Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f300v10
f300v10

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

The Ferrari rear wing looks to have much more camber in the main plane, and a shorter cord upper flap at a higher AOA than the Mercedes:

siskue2005

A Rear wing to be efficent and produce maximum downforce and less drag the upper cord should be bigger,
The shorter upper cord was introduced for better topspeed when the DRS is opened.(stalls better)
So Ferrari are looking for better topspeed when the DRS is open and Merc is having better and efficient downforce
maybe Merc is relying on their better engine on topspeed and better cornering speed with higher downforce

Chene_Mostert

siskue2005 wrote:A Rear wing to be efficent and produce maximum downforce and less drag the upper cord should be bigger,
The shorter upper cord was introduced for better topspeed when the DRS is opened.(stalls better)
So Ferrari are looking for better topspeed when the DRS is open and Merc is having better and efficient downforce
maybe Merc is relying on their better engine on topspeed and better cornering speed with higher downforce
You've got it a bit mixed up.

Less drag = lower cord - Large, upper cord - small.
Max df = larger upper cord.
Bigger Drs effect when upper cord is larger.
Bigger upper cord = more drag less efficient l/d ratio.
For the rest you are about right, Mercedes AMG F1 running higher df, draggier rear wing. (engine power allows it)
Ferrari, lower df more drag efficient rear wing.
Last edited by Chene_Mostert on 17 Sep 2015, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Chene_Mostert wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:A Rear wing to be efficent and produce maximum downforce and less drag the upper cord should be bigger,

I would for the most part agree with your statement except for the DRS. There's some weird geometry considerations due to the amount of gap opening for DRS usage being fixed. You can potentially get a much lower AOA for a smaller flap than a larger one. Of course this is a trade.

https://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/05/ ... pen-wider/

Chene_Mostert

NoDivergence wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:

I would for the most part agree with your statement except for the DRS. There's some weird geometry considerations due to the amount of gap opening for DRS usage being fixed. You can potentially get a much lower AOA for a smaller flap than a larger one. Of course this is a trade.

https://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/05/ ... pen-wider/
We can not take all Scarbs' write ups at face value, he is not quite the engineer he aspires to be.
Maybe their is someone more knowledgeable than myself and Scarbs that can give us the answer?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

wesley123
wesley123

Sorry, but Scarbs is right on this one, the shorter chord flap has a better DRS effect.

It's fairly simple, when the flap is closed, you got a functional wing. The flap is a requirement to make the whole wing work.

When DRS opens the longer flap will retain a larger angle. Not only is the angle larger(and is there more area of the flap still in the wind) the position would also still aid the main wing element.

On the small chord the flap is horizontal or close to horizontal. Pretty much the leading edge is the sole thing that is directly in the airstream, this already is a significant change compared to the large flap. Because of the horizontal position of the flap, there also isn't enough low pressure to drive the main element, which in turn causes it to stall.
We have all seen it with the F-duct that a stalled rear wing will reduce drag.

So with that said, the smaller flap will have a better DRS effect. However, this wing design has less peak downforce than a wing with a large flap, which makes a large flap a possible choice(in contrast to 2011, when in Qualy you were allowed to use DRS everywhere, making a short flap the most efficient design everywhere).
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Chene_Mostert

Thank you for clearing it up Wesley123.
Very detailed explanation, so Ferrari will have less peak df combined with greater Drs effect :)

markp
markp

Not that the picture reflect the angles in the race as pictures are from Thursday but on the pictures of Merc and Ferrari it looks like Ferrari have a higher AOA with their shorter chord so although a shorter chord gives greater drs effect but less total downforce might they compensate for this with a higher AOA so they somewhat negate the lower downforce of a shorter chord but get a strong drs effect?

Hail22

Scuderia Ferrari, Singapore GP -

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

siskue2005

what is on that steering wheel?

zioture
zioture

Last edited by zioture on 18 Sep 2015, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

siskue2005 wrote:
what is on that steering wheel?
Just some form of protective cover for the screen in between sessions.

zioture
zioture

Hail22

Singapore GP - Friday Evening

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

ME4ME

Pull-rod front suspension, certainly Ferrari can't be quick in slow corners, especially street circuits. Oh wait. :lol: