Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Tim.Wright wrote:http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 854620.jpg

Looks like some flexural loading of the rigid body rules going on there...
That's what I was thinking as well with that slot.
Honda!

dren

Thunders wrote:So, to get back on Topic:

The McLaren Updates in Malaysia by AMuS.
This also shows the lower mount for the turning vane has been moved forward and closer to the sidepod.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
stefanf1 wrote:Vortex Generators push the front wheel wake over the rear wing, as a ambulant air flow creates less down force at the rear. good idea to have 3. :)
You want the front wheel wake as far away from everything as possible. In fact you want to reduce the front wheel wake as much as possible. That is where the idea for having so much out wash on the front wings came from. The blown wheel nuts. And generating a vortex around the front wheel though the use of the out was front wing and the turning vanes under the nose push air into the low pressure, twisting mass of air. By reducing this twisting and tumbling of air you reduce the negative effect it has on aerodynamic parts further down the car. By reducing the size of the low pressure region and reducing the low pressure gradient behind the tyre you are reducing the drag created by that wheel. Therefore controlling flow around the front wheels is critical to both reducing drag and creating downforce at the back of the car.
Speaking of blown wheel nuts... do you notice that only the brave teams are trying to learn it? Mclaren, Red Bull, Ferrari... The benefits of it must be worth all the trouble. I think Ferrari have got a good handle it now though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

maccafan
maccafan

This article confuses me.

http://en.f1i.com/news/8551-temperature ... 0&at_tot=2

I thought that the McLaren Honda would be more competitive in the cooler temperatures. And judging by the Buttons comments they were running more downforce compared to other midfielders, that is why they could enjoy better cornering speeds. Well lets see what they will bring to China, but it does not look promising.

trinidefender
trinidefender

PlatinumZealot wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
stefanf1 wrote:Vortex Generators push the front wheel wake over the rear wing, as a ambulant air flow creates less down force at the rear. good idea to have 3. :)
You want the front wheel wake as far away from everything as possible. In fact you want to reduce the front wheel wake as much as possible. That is where the idea for having so much out wash on the front wings came from. The blown wheel nuts. And generating a vortex around the front wheel though the use of the out was front wing and the turning vanes under the nose push air into the low pressure, twisting mass of air. By reducing this twisting and tumbling of air you reduce the negative effect it has on aerodynamic parts further down the car. By reducing the size of the low pressure region and reducing the low pressure gradient behind the tyre you are reducing the drag created by that wheel. Therefore controlling flow around the front wheels is critical to both reducing drag and creating downforce at the back of the car.
Speaking of blown wheel nuts... do you notice that only the brave teams are trying to learn it? Mclaren, Red Bull, Ferrari... The benefits of it must be worth all the trouble. I think Ferrari have got a good handle it now though.
Yes I noticed that. I think part of the decision if to use it actually comes in terms of pit stops. As we saw with Williams it does increase the chance that teams will mess up the pit stops somewhat getting the wheelnut drill onto the nut. Maybe some of the lower budget teams can't afford to take this chance.

Structurally I think this part may not be so simple to design and manufacture, further pushing teams with a lower budget to not pursue it.

On terms of it aerodynamically I am sure some people have thought that pushing more air through the rim itself will do the same thing and probably they are right. However to do that you have to push more air through the brakes themselves. This changes the very sensitive characteristics when it comes to transferring heat from the brakes to the wheel rim. Keeping the tyre temperature within range is far more important than the little bit of aero benefit by having more air flowing through the rim. Here is where the blown wheel nut comes in (BWN?). It allows teams to control how much airflow they want going through their brakes to control tyre temperature while at the same time it allows them to push more air through wheel nut to help control tyre wake.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Interesting comment from Button,saying China cool temperatures will hurt Mclaren aero advantage over others.
http://en.f1i.com/news/8551-temperature ... 18.twitter
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

the EDGE
the EDGE

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Interesting comment from Button,saying China cool temperatures will hurt Mclaren aero advantage over others.
I glade someone has posted this, thanks. I read this earlier and I just do not understand at all, why would cooler temps hurt aero in general, and why would it hurt McLaren more?

trinidefender
trinidefender

the EDGE wrote:
ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Interesting comment from Button,saying China cool temperatures will hurt Mclaren aero advantage over others.
I glade someone has posted this, thanks. I read this earlier and I just do not understand at all, why would cooler temps hurt aero in general, and why would it hurt McLaren more?
Cooler temperatures allow other teams to close up their rear bodywork more allowing for greater diffuser performance and rear end downforce. It can actually make quite a large difference. McLaren aren't in a place to close up their bodywork because a. It is already very right and b. They are still having temp problems, closing up the bodywork will just make exacerbate their problems.

Moose
Moose

the EDGE wrote:
The difference is likely to do with the fact that cooler air is more dense.

mikeerfol

Found it on Autosport forums, it's from the Malaysian race.

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

atlantis
atlantis

I bet Button was referring to low temps hurting McLaren wrt tyre usage

Gianlu27

mikeerfol wrote:Found it on Autosport forums, it's from the Malaysian race.

All ratings
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gianlu_DAle

"Life is about passion thank you for sharing mine" Forza Michael!

RZS10

Does anyone know how those ratings work?

RicME85

Its just a ranking of each driver between 1 and 10 for those categories isnt it?