Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RagingBullx
RagingBullx

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

3jawchuck wrote:Technical regulations 2015 say: "5.2.3 The MGU-K must be solely and permanently mechanically linked to the powertrain before the main clutch. This mechanical link must be of fixed speed ratio to the engine crankshaft."

Just an FYI for anyone wondering.
This rule relates to the mechanical link, does anybody have the rule regarding the construction/principal of the MGU-K? I seem to remember Mosley wanted to enable the use of mechanical KERS systems within the rules but his hands were tied for one reason or another...

charlex

Re: R: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

PlatinumZealot wrote:Who built the ERS again?
I read after Alo accident that MGU (K) is built by McLaren. Dunno if this is true and I cant find this info in prev comments
------
your question was about ers.. sorry

Mansell89
Mansell89

Some good running in extreme heat from McLaren this weekend- miles forward from Jerez and Barcelona.

Given that the engine is still not really close to 100%, is the fact that they were fighting in the midfield a real positive?

They are tough to read right now. They are somewhere between catastrophe and superb, and it will be an interesting journey to see where they end up.

I thought they would have a nightmare in the heat in Malaysia so I was very surprised with their progress. They've got another couple of hundred laps of data from the weekend and that has to be very useful. Hopefully they can keep progressing step by step each weekend and build a really nice 2016 McLaren Honda.

nevill3

A Jensen Button interview this weekend suggested that Mclaren's initial plan to not use too many engines in their pursuit of reliability and power has been abandoned. He said that most teams would use more than four engines and so would incur penalties before the end of the season so he thought trying to conserve their engines was pointless (then he mentioned that they may now get five engines anyway).

This is contrary to earlier interviews with Ron that suggested they were not prepared to blow up engines and incur the penalties that comes with using extra PUs.

My initial inference was that they were trying to get the first flyaway races done on one engine so that they could use a modified engine (may be use some tokens early) when they get to Europe.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

trinidefender
trinidefender

From what I can tell from race pictures it appears as if both cars had the new aero components for the race as far as the middle of the car is concerned (3 vortex generators, different bargeboards and new sidepod turning vanes). At the front of the cars it appears that the front wing was a hybrid of the new and old. It seems to have the new setup with smaller (shorter) cascades above the main wing elements while using the two upper main elements from the old wing.

From my perspective, the new wing was a slightly lower downforce setup while the old wing was a higher downforce setup (assuming both wings running the same angle). With this hybrid of new and old that was run, they may have preferred the flow structures set up around the front wheel (cascades play a large part in this from some CFD results I have seen) with the new wing while needing the extra downforce afforded by the larger upper wing elements of the old wing.

Just my two cents. Thoughts?

P.s. Can anybody confirm if both drivers ran this hybrid of new and old wing setups?

mikeerfol

I really like this photo

Chene_Mostert

The airbox area and front part of sidepods are very "chunky". Not quite size zero.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

The Moderator

I'm little bit confused :o :o
where is the problem?? is it MGU-K or the ERES?
can you explain it please?!

PlatinumZealot

Chene_Mostert wrote:The airbox area and front part of sidepods are very "chunky". Not quite size zero.
Nah.. it only looks that way because the everything else is so small. :mrgreen:

Like an "A" cup on a size zero supermodel as the name implies hahhaa.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Cuky

The Moderator wrote:I'm little bit confused :o :o
where is the problem?? is it MGU-K or the ERES?
can you explain it please?!

Well, MGU-K is part of ERS, together with MGU-H, Energy Storage and Control Electronics. So saying it is problem with MGU-K is just a bit more precise description than saying it is problem with ERS as you point to the exact part that is not working correctly.

diffuser

nevill3 wrote:A Jensen Button interview this weekend suggested that Mclaren's initial plan to not use too many engines in their pursuit of reliability and power has been abandoned. He said that most teams would use more than four engines and so would incur penalties before the end of the season so he thought trying to conserve their engines was pointless (then he mentioned that they may now get five engines anyway).

This is contrary to earlier interviews with Ron that suggested they were not prepared to blow up engines and incur the penalties that comes with using extra PUs.

My initial inference was that they were trying to get the first flyaway races done on one engine so that they could use a modified engine (may be use some tokens early) when they get to Europe.

I didn't take it that way. They just asked him about his concerns about taking penalties and he answered. Besides, with Alonso anyways , it appears like they brought him in before there was any damage. With Jenson, it's less obvious.but I think damaged was limited to the failed part.

Mr Alcatraz

nevill3 wrote:A Jensen Button interview this weekend suggested that Mclaren's initial plan to not use too many engines in their pursuit of reliability and power has been abandoned. He said that most teams would use more than four engines and so would incur penalties before the end of the season so he thought trying to conserve their engines was pointless (then he mentioned that they may now get five engines anyway).

+1 mate!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Mr Alcatraz

+1 mate!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

There seems to have been a small aero development that no one has mentioned on the tea-tray. They have added small vertical extensions to the front of the tea-tray, similar to what Mercedes have been running for a while IIRC.

Click on images for high-res

Australia:
Malasia

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

imightbewrong wrote:There seems to have been a small aero development that no one has mentioned on the tea-tray. They have added small vertical extensions to the front of the tea-tray, similar to what Mercedes have been running for a while IIRC.

Click on images for high-res

Australia:
http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2015/2015 ... 4P9139.jpg
Malasia
http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2015/2015 ... 0W2518.jpg
I'm edited: