Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Froggolo
Froggolo

Re: Ferrari SF15-T Pre-Launch Speculation Thread

techF1LES wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Ferrari running this version of the diffuser last year.

To me it looks like brand new floor with Red Bull-esque outer edges.
yes, i think too,
don't remember any F14-T diffuser with shape even closer to this, run in 2014, not even in fp
only RB had such smooth and "open" edges.
I hope this means they were able to seal it better with air flows,
and probably it could lead also to allow higher rake angles
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

aleks_ader

wesley123 wrote:imo the horizontal louvres are to deal with a pressure difference. On the inside of the end plate there is a good open area, while on the outside the airflow is spoiled by huge amounts of winglets generating downforce.

I think the slots are there to bleed airflow from the inside to the outside to tidy up the airflow and improve airflow out between the end plates/diffuser.
Yes like teams do with vertikal strakes aldready.

Ferrari seem think to try more "inconventional" solution. It is very common solution for RW endplate design. So they probably try reduce veortex from difuzor, with another bleede air vortex from this louvers.

Question is:

1) How effective is that solution with conjuction with ALL car. How cokebottle, blowing monkey seat, brake winglets, schroudet shaft cover, rear tire wake slots, fron wing vortez, Y250 vortekx, bargeboard, splitter effect on difuzor performance.

2) Could we make save bet that the brake winglets with conjunction of underside diffuser expansion (up-wash + rear out-wash ) provide much needed low pressure area on left side of left endplate?

3)Could central non energized cooling turbulent air from exit into middle part of diffuser aka coke-bottle provide enough pressure difference on right side of left endplate to counteract adding drag to provide better overall effective span of diffuser.

4) I dont remember many team to try effect so dramatically in those area this way. So why team refuse to do that and try that sort out differently (diferent cutout infront tire, diffuzor side cut out lips, winglets)? Could be reason in unpredicctabillty and unsteady flow condition under yaw. pitch?

So concept really seem like those from rear winglets.

Atention! Those two are not my drawings. It belongs to "duckants_bucket's Bucket" on photobucket website

i recommend to read those thread and expecially this commentary belov.
Just_a_fan wrote:Wings work because they have high pressure on one side and low pressure on the other (in simple terms). Naturally, the high pressure air wants to move in to the low pressure area (this is obvious in everyday life). To do this, it rolls around the end of the wing. This is fine. However, the wing is moving forward so the air rolling round the end forms a spiral - the vortex we see sometimes. On aircraft, the vortext is reduced by the little upturned ends we see on modern airliners.

Why is this important? Because the vortex has the effect of reducing the effective span of the wing. And if you reduce the span you reduce the lift (because lift is a function of the pressure difference per square metre of wing surface).

Wing endplates are very good at reducing this issue which is why F1 wings can generate so much downforce. However, because the rules limit the position of the rear wing and the teams want it as high as possible (for clean airflow), the wing is close to the top of the endplates. The 'bubble' of high pressure above the wing builds up and spills over the top of the endplate. This means the vortex can be generated afterall. By putting slots in the endplate the teams allow some of the high pressure air to bleed in to the low pressure air outside the endplate (lower pressure because it is moving quicker than the air above the wing).

What vortex is created is going to be rolling anti-clockwise (looking at the left side endplate looking from the front). The area behind the wing on the inside of the endplate is at lower pressure. By putting a cut out in this area the teams allow some of the low pressure area to try to set up a clockwise vortex. This counters the anti-clockwise flow and so reduces the overall vortex created.

The vortex has another effect - it creates drag because it contains a lot of energy; energy that has come from the car. Reduce the vortex and you reduce the drag and increase the downforce.

In summary, the slots and cut out improve the overall L/D of the car.
That pretty summsup my the whole point of this train of thoughts:
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

turbof1

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T

Topic unlocked. Remember:

-Discussion about the car ONLY. Talk about drivers or engineers belongs in the team thread.
-Discussion about sponsors, partnes and livery also belong in the team thread. However, if a technical partner delivers a product that directly goes into the car, then that is allowed here as long it's solely about the car. For instance Shell developing a new lubricant.
-Comparing laptimes belongs in the respective race or test thread.
-Speculation is NOT allowed. Discussion is limited purely to "what you can touch and see", about the psysical parts on the car.
-Moderators can split topics when they see fit.
#AeroFrodo

Advino116
Advino116

More screen shots of the car from the sticker time-lapse

[1] Seems like they retained nose concept from F14-T. Round edges of the nose allows air to roll off to the sides. Note difference in edge radius before and after suspension wishbone.
[2] "Pelican nose"' only at the tip?

[3] Stolen from the W05 :D

Last edited by Advino116 on 31 Jan 2015, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

henra
henra

dren wrote: The biggest change I see is their radiator layout. It allows them to finally have similar sidepod undercut to all of the other teams. They always had odd sidepods that had the opposite of an undercut.
+ 1
That plus the much smoother transition to the coke bottle inspires hope that it might work quite well. I was always a bit concerned about that transition which was much steeper and more squared than on any other car and had a rather big and low overhanging hot air exhaust which further increased the adverse pressure gradient in the coke bottle. I wonder if they had transient coke bottle flow separation with the old design. The F-14 sometimes seemed to be kicking like an angry Mustang.
Here's hoping for a more benign Prancing Horse....

Juzh

Şcarbs on SF-15T

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

so since when do Ferrari's F1 cars run ALFA ROMEO logo's again? :shock:

i love Alfa's, but is there anything more to this? [look to the right side of the UPS logo, near the black]
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

TechF1

Someone saw where this part has been mounted? :?:

Advino116
Advino116

Also, just noticed the totally new FW end plate!

f1motta
f1motta

Ferrari F14-T vs. SF15-T - http://www.f1talks.pl/f14-t-vs-sf15-t

mkable1370
mkable1370

TechF1 wrote:Someone saw where this part has been mounted? :?:
http://i.imgur.com/ufMKAca.jpg
Originally, I thought those might be new rearview mirror housings. Maybe they they aren't being shown on the launch car for some reason? Could be something else altogether?

SectorOne

Could be parts relating to accessories used when handling the car, maybe even the whole pit lights structure or something along those lines.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Harsha
Harsha

Is the Front wing same as they used in Yas Marina 2014?

poolboy67

La Gazzetta dello Sport reports ferrari has gotten 80bhp more from the new engine. quite nicely if it's true.
however i'd take that with a grain of salt.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

Rhodium

TechF1 wrote:Someone saw where this part has been mounted? :?:
http://i.imgur.com/ufMKAca.jpg

it's that piece, i think.

Last edited by Rhodium on 31 Jan 2015, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.