Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

Today's Gazzetta issue. Piola on Ferrari. Nothing new that we didn't know of already.

-Allison and Resta have changed the placement of oil tank from last year now it is between engine and chassis which results in 5-6cm longer wheelbase for better aerodynamics at rear.
-Ferrari have studied and tried to overcome the weakness of F14-T. Starting with the PU with larger compressor-turbine.
-Exhaust design a compromise between power delivery from engine and sufficient heat supply to MGU-H.
-Revolutionary cooling system.
-Pullrod suspension exploited to the max with advantage of lower CoG. Also changed brake caliper position to lower CoG.
-Great work done on suspension to improve front and traction problems.
-Ferrari found better balance between suspension and aerodynamics in Malaysia.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

f300v10
f300v10

AMUS reports that some (not specified) drivers believe the Ferrari PU is already more powerfull than the Mercedes:

"A third point not mentioned by the English. It looks like that Ferrari with the engine can risk more than Mercedes. More and more drivers in the field are of the opinion that the Ferrari V6 turbo actually has more power."

Full article here: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 11392.html

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

How Ferrari kept it cool??? Technical analysis.

http://en.f1i.com/magazine/8577-how-fer ... aysia.html

jaba.hut

Peter Windsor and Scarbs analyze Sepang race:
https://youtu.be/9lXNLmM7pIc

F1.Ru

James Allison explains Ferrari's nose design

James Allison has explained the reasons behind Ferrari's long nose design this year and revealed that the team is working on shorter versions as a part of future updates...................................

Full Article Here >>>>
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

AnthonyG

He doesn't explain anything, clickbait.

(ok, just perhaps that a shorter nose is difficult due to the bulkhead design limiting crash test passage)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

henra
henra

AnthonyG wrote:He doesn't explain anything, clickbait.

(ok, just perhaps that a shorter nose is difficult due to the bulkhead design limiting crash test passage)
Exactly. Plus I'm puzzled why their bulkhead would be in a totally different Position than Merc's?!

bhall II
bhall II

I think Allison may have left something unsaid...
"Where our front bulkhead is makes it rather difficult for us to get a nose designed to complement our particular aerodynamic concept that is super-duper short and still pass the crash test. We can go shorter than we are now, but we probably can't go as short as some of the others, but that's one of those things."
The SF15-T's nose appears to have a lower angle of incidence compared to that of the W06, for example, meaning it would probably require a nose-schlong in order to adhere to the regulations if shortened to the same degree as the W06.

If Ferrari's 2015 concept mirrors its 2014 concept, which seems to be the case, a lovepump might cause more problems than it's worth.

2014 vs 2015

henra
henra

bhall II wrote:I think Allison may have left something unsaid...
"Where our front bulkhead is makes it rather difficult for us to get a nose designed to complement our particular aerodynamic concept that is super-duper short and still pass the crash test. We can go shorter than we are now, but we probably can't go as short as some of the others, but that's one of those things."
The SF15-T's nose appears to have a lower angle of incidence compared to that of the W06, for example, meaning it would probably require a nose-schlong in order to adhere to the regulations if shortened to the same degree as the W06.
That seems to me a much more precise Explanation behind their reluctantness going for a short nose.
That said I'm still not 100% comvinced the short nose is under all circumctances the better nose under the 2015 regulations...

bhall II
bhall II

Agreed. If the 2015 concept is the same as last year, the Ferrari nose is fine, as it creates downforce on its own through the Venturi effect imparted by airflow that passes through the "tunnel" formed by the underside of the nose, the "skirts" that flank the underside of the nose, and the center section of the wing...

...and its rounded profile on top allows air flow that might ordinarily pass over the chassis to instead spill over the sides and then toward the back of the car, which somewhat mimics the old high-nose designs.

I suspect the current design might give the car a touch of pitch sensitivity due to the dynamic nature of the gap between the underside of the nose and the track surface directly beneath it as the car pitches back and forth. But, if the team can shorten the nose so the tip is at least in line with the leading edge of the wing, thus forming a static gap between the underside of the nose and the wing directly underneath, that ought to be good enough.

edxferrari

James Allison : "I have not constructed a screw on last year's car, even at the current SF15-T. My job is to decide to what component it is worth to be further developed." Interesting :?: :?:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 12113.html

Chene_Mostert

edxferrari wrote:James Allison : "I have not constructed a screw on last year's car, even at the current SF15-T. My job is to decide to what component it is worth to be further developed." Interesting :?: :?:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 12113.html
That is the role of a person in a senior management position...
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

ringo

bhall II wrote:I think Allison may have left something unsaid...

http://i.imgur.com/wIi2QgP.jpg

If Ferrari's 2015 concept mirrors its 2014 concept, which seems to be the case, a lovepump might cause more problems than it's worth.

http://i.imgur.com/ttMLQl8.jpg
2014 vs 2015
Take note of where the main structure is for the suspension parts. It further upstream than the other cars. This may be due to the pull rod suspension. But you can clearly see that the springs and other components supporting the suspension is at the front where the bulk head starts to taper down, compared to the Mercedes which has it's components more centrally located.
For Sure!!

fawe4
fawe4

ringo wrote: Take note of where the main structure is for the suspension parts. It further upstream than the other cars. This may be due to the pull rod suspension. But you can clearly see that the springs and other components supporting the suspension is at the front where the bulk head starts to taper down, compared to the Mercedes which has it's components more centrally located.
I think that's clearly the case. To make anything drastic in nose department, they'd need to move the upper wishbone to still comply with the nose rules, and that's something you would never do midseason.

bhall II
bhall II

For a short nose at any cost, the solution appears to be relatively simple if you're willing to alter the aerodynamics: square off the rounded edges and allow the contours of the chassis to define its shape.

Presto! You've now got a Merc-style short nose, and the suspension is already accommodated.

Or am I missing something?

EDIT: clarity
Last edited by bhall II on 07 Apr 2015, 17:58, edited 2 times in total.