Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
windwaves
windwaves

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Thunders wrote:100 trouble free Laps and Loads of Data. They desperately needed that.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2015/te ... e-day-two/
EXACTLY

Some relief at least.

I said it all along, with basically no laps done in pre-season testing they would have spent the actual season trying to recover the data gap.

windwaves
windwaves

WilliamsF1 wrote:looks like Button is happy again.

ahahaha

oh well, I feel for him and Alonso, what a mess this season so far.

CjC
CjC

A decent read, it's not got all the answers and hopefull BS some my want to read, but nonetheless its a decent arricle

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/32737663
Just a fan's point of view

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

CjC wrote:A decent read, it's not got all the answers and hopefull BS some my want to read, but nonetheless its a decent arricle

so, will eric take responsibility and leave?

If Ferrari can fix their things by givin' the entire team the boot, surely Mclaren can do it too?
let's start with Mr. Bouillier, and have Ron return to Woking and appoint some men that really
know what they're doing.

Did Whitmarsh ever pop up again or is he still floating around in some oil drum somewhere?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

Manoah2u wrote:
CjC wrote:A decent read, it's not got all the answers and hopefull BS some my want to read, but nonetheless its a decent arricle

If Ferrari can fix their things by givin' the entire team the boot, surely Mclaren can do it too?
let's start with Mr. Bouillier, and have Ron return to Woking and appoint some men that really
know what they're doing.

Did Whitmarsh ever pop up again or is he still floating around in some oil drum somewhere?

Last I heard, Whitmarsh working some sailing project with Newey.

Didn't McLaren do the reboot thing last year? They sacked some people from their Aero. Eric is the guy they called in to perform the reboot. It's only his second season and to be honest, He started in Jan of 2014. He's been there barely 12 month. You can't blame last year's car on him. It was Whitmarch's ,he inherited it.

PP's only been there since Sept so they've got alot of changes to make.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:

What fixed Ferrari?

If my memory serve me well, Alonso was 2nd on the WDC with Ferrari twice (2010 and 2012). Do you think any Ferrari driver will improve, or at least equal that this season?

There has been a lot of stir with Vettel´s victory, but that actually means nothing. Alonso won 11 races with Ferrari, and you see how frustrated he ended up with the red team

Maybe on these days Ferrari is happy with second position, but I don´t that´s their target. Neither for Alonso, that´s the reason he left Ferrari, and I see no signs he should have stayed. Looking at McLaren you can be tempted to think so, but as he said himself, he doesn´t care finishing 2nd or 12th, he only cares about winning, and current project look more motivating for him than staying with Ferrari to fight for the second position again

Too soon to judge McLaren, there are signs to be optimistic and pesimistic, depending on how do you want to look at it, we´ll have to wait a bit more to make a fair statement

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

diffuser wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

know what they're doing.

Last I heard, Whitmarsh working some sailing project with Newey.

Didn't McLaren do the reboot thing last year? They sacked some people from their Aero. Eric is the guy they called in to perform the reboot. It's only his second season and to be honest, He started in Jan of 2014. He's been there barely 12 month. You can't blame last year's car on him. It was Whitmarch's ,he inherited it.

PP's only been there since Sept so they've got alot of changes to make.
Yes, but i can't really see it working. I don't see the passion or the level of commitment needed to get to #1 from mr. Bouillier. If you look at Ferrari, the restructuring had immediate effect. At Mclaren, i rather see a continuation of how Ferrari was in the Domenicali-era.

To be honest, i don't think Eric is champion-leadership material. I think somebody like Christian Horner would do a much better job @ Mclaren imho. I get a far too corporate businessman vibe from Eric, rather a organising manager instead of a man who is going to push people in the right direction, something Arrivabene clearly masters and Horner seemingly also has, and people like Brawn and Wolff also have.

I get his 'transition' feeling from Eric, though i must say Mclaren imho has become way too sterile environment. It's like there is no passion and passion gets pr-d away.

Who to replace him with? good question, i rather don't know - but, as Ferrari has shown, it doesn't neccesaril have to be a F1-experienced lad.

I would be inclined to advise somebody with the likes of

Andrew Wilson—CEO of Electronic Arts ,

whom turned EA up by 96% stock price, recognising the desire and demand of the 'product' that could be offered and then adapted the company to respond and supply in a resolving and satisfying manner,
something EA avoided the years before but competition did not.
It would be a man that has the experience to adequately respond to the situation, and turn the 'company' into the right direction. Meanwhile, as head of EA, he could even find himself bringing a sponsor to Mclaren and offering an interesting multimedia platform through his connections at EA.

