the other car in the team was quick off the line
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

f1universe
f1universe

lebesset wrote:
RZS10 wrote:

Is not about being fast off the line, is about what you do with that speed, Alonso is king in that regard.

adrianjordan

lebesset wrote:
RZS10 wrote:

Maybe the other driver was also quick off the line :wink:
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

AnthonyG

I had to chuckle at this. :mrgreen:
Before McLaren switched to Honda power last year, Ron Dennis said it is impossible for a customer team to win the world championship. Do you agree with that?

"Well, when he was the works Mercedes team he got beaten by Brawn, didn't he? Maybe it's just difficult for him to win. Just like it's difficult for him to find title sponsors."
Source http://en.espnf1.com/williams/motorspor ... KFqwK5E.99
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Just like when Symonds found it difficult to win in 2008 especially in Singapore.........

maccafan
maccafan

The comment from Symonds surprised me. Seems like a cheap shot for no good reason.

iotar__

I don't understand Symonds' joke, Dennis clearly was talking about different and more importantly new engine rules, opened development, hybrids, big budgets etc. A customer can't beat a manufacturer, those whining now about Mercedes' dominance like Ferrari and Red Bull knew exactly the implications of new engines and they loved it. Second reason is budgets (the horror!), another area benefiting them, the only problem is Merc outspent and out-developed them. You are a manufacturer, you have twice resources of the same engine teams, your only 100% comparable competition is Ferrari (Red Bull is at 90%), you are + 0,5 in front, no miracles and genius designers needed for a team that was comparable to Sauber couple years before hybrids. Instead of laughing Williams should ponder where they would be with Renault in 2014 and how to close a huge gap to Merc.

More importantly Honda's money is keeping McLaren alive even without sponsors, they really had no choice. It's easy to be arrogant when engine supplier and extra Ecclestone money is bankrolling all your failures, like being badly beaten by Williams last season.

bauc

maccafan wrote:The comment from Symonds surprised me. Seems like a cheap shot for no good reason.
I agree 100%, people do have short memories
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Vasconia

lebesset wrote:the thing that worries me is the fact that , even if the car is competitive with mercedes , both button and alonso are good , but not outstanding , qualifiers whereas hamilton and rosberg seem to be in the top rank
my memories of alonso winning the WDC ar of him starting behind but the renault being exceptional at getting off the line , never understood why it was quite that good , rumours of illegal devices seem hard to believe , maybe the michelin tyres being carefully designed to the car's needs had something to do with it ...we will never know ; recent ferrari's were also quicker off the line than in the race as well !
we shall see ......hoping for more competition at the front asap
If I am not wrong Renault had a launching system, at least between 2003 and 2005, which was the best of the field. Alonso is good at doing this but sometimes Renault had a surrealistic advantange in that aspect. For example I remember Canada 2005.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Vasconia wrote:
lebesset wrote:the thing that worries me is the fact that , even if the car is competitive with mercedes , both button and alonso are good , but not outstanding , qualifiers whereas hamilton and rosberg seem to be in the top rank
my memories of alonso winning the WDC ar of him starting behind but the renault being exceptional at getting off the line , never understood why it was quite that good , rumours of illegal devices seem hard to believe , maybe the michelin tyres being carefully designed to the car's needs had something to do with it ...we will never know ; recent ferrari's were also quicker off the line than in the race as well !
we shall see ......hoping for more competition at the front asap
If I am not wrong Renault had a launching system, at least between 2003 and 2005, which was the best of the field. Alonso is good at doing this but sometimes Renault had a surrealistic advantange in that aspect. For example I remember Canada 2005.

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

j2004p
j2004p

The crazy thing about that canada start was his reaction wasn't even as good as the cars ahead. Just the initial phase of the start destroyed the other cars.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Let's not forget that Alonso was the same at Ferrari one of the seasons, think it was 12 or 13, where for about 6-7 rounds he was making at least 3 places on average each race.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

ChrisF1 wrote:Let's not forget that Alonso was the same at Ferrari one of the seasons, think it was 12 or 13, where for about 6-7 rounds he was making at least 3 places on average each race.
That was 2012, however both Ferrari's were very good off the line. It was what made the Massa gearbox change in Austin such an easy decision as it have Alonso the clean line and a guaranteed 3/4 place jump off the line.