Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

My question to you then is would you engineer at Mclaren if Ron Dennis wasn't there?
Just a fan's point of view

Facts Only
Facts Only

My circumstances have changed recently to mean it wouldn't be practical to work there anyway. But if that wasn't the case and the Ron Dennis culture properly changed to then it would be a place I would love to work.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

CjC
CjC

I see, well Ron might only have 10-15 years left and assuming your aren't an old timer too never say never haha.
Without meaning to compromise you, are you a Mclaren fan? Why would you love to work at Mclaren?
I'm a Mclaren fan so if I was in a F1 related job I would like to think I'd put up with hell to work there BUT it's not my job and I know what it's like to work somewhere you don't want to, you just have to move and be happy.

kaepernickus

About that dubious Mukomoto story:
"Honda was surprised to see an article on a supposedly reputable Spanish website regarding the young engineer Mr Mukomoto speaking about our Formula 1 project.
"Mr Mukomoto has not worked on our Formula 1 project, nor has he done an interview with the website concerned, or with any other international media."
http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/display/10260

diffuser

We do know that Ron Dennis owns controlling interest in McLaren right ? He isn't going anywhere unless he says so.

Maybe Dennis prefers a blank canvas ?
@"facts only" hard to judge what a place is like based only on people that have left. Since they likely left cause they didn't like the place, weren't moving up fast enough in the ranks or got fired. Anyways, I think we need to open another topic to talk bout this.

On the Sackings at Ferrari, When you Sack the number # 1 PU guy and replace him with the #2 guy, it isn't the same as replacing Merc PU with a Brand New untested Honda PU.

You could argue that the sackings at Ferrari were from a technical point largely Symbolic as Pat Fry's (with Allison's arrival the year before) tenure at Ferrari was nearing an end. Pat and Nicholas Tombazis were both Stefano Domenicali people who's days were numbered when Stefano left and they handed Allison the keys.

In 2013 Stefano had said that his job depended on how the F14T did on the track. That Ferrari couldn't beat Newey at Aero but now with a new PU, Ferrari could shine. When they didn't, he left, man of his word.

Mesteño

The interview comes from FOX, not any spanish newspaper.

Thunder

Mesteño wrote:The interview comes from FOX, not any spanish newspaper.
Hence why they added "or with any other international media".
Doesn't matter where it comes from, it is apparently wrong.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

windwaves
windwaves

diffuser wrote:We do know that Ron Dennis owns controlling interest in McLaren right ? He isn't going anywhere unless he says so.

Maybe Dennis prefers a blank canvas ?
@"facts only" hard to judge what a place is like based only on people that have left. Since they likely left cause they didn't like the place, weren't moving up fast enough in the ranks or got fired. Anyways, I think we need to open another topic to talk bout this.

On the Sackings at Ferrari, When you Sack the number # 1 PU guy and replace him with the #2 guy, it isn't the same as replacing Merc PU with a Brand New untested Honda PU.

You could argue that the sackings at Ferrari were from a technical point largely Symbolic as Pat Fry's (with Allison's arrival the year before) tenure at Ferrari was nearing an end. Pat and Nicholas Tombazis were both Stefano Domenicali people who's days were numbered when Stefano left and they handed Allison the keys.

In 2013 Stefano had said that his job depended on how the F14T did on the track. That Ferrari couldn't beat Newey at Aero but now with a new PU, Ferrari could shine. When they didn't, he left, man of his word.
The F14T could not beat Merc, RB AND Williams. Newey ? Domenicali was a failure of several years, should have left much earlier. He would not and was sacked.
His departure has had a very positive impact on the team, evidently.

Mesteño

Thunders wrote:
Mesteño wrote:The interview comes from FOX, not any spanish newspaper.
Hence why they added "or with any other international media".
Doesn't matter where it comes from, it is apparently wrong.
We'll see, Mukumoto said there would be a Spec B car in Silverstone.

Jordan44

"I was speaking to a McLaren employee the other week (motor cars not racing team, but they're all in the same building). They said initially the power unit was running at a compromised state, and at this speed, the aero looked really good and hence McLaren's expectation that they'll be fighting for podiums once the power unit issues were ironed out. Once they cranked up the power unit, more and more flaws were found with the aero package to a point where it's now a multi-season task to get McLaren to the front."

From someone on another forum.

the EDGE
the EDGE

J0rd4n wrote:"I was speaking to a McLaren employee the other week (motor cars not racing team, but they're all in the same building). They said initially the power unit was running at a compromised state, and at this speed, the aero looked really good and hence McLaren's expectation that they'll be fighting for podiums once the power unit issues were ironed out. Once they cranked up the power unit, more and more flaws were found with the aero package to a point where it's now a multi-season task to get McLaren to the front."

well he is not right about the sports cars and the F1 team being in the same building, so I its probably just more fan fantasy

there's at least 75 meters between the 2 of them!

DiogoBrand

the EDGE wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:"I was speaking to a McLaren employee the other week (motor cars not racing team, but they're all in the same building). They said initially the power unit was running at a compromised state, and at this speed, the aero looked really good and hence McLaren's expectation that they'll be fighting for podiums once the power unit issues were ironed out. Once they cranked up the power unit, more and more flaws were found with the aero package to a point where it's now a multi-season task to get McLaren to the front."

well he is not right about the sports cars and the F1 team being in the same building, so I its probably just more fan fantasy

there's at least 75 meters between the 2 of them!
The concept is probably right though. When and If the PU eventually starts performing, they'll probably have to develop a whole new set of things that they couldn't before because they didn't have the pace to test. 20Km/h faster or slower should make a gigantic difference on the chassis development.

windwaves
windwaves

omg omg

mrluke
mrluke

TBH I think the problem is Ron rather than Eric or Martin.

From the limited available information over the last few years it sounds that Martin was stuck in a power struggle with the culture formed and ingrained by Ron, we all know how that ended.

Eric made lotus / Renault a serious podium contender on very limited funds, difficult to lay blame at his door considering the last 3 seasons have been dire.

CjC
CjC

Martin Brundle from Sky suggested earlier in the season the aero/PU thing, he expected if the car was underpowered it would feel great. Makes sense as the cars aero isn't being pushed to the limits of grip.
Remember guys PP hasn't been there that long yet he can't wave a magic wand and it's done. Correct me if I'm wrong but hadn't the 30's concept been underway before he came off his gardening leave to join the team?