Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Advino116
Advino116

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

f1rules wrote:testing two different frontwings, difference is in the upper elements inner part,
has anyone got pictures, if mclaren run the diffuser with cutouts in the outer diffuser walls?

http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/dow ... -00135.jpg

http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/dow ... -00204.jpg

Good spot!

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

My impression is that the car is good but the problems with the PU have not yet been even close to solved and they are running the engine at x% down to get at least some running. They have already said they don't expect much to change before hitting Europe so no great surprise.

On a more positive note, my word the gearbox undercut and rear floor area is impressive. Also one of the cleanest rear wing flow vis I've seen. I'm 100% sure that with PU issues solved this car will be more than respectable.

AlainProst
AlainProst

Alexgtt wrote:My impression is that the car is good but the problems with the PU have not yet been even close to solved and they are running the engine at x% down to get at least some running. They have already said they don't expect much to change before hitting Europe so no great surprise.

On a more positive note, my word the gearbox undercut and rear floor area is impressive. Also one of the cleanest rear wing flow vis I've seen. I'm 100% sure that with PU issues solved this car will be more than respectable.
It's true, this car is aerodynamically impressive and really different of the MP4-29 but the engine is designed in Japan and the Honda factory is in Japan whereas McLaren factory is in England so the communication between the two partners is really bad. A McLaren engineer says that they're begining to communicate with McLaren outside the track but it's actually really complicated and McLaren isn't happy with the Honda work and they want axplanations.

dren

Dude, Honda engineers have been working at and with McLaren since before this time last year.
Honda!

ringo

I'm not impressed with the aerodynamics. Reason being there is no evidence to suggest anything is impressive about this car.
It has not run at full bore. So i will reserve judgement or praise until it is running 100%.

Honda is disappoint actually. They should not be having the problems they have if it is Ron is so impressed with their dedicated facilities. Maybe Japanese air is different and the engine can't breath well outside of Japan :lol: , but something isn't right at all and i don't think they have a quick fix.
For Sure!!

Shrieker

They were talking about going aggressive with the PU design since changes can be made on reliability grounds, i can't help but think Honda went too extreme with it. Hence, no quick fix.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

ringo wrote:I'm not impressed with the aerodynamics. Reason being there is no evidence to suggest anything is impressive about this car.
It has not run at full bore. So i will reserve judgement or praise until it is running 100%.

Honda is disappoint actually. They should not be having the problems they have if it is Ron is so impressed with their dedicated facilities. Maybe Japanese air is different and the engine can't breath well outside of Japan :lol: , but something isn't right at all and i don't think they have a quick fix.

I agree with you, they have not run the car at max yet to show how good it is aerodynamically but there is nothing to prove the car is slow as well. I think they can be up there when they sort out their PU issues but they also need to push the development to match other top teams.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

Chene_Mostert

ringo wrote:I'm not impressed with the aerodynamics. Reason being there is no evidence to suggest anything is impressive about this car.

It looks like in this case that tighter is not always better :oops:
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

AlainProst
AlainProst

Your judgement is premature. It's the first race of the season and you already have a definitive opinion.

You must realize that Honda has a year late, so if they want to be competitive in the short run, they have to be really aggressive and the aerodynamic confirm this.

Remember you last year, everybody laughed at Renault and many people (as this year) thought Ferrari engine was better than Renault but, at that time, they were just more reliable, particularly at the beginning of the season but after, Renault showed that their PU was really more efficient.

For Honda, it's a little the same but they had even more problems and this is what is strange and unacceptable level. It's a little the same than Renault, they have problems of communication between engine factory and team factory (Viry-le-Chatillon and Milton Keynes are distant unlike Brixworth is near Brackley for Mercedes) and for McLaren-Honda, there is 20 000 km between Japan and England, therefore, to communicate, this is not very easy. In addition, Japaneses are very confined on themselves.

AlainProst
AlainProst

Silent Storm wrote:

I agree with you, they have not run the car at max yet to show how good it is aerodynamically but there is nothing to prove the car is slow as well. I think they can be up there when they sort out their PU issues but they also need to push the development to match other top teams.
You can say you think the ar isn't aerodynamically impressive but if you look at the MP4-29, you feel the arrival of Peter Prodromou. You just have to compare the rear of the car : last year the engine cover was enormous whereas this year, it's ultrathin, you can also compare the front wing, the difference is very impressive. It's the Red Bull philosophy which is applied on this McLaren.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Yeah, it's redbull philosophy, but it looks hopelessly undeveloped compared to a car like the Mercedes.

santos
santos

AlainProst wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:

You can say you think the ar isn't aerodynamically impressive but if you look at the MP4-29, you feel the arrival of Peter Prodromou. You just have to compare the rear of the car : last year the engine cover was enormous whereas this year, it's ultrathin, you can also compare the front wing, the difference is very impressive. It's the Red Bull philosophy which is applied on this McLaren.
The Sauber C32 (the last with a V8) had sidepods like no one else. And what did they achive with that?

AlainProst
AlainProst

NoDivergence wrote:Yeah, it's redbull philosophy, but it looks hopelessly undeveloped compared to a car like the Mercedes.
Currently, the principal problem is the engine, not the aerodynamic. Of course, if the PU is not up, the aerodynamic becomes almost useless...

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

AlainProst wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:

I never said the car is not impressive aerodynamically, I said that we have not seen it being driven at max yet so can't comment on how good it is aerodynamically. Yes I agree the design philosophy is like Redbull but that does not mean it will be as fast as RB11
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

AlainProst
AlainProst

The Sauber C32 (the last with a V8) had sidepods like no one else. And what did they achive with that?[/quote]

McLaren side pods are really thin as Mercedes or Red Bull. It's probably the thinnest sidepods and you can't say that this has not influence on the car performance because it's one of the best master card of Adrian Newey on the RB6, RB7, RB8 and RB9. In 2013, Sauber had other problems and they was really better than in 2014...