Bring Ross Brawn out of retirement to assist/pair with Andrew Wilson. Send Ron Dennis back to the Mclaren Car division to have him sit at his deck with his neck up.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

You cannot be serious in wanting the CEO of EA to run Mclaren.

aterren
aterren

Maybe he IS Adrew Wilson!

Thunder

Yeahh sure, hire an EA Guy. In 2 Years McLaren would pull out of F1 and their Roadcar section would build E-Bikes. Every 6 months a new Verision of their Bikes would come out with "spectcular Changes giving you an experience never seen before" like ... well... a new Name (something Fancy like "Ebike 2" or "Ebike 2.1) or a new Livery....But hey, McLaren would make more Profit, and that's what it's all about.

It's far too early to judge EB, just like it is questionable to say the Changes at Ferrari had immediate effect. A Win every once in a while is something they had for Years now. In fact i see very good signs at Mclaren for the Future and once the PU gets better and PP can do his Magic things will start to turn up.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

kaepernickus

Though it would be interesting to see him bringing microtransactions and DLCs to F1/McLaren. :wink:

I honestly don't see why Boullier should be THAT bad and Horner so much better.

Boullier has done a great job at the rather cash-strapped Lotus (Renault) team and changed a lot at McLaren since his arrival. Those (still quite recent) changes combined with the switch to engine-newbie Honda still need time to develop and can't/shouldn't be judged already.

Horner has imo still a lot to prove as well. During the successful time of RBR he did benefit a lot from Newey's (who was brought in by Mateschitz/Marko) exceptional aero with Vettel (a Marko protege) being the perfect fit for that car.

Considering Arrivabene, I do like him very much and he's a great PR guy. Yet I doubt he would be a good fit for a british/japanese outfit
Boullier surely isn't as charismatic and less of a PR guy, but he has good motorsport experience (DAMS, Lotus-Renault), great technical knowledge (he's an aerospace engineer after all) and his calm, analytical style is (as far as I'm concerned) a better fit for this team.
Just imagine Arrivabene calling Arai: " Eeh, Yasuhisa! Isa Maurizio 'ere..." :lol:

Postmoe

Why would McLaren benefit from a guy that comes from the worst company in the gaming arena?

EA is the absolute worst in terms of realising innovative products.

Avocado
Avocado

Postmoe wrote:Why would McLaren benefit from a guy that comes from the worst company in the gaming arena?

EA is the absolute worst in terms of realising innovative products.
This.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. #-o EA?? Are you serious???

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Some mod should clean up this EA crap, it's not relevant in any way unless of course we want to discuss how Bill Gates would do at MCL, or even better, let us just clone Steve Jobs, he was brilliant and his clone will bring McLaren dominance for the coming decades.

Facts Only
Facts Only

I was speaking to another F1 engineer the other day who wont go anywhere near McLaren because of the way they treat their staff like prisoners who need every part of there day controlled to the Nth degree.

Mclaren need good engineers who can be creative and work hard but also happilly, banning having drinks at your desk, treating the car park like an excerceise in perfect alignment and talking down to people so much in interviews that they dont even want the second interview is ruining their ability to get decent people.

This sort of story (whether 100% true or not) get discussed over lunch in other engineering facilities and puts people off even wanting to go for an interview there. Add that to the hideous price of living in Surrey or the horrible roads to cummute there and people will not even entertain the idea of heading down there for a job.

I've never worked for Mclaren but I have heard so many ridiculous stories from people who used to work there (note they they used to as they have left to go elswhere) that I didn't even bother hearing out the recruiter who called about a job there a year or so ago.

One of the maddest stories I heard was that Whitmarsh had a load of large pictures put up around the office of Mclarens and Ron Dennis ordered them all to be pulled down so they could have plain walls. Obviously being inspired was not something he wanted from the engineers.

By the way, pictures on the walls are a pretty standard thing in F1 teams, its just a nice thing to have, Its hard to find pictures of F1 offices but while they are all pretty plain they all have pictures all over the place. Note I'm talking about the actual engineering offices, not the reception areas:

Mercedes HPP

Red Bull

Marussia
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver