Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Alonso;

On the Honda dyno there is more power and on the data is more power - you don't need any comparison, you just need to keep going and improving where we can."

can anyone guess what he means by this?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

shady wrote:^^ From the last page, I think this is FP1
Jef Patat wrote:
PhillipM wrote:I'd wait and see first, they're probably collecting data before ramping it up a bit - the car seemed to stop almost dead at around 300kph which was strange.
admittedly not fastest, but not 300 neither
http://i.imgur.com/zxc8YSC.jpg
You thought correctly :wink:

vantage87
vantage87

McLaren run new engine cover with new power unit – Tech Update

http://formulaspy.com/features/tech-ins ... unit-17637

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Flow vis on the rear wing, didn't see that on the tele, maybe someone can find some better pics of the rear changes?

Thunder

There is about an Inch of the RW Flap cut away (the upper Edge).

I wonder what that new Front wing will look. I think it will just be a low Downforce config and not a Merc / RB Copy since they only just introduced their current Wing and JB mentioned in the Team Preview that he feels they were running too much downforce today.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

radosav
radosav

GoranF1
GoranF1

Autosport+ article from Ben Anderson seems to suggest that Honda ICE upgrade works but due to the nature of SPA half way trough the lap the MP4-30 has 0% ERS power.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

ajnšpric_pumpa wrote:Alonso;

On the Honda dyno there is more power and on the data is more power - you don't need any comparison, you just need to keep going and improving where we can."

Sounds like he was asked to compare the Honda to another engine, and he's saying don't worry about comparing, the data shows we have more power. But hard to say out of context.

DiogoBrand

acosmichippo wrote:

Sounds like he was asked to compare the Honda to another engine, and he's saying don't worry about comparing, the data shows we have more power. But hard to say out of context.
That was my suspicion.
They probably invented some revolutionary technology that worked perfectly on the dyno but just can't seem to work on track, so now, being Honda, they'll probably insist on that untill they make the biggest revolution in engine design, or leave formula one in shame.

DiogoBrand

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... -grid.html

What the hell? So that means that every time they take a grid penalty and start from the back, they can actually take two full PUs each driver for the rest of the season? What if they decide to violate Parc Fermé and bring a third PU for each car, they'll just start from the pitlane and get three engines for the price of one?
I think that will really benefit Renault, now that they've run out of power units, they'll just have to sacrifice one race start to get two or three extra engines for each car. It's almost going to become a strategy subject, and I really doubt the FIA will allow that for next season. And as for Honda, their "in race testing" will come cheaper than I've expected.

ollandos
ollandos

alonso is very clear .....yes we have something more ....but not enough.....we need more and more everywhere

Soichiro
Soichiro

ollandos wrote:alonso is very clear .....yes we have something more ....but not enough.....we need more and more everywhere
That is how I understand his words, too. The comparison is between the old and new Honda engine. And I have a feeling he is not impressed by the performance gains, although he admits the gains are noted (in numbers).

f1rules
f1rules

you guys are to polite, to me it sounds more like, all the data shows we have more power, but i dont feel

f1rules
f1rules

Thunders wrote:There is about an Inch of the RW Flap cut away (the upper Edge).

I wonder what that new Front wing will look. I think it will just be a low Downforce config and not a Merc / RB Copy since they only just introduced their current Wing and JB mentioned in the Team Preview that he feels they were running too much downforce today.
according to autosport they will introduce a merc/rb style frontwing in singapore, and lets hope so, because that fw has catapulted rb back into shape

frosty125
frosty125

It looks the ICE has improved and could be better than Renault but the ERS is not delivering enough. According to EB they are deploying the 4MJ by about halfway through the lap and then they have no more MGU-K. Looks like the MGU-H/Turbo can't deliver enough to replenish the ES and deliver energy to the MGU-K. This was a big part of Ferrari's problem last year.